Options

Glee (US Pace) (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    huggzy wrote: »
    I don't mean to be "that" person but can the negativity just end please...Glee isn't over yet and we've still got the season 3 finale to go! The last thing most people want or need to is have some negative opinion about Glee shoved in their face.

I know that sounds totally stupid but I don't want the only place I can go to talk about the show I love to be a place where people insult it and point out things like "I haven't watched an episode since season 1!" as if that is some badge of honour...

I agree. Plus while Glee makes Fox money, and it does, then they will continue to commission it. The fact they commissioned Series Four even with lower audience figures is enough for me to be happy about its future for the next 12 months.
    So where can people like me, who used to love the show, go for a good old moan about how Glee has gone downhill:p

There's a whole thread on the Glee Forum about where did Glee go wrong, I'm sure you'd find a home there :)

I have no problem with people expressing disappointment in the show but I think writing it off is somewhat premature.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    I agree. Plus while Glee makes Fox money, and it does, then they will continue to commission it. The fact they commissioned Series Four even with lower audience figures is enough for me to be happy about its future for the next 12 months.

There's a whole thread on the Glee Forum about where did Glee go wrong, I'm sure you'd find a home there :)
    I have no problem with people expressing disappointment in the show but I think writing it off is somewhat premature.

I meant on Digital Spy. I'm not going off to join a whole new forum:D

I have no problem what so ever with appreciation threads and would never go onto one and be negative, but this is a general thread isn't it? If it is purely appreciation might be an idea to get the title changed to reflect that then us negative nelly's can start our own 'Glee is sometimes good, but sometimes a bit pants' type thread:)
  • Options
    MrEdgarFinchleyMrEdgarFinchley Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it is purely appreciation might be an idea to get the title changed to reflect that then us negative nelly's can start our own 'Glee is sometimes good, but sometimes a bit pants' type thread:)

I'm in (and I'm sure Ms Santana Lopez would be along from time to time, just to say "Wanky"):cool:.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Never mind people expressing disappointment, I think you DO have a problem with anyone saying ANYTHING less than positive about Glee. Quite honestly in some of your posts you come over like it is your job to always defend the show no matter what has been said.

I can't believe you actually suggested that if someone wanted to have a moan about the show they should do it on another forum!

As someone has said, this is not an appreciation thread and as no one here is remotely coming close with their comments to breaking the T&Cs of DS, perhaps you need to appreciate someone else's point of view is still valid whether you agree with it or not.

I don't consider myself a negative nelly, but I am entitled to my opinion and to discuss it on here.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never mind people expressing disappointment, I think you DO have a problem with anyone saying ANYTHING less than positive about Glee. Quite honestly in some of your posts you come over like it is your job to always defend the show no matter what has been said.

I can't believe you actually suggested that if someone wanted to have a moan about the show they should do it on another forum!

As someone has said, this is not an appreciation thread and as no one here is remotely coming close with their comments to breaking the T&Cs of DS, perhaps you need to appreciate someone else's point of view is still valid whether you agree with it or not.

I don't consider myself a negative nelly, but I am entitled to my opinion and to discuss it on here.

Yep, I'm pretty positive about the show, I actually think the third season has been good, but at times around here it seems you can't make any comments against it.

(Still think the Whitney episode was poor and misjudged).
  • Options
    Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any Glee fan, at any stage, whether you liked it then hated it, surely could not fail to be won over by that marvellous penultimate episode. It was everything Glee should be.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr.Lavigne wrote: »
    Any Glee fan, at any stage, whether you liked it then hated it, surely could not fail to be won over by that marvellous penultimate episode. It was everything Glee should be.

Yep. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr.Lavigne wrote: »

I fast forwarded through the teacher of the year stuff:o And most of the songs.

I found the episode predictably and overly sentimental. I thought Paradise by the Dash Board Light was a very peculiar choice of song for a High School show choir and certainly for Finn and Rachael to sing considering the content. I love Meatloaf and that is a particular favourite of mine and I really didn't like the way they performed it. Likewise Its All coming back to me now - I adore that song. Love both the Meatloaf and the Dion versions. Rachaels version suffered in comparison.

