Not indicating.
    Tailgating.
    Mobile phone abuse.

Just stop it!
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inappropriate speed.

I got stuck behind a car today on some fairly decent b roads with 60 mph limits. I didn't expect the chap in front of me to hit the speed limit, but he rarely got above 30 mph, and frequently drove at just 20-25 mph as, despite his already slow progress, he braked every time there was a slight bend in the road or whenever a car approached on the other side of the road. If you're afraid to drive faster than 30 mph you shouldn't have a licence.

That said, I also detest drivers who speed around, especially in built up areas, as if they're taking part in the Monaco Grand Pri.
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tailgating.
    Driving whilst using a mobile phone.
    Parking in disabled / parent and child spaces when they aren't supposed to.

The last point in an inconvenience, but since becoming a mum myself I've noticed that about 80% of cars in parent and child spaces are occupied by cars which have no child seat in them, and are usually driven by single male drivers. Have they tried unloading a car seat or pram from a normal parking space?! Selfish tossers.

The first two drive me mad. I couldn't give a damn if they crashed and killed themselves whilst texting... but the trouble is that when driving you are responsible for a lump of metal weighing several tons, and that lump of metal could easily kill me or my daughter.

But my biggest annoyance is those arrogant w*ankers who crash into you... and then drive off or try to blame you for the crash. One woman drove into the side of my car and dented it, then fled the scene before I could get her full number plate. Another time someone drove into me at a roundabout and then said I was in the wrong lane. I got a payout, but it took over a year and I spent hours writing reports to correct their bulls*t version of events.

The penalty for dangerous driving is not nearly severe enough. You can kill someone and get a suspended sentence.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    When a car in front pulls up behind a parked car when I am behind the car that pulls up...now, are you going to park or are you waiting to pass the parked car??..in my day when learning whenever you make a manoeuvre indicators are used...mirror, signal ,manoeuvre
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parking on 90 degree angle bends in the road.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    You've got to be joking!!!!!!:o
    In my city and other towns and citys it's illegal....there used to be time limits in my city but that was back in the 70's...it's 24 hrs now

That's not something I'd joke about, I refer you to posts #81 and #84.
    I live in London, where there are certainly some 24 hour bus lanes, and quite a few of them are ridiculous really, 07.00 - 19.00 would be more than adequate for traffic flows.
    At 02.00, what difference would it make to drive in the left lane, when the roads are virtually empty?
    Mostly though, bus lanes are posted as active during a.m. and p.m. rush hour times, outside of that they are free for anyone's use.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    Something that has happened to me a few times recently has been people indicating far to early for the exit/stop they intend to make. Many of the roads near my house are very close together, and it's driving me insane how many people are indicating for the second junction before they've even reached the first.

There's a junction near where I live that's particularly bad for that. A cottage with a road immediately either side of it & a road that passes in front of it. There have been several occasions when I've been waiting to turn right onto the road in front of the cottage & a vehicle approaching from the right indicates, as if it's going to turn left into the road I'm on, only for it to sail past & turn into the road immediately on the other side of the cottage.

Now I always wait until any vehicle has started the turning manoevre before pulling out, even if it does annoy anyone behind me. I've had too many near misses at that junction.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I just wanted to see if mine matches anyone else, and to find out what everyone else hates on the road.

For me it's drivers coming right up behind me in their car to force me to move to the left hand lane, when they can clearly see I'm overtaking another car. And I always find the absolute idiots are in VW Passat's or Vauxhall Insignias...sometimes an Audi too.

No offence to anyone that drives those, I'm sure you're not as bad as the ones I encounter :D

The fact that they are there is the most annoying thing. Quality of life would be a lot better in many places, if (most) cars weren't there in the first place.

In the UK, cars a like a plague of locusts in many areas, they are everywhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Tailgating me when I'm a learner driver
    Also people acting like driving an automatic is a cardinal sin.
  • JessTheCatJessTheCat Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of the above..plus my pet hate - drivers who overtake you then pull into the safety gap between you and the car in front and instantly slam on their brakes because they've just realised that they're going faster than they thought. I really hate that.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JessTheCat wrote: »
    All of the above..plus my pet hate - drivers who overtake you then pull into the safety gap between you and the car in front and instantly slam on their brakes because they've just realised that they're going faster than they thought. I really hate that.
    Depending on the speed and conditions that can be classed as careless or dangerous driving.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    Depending on the speed and conditions that can be classed as careless or dangerous driving.

