Options

1980's No Limits Powerplays

I'm trying to put together a CD (or several) of the songs that used to feature regularly on the mid-1980's BBC TWO pop/travel show No Limits that was presented by Jenny Powell and Tony Baker? Those who remember it may recall they used to have a kind of playlist where a number of hits of the time (usually American MOR stuff like Chicago, Huey Lewis And The News, Stevie Nicks, The Jets, etc.) would be played quite regularly under the title 'No Limits Powerplays' (it used to feature a road traffic sign with a flash of lightning going through it?).

If anyone can remember any songs that featured in the series it'd be great! For starters I have the likes of:

John Farnham - Pressure On
Huey Lewis And The News - Hip To Be Square
Mike And The Mechanics - All I Need Is A Miracle
Talking Heads - Road To Nowhere
Stevie Nicks - If Anyone Falls
Heart - Alone
The Jets - Crush On You
Jermaine Stewart - We Don't Have To (Take Our Clothes Off)
Peter Cetera - Glory Of Love

oh and Spagna's Call Me! :p

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Options
    SpruceSpruce Posts: 1,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black-Wonderful Life.

Great song and got the album. On their tours around the Country they came to my local town (Mildenhall).
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spruce wrote: »
    Black-Wonderful Life.

Great song and got the album. On their tours around the Country they came to my local town (Mildenhall).

Thanks very much, another one added (and yes, a great song that used to be played on No Limits a lot). I think I remember your show - didn't they go to the airforce base?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4444 wrote: »
    Thanks very much, another one added (and yes, a great song that used to be played on No Limits a lot). I think I remember your show - didn't they go to the airforce base?

You are correct.:) Doesn't it take you back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember hearing Imagination by Belouis Some played first on No Limits. I loved that song at the time. If I remember correctly, they played it a few times.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not too sure about this one, but what about Satellite by The Hooters?
  • Options
    player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may be wrong but I seem to recall Linda Ronstadt & James Ingram was one....or that may have been its US sibling - Entertainment USA . I enjoyed No Limits so will watch this thread with interest to see what other powerplays are recalled.

But, erm..it was a Jonathan King show ?

Plus , the original female presenter in series 1 was Lisa Maxwell, - now in the Bill - before Jenny Powell replaced her from series 2 on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    player1 wrote: »
    IBut, erm..it was a Jonathan King show ?
    Yes, both No Limits and Entertainment USA were.
    Plus , the original female presenter in series 1 was Lisa Maxwell, - now in the Bill - before Jenny Powell replaced her from series 2 on.
    As I recall, the original idea was to use new untried male/female presenters for each series. But Jenny Powell and Tony Baker were such naturals on the second series (and a hit with the viewers) that they were made full-time presenters
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I'm not too sure about this one, but what about Satellite by The Hooters?

Yes, I remember Satellite too!! Another great No Limits song! And a couple more I can remember - Come As You Are by Peter Wolf and Sex As A Weapon by Pat Benatar!

The good thing about No Limits is that they used a lot of music that was already starting to break into the charts in America but had maybe not yet been released (or even heard) in Britain. The success rate was a bit more hit than miss but they did also feature a few acts hotly tipped for success but that in the end never really got anywhere here.

And on the subject of taking us all back... yes, and Tony Baker's mullet still gives me nightmares! :D (Didn't he become a postman when No Limits! finished? (And I've just remembered the exclamation mark!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man Size Love by Klymaxx. Listening to it at this moment. :o:D
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
    Forum Member
    The next time I fall - Amy Grant & Peter Cetera
    The Final Contdown - Europe

I should be able to remember more ......
  • Options
    TarotTarot Posts: 11,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember Valerie by Steve Winwood being on the show
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember a song entitled Dream Weaver ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Cars - You Might Think
  • Options
    cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4444 wrote: »
    Yes, I remember Satellite too!! Another great No Limits song! And a couple more I can remember - Come As You Are by Peter Wolf and Sex As A Weapon by Pat Benatar!

The good thing about No Limits is that they used a lot of music that was already starting to break into the charts in America but had maybe not yet been released (or even heard) in Britain. The success rate was a bit more hit than miss but they did also feature a few acts hotly tipped for success but that in the end never really got anywhere here.

And on the subject of taking us all back... yes, and Tony Baker's mullet still gives me nightmares! :D (Didn't he become a postman when No Limits! finished? (And I've just remembered the exclamation mark!)

I didnt realise he was now a postman...used to watch the show...wasn't Jonthan King on it doing a presenting bit...I think he was also the producer...might be wrong but I recall he had something to do with the show..and picking the presenters?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    telboy17 wrote: »
    The Cars - You Might Think

Listened to the "Heartbeat City" album during 84. Had it on tape in the car when the future wife and me went on Hols.:)
  • Options
    werdna67werdna67 Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Can't remember if these were No Limits or Entertainment USA - Out Of Touch - Hall & Oates, Don't Come Around Here No More - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, I Can't Wait - Stevie Nicks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cazzz wrote: »
    I didnt realise he was now a postman...used to watch the show...wasn't Jonthan King on it doing a presenting bit...I think he was also the producer...might be wrong but I recall he had something to do with the show..and picking the presenters?
    Yes, it was actually JK's idea as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still on the trail, how many remember the superlative Everybody Have Fun Tonight by Wang Chung!
  • Options
    afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,162
    Forum Member
    Maria Vidal - Body Rock

...was one :)
  • Options
    lucky74lucky74 Posts: 4,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Hysteria by Def Leppard was one too.
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember them playing Georgia Satellites - Battleship Chains once, but my biggest memory of the show is when they played Michael Sembello's Maniac. I remember it because the video that Jenny and Tony did for it involved them pretending to be in a b&w silent movie running around the London Docklands! Didn't they also play Scarlet Fantastic - No Memory a few times as well?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Already mentioned:
    Statellite by The Hooters

but also Mary's Prayer by Danny Wilson
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Girlfriend in a coma - The Smiths .

Oh no wait, ol' paedo features and co. didn't like that one . :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I can't remember if this was a powerplay, but "(You're not the rule) You're the Exception" by Helen Watson from her Blue Slipper album was played quite a bit. I also loved Satellite by the Hooters, and learned that Heart, whom I had first encountered in 1976, were still in business as there was not much of their music played on this side of the pond.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    ooooooooooh I remember Andy Taylor (of Duran duran) and his song 'dont let me die young' - I nearly had a sean connery as he was my most beloved of the band:D- was a great list of songs that everyone remembers though- the cars- you might think...must go find it on youtube:)