BUT that is just my taste. I am actually glad when people get enjoyment out of something and certainly would never begrudge you your enjoyment of it:)

And I loved Unique & VA:D
  • Options
    dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dunno if this has been asked or cleared to others. Im just kinda poping into this thread. But can anyone please tell me who is actually graduating, and who is not. I know the few obvious ones, but some others, I just have no clue at all!!!
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the point that I've often made, is people like Glee for different things, I've always liked the satire, the funny lines energy in performances. I'm not that bothered about the couples, over-sentimentality, issues of the week, or the music, bizarrely enough. I think that's why you get so much differing opinions. ("this was the worst episode ever", "this was the best").

For different people "what is glee" is different things. I like Brittany, Santana and Sue, and now Sugar best, because those are the people that deliver on what I most like. I really enjoyed Rachel's dads too.

So the Last two episodes weren't my fave, I do have to say. Though I did enjoy them as a long-time fan of the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I meant on Digital Spy. I'm not going off to join a whole new forum:D

I have no problem what so ever with appreciation threads and would never go onto one and be negative, but this is a general thread isn't it? If it is purely appreciation might be an idea to get the title changed to reflect that then us negative nelly's can start our own 'Glee is sometimes good, but sometimes a bit pants' type thread:)

:) I believe Huggzy was a little upset at the wholesale writing off of Glee rather than any negative comments in particular.

No I don't and I have been critical of the show on this forum so you can't have looked too closely. I have, however, disagreed with your comments on a couple of occasions so perhaps you're feeling specifically picked on.

And the use of a smiley at the end of my comment about the Glee Forum should have been enough of a clue that it wasn't to be taken seriously.
    I dunno if this has been asked or cleared to others. Im just kinda poping into this thread. But can anyone please tell me who is actually graduating, and who is not. I know the few obvious ones, but some others, I just have no clue at all!!!

At the moment the seniors are Finn, Rachel, Mike, Puck, Mercedes, Kurt, Quinn, Santana and Brittney. As to who graduates, that's still open for speculation as nothing has been confirmed yet.
  • Options
    EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    I found the episode predictably and overly sentimental. I thought Paradise by the Dash Board Light was a very peculiar choice of song for a High School show choir and certainly for Finn and Rachael to sing considering the content. ...And I loved Unique & VA:D
    It was the aerial splits that won me over to Unique's brilliance ... or maybe it just helped her reach those top notes :eek:.

I'm not a fan of power ballads or Meatloaf (ever since Alas Smith & Jones did their Maltloaf version) ... and especially since I've learned that "Its all coming back" takes its inspiration from the bit in Wuthering Heights where Heathcliff digs up Cathy's body after 20 years - and Dashboard is a song of disillusion .... stlll, rumour has it (now there's a show choir song!) that they're perfoming Glory Days in the graduation ep - another downer.

I always thought Finns epically bad version of REM's Losing my Religion, after he stopped believin in a grilled cheese sandwich, was the most spectacularly ludicrous song choice ever, but these recent ones are running him pretty close. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was the aerial splits that won me over to Unique's brilliance ... or maybe it just helped her reach those top notes :eek:.

I'm not a fan of power ballads or Meatloaf (ever since Alas Smith & Jones did their Maltloaf version) ... and especially since I've learned that "Its all coming back" takes its inspiration from the bit in Wuthering Heights where Heathcliff digs up Cathy's body after 20 years - and Dashboard is a song of disillusion .... stlll, rumour has it (now there's a show choir song!) that they're perfoming Glory Days in the graduation ep - another downer.

I always thought Finns epically bad version of REM's Losing my Religion, after he stopped believin in a grilled cheese sandwich, was the most spectacularly ludicrous song choice ever, but these recent ones are running him pretty close. :D

Unique brought a freshness & joy that's been a bit lacking of late.She didn't just sing the songs, she performed them and did both brilliantly:)

I had forgotten Losing my Religion and 'Maltloaf'. Thanks for the reminders - I'll need extra brain bleach!! (though Smith and Jones was funny:D)

Didn't know that about All Coming back to me now. I knew there was some 'discusssion' about who was supposed to sing it - Steinman originally didn't want Meat to sing it because its a girls song or something. I do love that some though.