I admit that when I first bought a faster car some years ago, it used its power to pass a couple of cars at the start of the dual carrige way doing around 40 (there's no special restricted limit), then I saw that I was catching a people carrier which was on the inside line, so I just kept going to pass that as well....I then looked down at the dial expecting it to say about 70 but was quite shocked to discover the needle was passing 90 and still going up. I promply moved over and started slowing down. I had no idea I had been going that quickly, needless to say I was always a bit more cautious of the speed after that. Thing is, if you have the power, it's very easy to just fall in the trap of overtaking everyone, but u have to realise they are prolly doing close or on the speed limit.

This car I have now and the prev one both have Eco crippled engines due to cost of motoring, so no chance of it happening these days.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    Thing is, if you have the power, it's very easy to just fall in the trap of overtaking everyone, but u have to realise they are prolly doing close or on the speed limit.

Not necessarily.

I travel by bus a lot to football matches and despite the buses having 62mph speed-limiters fitted, they still easily overtake many cars on dual carriageways and motorways. They must only be doing about 55mph tops which is bizarre.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    People who don't say thank you when I've let them out or waited for them to go past on a country lane - the worst of which being when I've had to reverse to the nearest 'passing point' and they don't even give me so much as a glance. Rude bastards. :mad:
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    indie.star wrote: »
    People who don't say thank you when I've let them out or waited for them to go past on a country lane - the worst of which being when I've had to reverse to the nearest 'passing point' and they don't even give me so much as a glance. Rude bastards. :mad:

or at night will thank you by blinding you with their main beam flasher instead of a quick on/off flick of their normal light switch or some other action that doesnt involve blinding the oncoming driver.
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Tailgating me when I'm a learner driver
    Also people acting like driving an automatic is a cardinal sin.

...completely agree..,,,.gearstick’s and clutches should be consigned to history...they are positively medieval ! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    bri160356 wrote: »
    ...completely agree..,,,.gearstick’s and clutches should be consigned to history...they are positively medieval ! :)

I told my friends I. Was taking automatic lessons and you'd think I said I was taking unicycle lessons. When really I just have poor hand eye coordination.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

After years of driving manuals, I purchased my first automatic back in 2012 & I have to say, I will never intentionally buy a manual car ever again.

Automatics are just fantastic & even better, when you have a flappy paddle & semi-automatic option like mine does.

Automatics are so much less stressful to drive, especially in this era of constant stop/start traffic.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Now I always wait until any vehicle has started the turning manoevre before pulling out.

Which is one of the first things they tell you on an Advanced Drivers course. Never assume anything about the intentions of the other drivers, always wait and see what they actually do before you get involved.
  • Ian_FerrierIan_Ferrier Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I had someone tailing me on the dual carriageway, I was in right hand lane approaching a roundabout.

I remembered a hint my father gave me to turn on rear fog lights.

The guy slammed on brakes and ended up mounting central reservation :).
  • MichPlatMichPlat Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep their headlights raised to the highest level - blinding everyone.

Yes that's so true .
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're preaching to the choir with that, but I guess if the die-hard petrol heads think that clutches and gear shifts are sacrosanct, then let them get on with it.
    To me it's tantamount to saying, washing machines, tumble dryers?, what's wrong with a scrubbing board, mangle, and a clothes line in the back yard?
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're preaching to the choir with that, but I guess if the die-hard petrol heads think that clutches and gear shifts are sacrosanct, then let them get on with it.
    To me it's tantamount to saying, washing machines, tumble dryers?, what's wrong with a scrubbing board, mangle, and a clothes line in the back yard?

Each to their own. Some just see automatics as a bit pipe and slippers, a car to have when the grave is nearer than the cradle.

Bit like cabriolets are only driven by 50+ year old men and women. Look cool they most definitely do not, but they seem inordinately smug.
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not indicating at roundabouts. It drives me mad.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Bit like cabriolets are only driven by 50+ year old men and women. Look cool they most definitely do not, but they seem inordinately smug.

That's probably because it's lovely to drive with the roof down on a sunny day and, frankly, looking cool is 2nd only to not giving a f**k what other people think on my list of things that I don't give a toss about.