Why not tow the Mediterranean migrants back to Africa?

Comments

• jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    You sound very bitter and asylum seekers are always an easy target to scapegoat.
    Perhaps spend some of your energy challenging the DWPif you think their decisions are wrong about your benefits. Contact the CAB you'll be much happier than attacking people who have nothing and are drowning in an attempt to get away from a life that you or I would also run from.

Indeed. I helped to transcribe oral histories from a group of asylum seekers... all from war zones in Africa. I cannot begin to describe what I heard on those tapes and nothing will ever make me begrudge people like that a safe place away from the horrors they experienced. I met many of them and they were all, without exception, beyond grateful to the UK for helping them, even though their accommodation was poor and they had so little money.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sad irony about the Libyan tragedy is that the UK and France both enabled ISIS and their rebels to overthrow the Libyan government which has lead to the situation we see today. Libya was one of the most stable countries in Africa before this now it is a stronghold for the extremists that the UK has helped into power
    The same with Syria

The serious Northern African ISIS threat extends further than Libya.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/here-is-isiss-reach-into-north-africa-2015-2
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Get over yourself.

Immigrants did not force you to have unprotected sex. You elected to terminate the pregnancy.

Harsh but true.

I think people like Jenny should definitely vote UKIP and then once a UKIP government kicks people like her to the gutter, she might find it within herself to develop some compassion for others.
  • My usernamesMy usernames Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the level of ignorance, inhumanity and hostility in some of these posts is shocking, people seem to deliberately want to leave people to die at the hands of mass murderers and religious. Zealots because they think that they will be getting a better life than they think they deserve.
    I'm shocked that people are so callous and hostile to those more unfortunate than them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Harsh but true.

I think people like Jenny should definitely vote UKIP and then once a UKIP government kicks people like her to the gutter, she might find it within herself to develop some compassion for others.

They will definitely cut the benefits that she is so angry that she doesn't qualify for, but they have promised to cut the tampon tax so that if she can avoid getting pregnant again her sanitary protection should be cheaper. Sorry if this sounds cruel.

Ukip have no time for anyone like myself who are too ill to work, even though I have worked full time for the past 30 yrs until I had to stop due to ill health.
    I suppose that they will kick anyone who isn't' productive' to the kerb , into camps where we can be disposed of, out of sight out of mind, as long as we aren't a burden to" hard working tax payers" even the professional ones who used to be the asylum seekers Jenny wants to ignore in the sea.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They will definitely cut the benefits that she is so angry that she doesn't qualify for, but they have promised to cut the tampon tax so that if she can avoid getting pregnant again her sanitary protection should be cheaper. Sorry if this sounds cruel.

Ukip have no time for anyone like myself who are too ill to work, even though I have worked full time for the past 30 yrs until I had to stop due to ill health.
    I suppose that they will kick anyone who isn't' productive' to the kerb , into camps where we can be disposed of, out of sight out of mind, as long as we aren't a burden to" hard working tax payers" even the professional ones who used to be the asylum seekers Jenny wants to ignore in the sea.

Yep, UKIP have definitely played a very clever game in that they have helped people believe in the big bogie man (immigrant) and how they are to blame for all of Jenny's problems. Trouble is, UKIP, as you say, have no time for people who need state intervention, they dont believe in a state themselves and so all the usual down at heel, poor indigenous people will get a nasty shock if UKIP ever form a government.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the level of ignorance, inhumanity and hostility in some of these posts is shocking, people seem to deliberately want to leave people to die at the hands of mass murderers and religious. Zealots because they think that they will be getting a better life than they think they deserve.
    I'm shocked that people are so callous and hostile to those more unfortunate than them.

I wonder how much horror they express at the ongoing ISIS beheadings of men, women , children and babies, the raping, without any access to abortion or anything else, the slavery, the on-going torture. People including children buried alive being mutilated and even cut in half. Driven out and away from of everything they know and have literally nothing and are in constant fear of their lives. The list of barbarism is endless. Millions of them. Yet anyone fleeing genocidal brutal regimes of this or any kind kind are seen as worthless scum. It makes me sick!
  • too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Having just watched tonight's news and seen the harrowing pictures of children being rescued from the sea, I cannot understand how any human being with a shred of compassion could be without sympathy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    The serious Northern African ISIS threat extends further than Libya.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/here-is-isiss-reach-into-north-africa-2015-2

Thanks I read about this today in another publication but was trying to get the image out of my mind. There is a long history of this type of thing happening. Now we have access to the Internet we have no excuse for ignoring it., because the murdering scum are so proud of it they plaster it all over the web.
    I would really like the international community to get off its butt and deal with ISIS etc
    Perhaps because I am was raised as a Christian I feel very angry about this and I hate the way it is encouraging me to feel about Islam. Thanks to my good muslim friends I have a little insight into the historical context to this issue and I am not a ranting bigot.
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »

Sure - i ve seen that site too

I mean illegally to the UK

As i said France has a no nonsense approach which discerning asylum seekers/international job seekers may not find to be suitable for their perceived new lifestyle requirements .Presumably only mainly Francophile West African nationals would want to hang around there permanently - eg from Mali ,Chad ,Niger etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember learning about the persecution of minorities in Germany before WW2 and how the rest of the world claimed ignorance afterwards, we have no excuse this time around. What we see in the seas around Greece and Italy today has been bubbling under the headlines for years and we did nothing to stop it,this is the outcome our inaction and short sightedness has lead to.
    I really wish that I as an individual could do something practical to help, because I don't trust the government to do anything useful or moral anytime soon. Meanwhile
    ISIS are marching across Africa and infiltrating Europe.
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember learning about the persecution of minorities in Germany before WW2 and how the rest of the world claimed ignorance afterwards, we have no excuse this time around. What we see in the seas around Greece and Italy today has been bubbling under the headlines for years and we did nothing to stop it,this is the outcome our inaction and short sightedness has lead to.
    I really wish that I as an individual could do something practical to help, because I don't trust the government to do anything useful or moral anytime soon. Meanwhile
    ISIS are marching across Africa and infiltrating Europe

Infiltrated already via in situ muslim immigrants and the internet .,,surely
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member

Rubbish. I have done work with a refugee and asylum charity and they have to live in appalling accommodation. The men mostly have to live in hostels with dormitory style sleeping arrangements.