But Paradise - the song of a disolusioned couple who married young for the wrong reasons. There are subtler ways for Mr Shu to tell Finn and Rachel not to get married:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that they're perfoming Glory Days in the graduation ep - another downer

I think it's going to depend on the context of how they use Glory Days as to whether it comes across as deeply ironic or they're simply using it cos it sounds good, if you see what I mean?
    Didn't know that about All Coming back to me now. I knew there was some 'discusssion' about who was supposed to sing it - Steinman originally didn't want Meat to sing it because its a girls song or something. I do love that some though.

Steinman actually went to court to stop Meatloaf recording IACBTMK at the time he wrote it but they eventually sorted it out and he ended up recording it on Bat out of Hell III. I believe Meatloaf originally wanted it on Bat out of Hell II and settled for I'll Do Anything for Love, (But I won't Do That) instead as Steinman said he'd written It's All Coming Back as a woman's song.

He talked about his inspiration in an interview with the Sunday Times:
    "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" is my attempt to write the most passionate, romantic song I could ever write. I was writing it while under the influence of Wuthering Heights, which is one of my favorite books.

This song is an erotic motorcycle. It's like Heathcliffe digging up Kathy's corpse and dancing with it in the cold moonlight. You can't get more extreme, operatic or passionate than that.

I was trying to write a song about dead things coming to life. I was trying to write a song about being enslaved and obsessed by love, not just enchanted and happy with it. It was about the dark side of love and about the extraordinary ability to be resurrected by it once dead.

It's about obsession, and that can be scary because you're not in control and you don't know where it's going to stop. It says that, at any point in somebody's life, when they loved somebody strongly enough and that person returns, a certain touch, a certain physical gesture can turn them from being defiant and disgusted with this person to being subservient again. And it's not just a pleasurable feeling that comes back, it's the complete terror and loss of control that comes back. And I think that's ultimately a great weapon.
  • Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    I thought the last episode was really good. There were some bits I really could have done without, for example I don't like 'Unique' and there was too much of him/her. Also it was a tad too OTT with the sentiment of Mr Shu winning teacher of the year.

I have to say as well, i've found every performance by the 'troubletones' comparitively very weak to solos and new directions stuff. Which surprises me because two of my favourite voices are in there - Mercedes and Santana.

The episode really highlighted to me what a loss Rachel will be to the New directions and indeed what a loss Lea Michele would be to Glee. Her voice sounded stronger than ever, she was incredible in both her solo and the duet with Finn.

I think the 'Paradise' performance was one of the most enjoyable group performances they have ever done, I really enjoyed it and it was lovely to see Finn on the lead vocals again after so much Blaine all season, it was nice for the last time to go back to how it was in the beginning. Plus his dancing has improved.

Its taken me along time to care about 'Finchel' but I realised in this episode as well how much I do like them as a couple and they actually have great chemistry. I know they're still going to be in it next season but I can't help but feel that their leaving New Directions will leave a gapping hole. :(

Aside from Blaine all of the strongest voices are leaving this year so I do wonder how New Directions will deliver next season. I hope they make more use of Artie's voice and I know Tina is supposed to be the new female lead, and while she has a lovely voice, its not on par with Rachel's or Mercedes at all.

One last thing, it was really quite touching to see Jesse talking Rachel up to Whoopi Goldberg's character (no idea what her name was, I can't see beyond the fact it was Whoopi Goldberg :o) Also his face when he was watching her sing was sort of heartbreaking, i'm not sure what it was he was feeling...maybe unrequited love? I really don't know but I found it sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One last thing, it was really quite touching to see Jesse talking Rachel up to Whoopi Goldberg's character (no idea what her name was, I can't see beyond the fact it was Whoopi Goldberg :o) Also his face when he was watching her sing was sort of heartbreaking, i'm not sure what it was he was feeling...maybe unrequited love? I really don't know but I found it sad.

I think that is what it is yes, I've always felt Jessie actually fell for Rachel during his whole "pretend to get to know her for Shelby" story arc.
  • Options
    dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funally actually catched up with the Nationals episode. It was pretty brilliant. Best part for me though, was definatly the Lindsey Lohan and Perez Hilton judging part. Was laughing the whole time. Was hilare!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's going to depend on the context of how they use Glory Days as to whether it comes across as deeply ironic or they're simply using it cos it sounds good, if you see what I mean?

Steinman actually went to court to stop Meatloaf recording IACBTMK at the time he wrote it but they eventually sorted it out and he ended up recording it on Bat out of Hell III. I believe Meatloaf originally wanted it on Bat out of Hell II and settled for I'll Do Anything for Love, (But I won't Do That) instead as Steinman said he'd written It's All Coming Back as a woman's song.

He talked about his inspiration in an interview with the Sunday Times:

Thanks for that:)

I don't really tend to look at the background to songs and all this happened a fair few years ago so I kind of missed out on the full story. Just knew there had been (another!!) spat between Meatloaf and Steinman:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funally actually catched up with the Nationals episode. It was pretty brilliant. Best part for me though, was definatly the Lindsey Lohan and Perez Hilton judging part. Was laughing the whole time. Was hilare!!!

I liked Lindsey but cannot stand the existence of Perez.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just knew there had been (another!!) spat between Meatloaf and Steinman:D

Aye, they're like a married couple and the songs are their dogs or cats or something who they're trying to keep hold of when they split up :)
    Ninostar wrote: »
    I liked Lindsey but cannot stand the existence of Perez.

I'm with you, I think he's loathsome.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    E4 was only available to people who could access a digital channel. It was not available via a normal TV aerial. When I mention subscription I am talking about Sky and/or a satellite service.
    And the fact Glee was popular with stuff on the radio doesn't mean the viewing figures were huge. I believe the viewing figures for S1 on E4 were somewhere around an average of 1 million viewers, that's not massive.

In fact the debut episode figures were - Glee made its UK premiere to 278k (1.3%) for E4, with a further 100k (0.6%) on timeshift. Source.
    Hardly massive or mainstream.

And yes, you're right it's Sky One not Sky Atlantic, my mistake, it's still a subscription only service therefore not available to mainstream viewers in the UK, neither was E4, the both require either a satellite dish or a Freeview box and the digital service was not available throughout the UK until the end of 2011.
    So my comment is entirely accurate - Glee was not available to mainstream TV viewers at any time in the UK and it has never had massive viewing figures.

No, you are wrong. You could get E4 on free view, which is neither subscription not satellite and is through a normal TV aerial. You only needed a set top box or a dtv. And majority of people had that when Glee was launched. I never mentioned viewing figures, but it was mainstream in the way that everyone had heard of it.

But I think you need to learn what subscription means. Freeview does not have a subscription. And E4 has always been available on subscription free platforms.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, you are wrong. You could get E4 on free view, which is neither subscription not satellite and is through a normal TV aerial. You only needed a set top box or a dtv. And majority of people had that when Glee was launched. I never mentioned viewing figures, but it was mainstream in the way that everyone had heard of it.

But I think you need to learn what subscription means. Freeview does not have a subscription. And E4 has always been available on subscription free platforms.

Exactly the point. So Glee was not available to mainstream viewers via their TV aerial. It required additional equipment until the digital switch over last year, which was precisely what I said.

And you're wrong regarding E4 being available to a majority via Freeview.

Here in my particular bit of the UK it was impossible to get Freeview, only Freesat was available as the local aerial had no digital signals free until the switch over took place in September last year. Even now we still don't have access to every digital channel available because ours is only a booster aerial and not a transmitter. To get the full range of digital channels available requires a satellite service, either Freesat, Sky or similar and that requires an additional purchase outside of having a TV licence and an aerial on the roof.

I am quite aware of E4 being available via Freeview. However, that could not be obtained simply by switching on your TV and tuning in to it. You had to have either a satellite or a box capable of receiving a digital signal, which is what I said.

However, as you seem to have a completely different idea of what being mainstream means, there's no point in continuing this conversation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "For what it's worth, it was worth all the while..." :l

Sigh, countdown has well and truly started...3 days left now...

Rumour has it that
    "Good Riddance" won't actually be appearing in the episode which is probably for the best...the story of it being a "torch passing song" was kind of weak and the performance failed to live up to its potential but I'll admit the Glee version has grown on me (some would probably disagree but its entirely saved by the fact that Blaine has a lot of lines/lines with Finn (if it had been a solo Finn performance I might have been a little more upset))
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm with you, I think he's loathsome.
    The cheek of getting him on the show, when he posts so much crap about the cast!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ninostar wrote: »
    The cheek of getting him on the show, when he posts so much crap about the cast!

I suspect that's why they got him invited, kind of a premptive strike to shut him up. He really is a tool though, or rather, the persona he presents publicly is a tool, he might be utterly different in his private life!
This discussion has been closed.