Is it? I quoted from https://www.gov.uk/asylum-support/what-youll-get
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not Britain fault if Kenya is decades behind in education. At one point in time this country was much the same but we evolved and made advances.

As the old saying goes - Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man fish and feed him for the rest of his life".

Do you really not know how Africa got left behind whilst Europe flourished?
    Hint: 1492, Portuguese 'explorers' and Arab traders using boats to explore the other side of the world... Etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »

Rubbish. I have done work with a refugee and asylum charity and they have to live in appalling accommodation. The men mostly have to live in hostels with dormitory style sleeping arrangements.

Your link confirms what I said. They have no choice in where they live and their accommodation may be in a hostel - which it is for most asylum seekers / refugees in the area that I live.

What's your point??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @jediknight
    The forced removal of up to 25 million people made Africa's population stagnate or even decline during the slave trade, historians believe.
    ADD TO THIS DECADES OF POLITICAL CORRUPTION AND RESULTING DESTABILISATION AND CIVIL WARS.( The whole continent is crippled by under development. And it is being exploited again by Islamic extremists this time, it's population is still being persecuted often by their own leaders who are indifferent to their suffering whilst colluding with the extremists and pocketing millions in aid money meant for the people.)

Some have argued that some African kingdoms were more socially and economically advanced than many European countries before 1500.

In the 14th century, the West African empire of Mali was larger than Western Europe, and reputed to be one of the richest and most powerful states in the world.

Historians continue to debate how and why African kingdoms and traders became so actively involved the slave trade.

Some suggest that the demand for free labour from Europe and the lack of a wider concept of African "identity" at the time allowed slavery to flourish.

Who profited from slavery?

Merchants in Britain, America, Europe and Africa became very rich from the slave trade.

The trade also created, sustained and relied on a large support network of shipping services, ports, and finance and insurance companies, employing thousands of people.

New industries were created processing the raw materials harvested or extracted by slaves in the Americas. Plantation owners profited from the free labour provided by slaves.

The slave trade contributed significantly to the commercial and industrial revolutions of the 18th and 19th Centuries. Cities such as Liverpool and Amsterdam grew wealthy as a result of the trade in humans.

Source: BBC news website. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6445941.stm
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well said, Wonkey

You're ill-informed and inaccurate. Find some real facts..

Better to choke on some red wine and have some human compassion that choke on self pity and bitterness.

Yes, they do. I have worked with people who arrived in this country with nothing (from Uganda) other than the clothes that they stood up in - and they pay more tax than you could imagine. Difference is that despite all the sh*t that life has thrown at them they still make an effort whereas.....

What a ridiculous rant.... from a small minded person

Get over yourself.

Immigrants did not force you to have unprotected sex. You elected to terminate the pregnancy.

A new low evenue for Ds. An abortion being blamed on immigration. 😠
    Forum Member

Your link confirms what I said. They have no choice in where they live and their accommodation may be in a hostel - which it is for most asylum seekers / refugees in the area that I live.

What's your point??

The link clearly says it may also be a house, a flat or a B&B. That is my point, so my post wasn't 'rubbish', was it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The link clearly says it may also be a house, a flat or a B&B. That is my point, so my post wasn't 'rubbish', was it?

Those put in houses are usually shared houses where it involves families with children as it would not be acceptable to put children into a hostel. The flats are usually multi-occupancy that make student digs look like luxury penthouses and B&Bs are a last resort.

Would you prefer that they were just left to live on the street?
  • Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is there is no rule of law in Libya. The country has become like Somalia, various militias and of course ISIS fighting for power.

That is all our fault. NATO had no business attacking Gadaffi leading to his removal and unlawful murder.

Libya was one of Africa's most prosperous countries under Muamar Gaddaffi and nobody was allowed to cross through Libya to migrate to. Europe.

None of this would be happening if we had not messed with the internal affairs of Libya. like Iraq we have helped destroy another country.
    Forum Member

Those put in houses are usually shared houses where it involves families with children as it would not be acceptable to put children into a hostel. The flats are usually multi-occupancy that make student digs look like luxury penthouses and B&Bs are a last resort.

Would you prefer that they were just left to live on the street?

Thank you, we got there in the end!

And no, I don't think anyone, not just AS's should have to live on the street, actually.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank you, we got there in the end!

And no, I don't think anyone, not just AS's should have to live on the street, actually.

You've lost me on whatever point scoring you think that you've achieved. The upshot is that they live in sh*t accommodation, often shared multi-occupancy or dormitories, not luxury houses that people are convinced they receive at the tax payers expense with unlimited budgets to shop at Waitrose or M&S.

Still, as long as you're happy with whatever point you've made.....
    Forum Member

You've lost me on whatever point scoring you think that you've achieved. The upshot is that they live in sh*t accommodation, often shared multi-occupancy or dormitories, not luxury houses that people are convinced they receive at the tax payers expense with unlimited budgets to shop at Waitrose or M&S.

Still, as long as you're happy with whatever point you've made.....

BIB - Goodness, you're going off on one a bit aren't you? Does anyone actually think that?

The point was, my post was not rubbish, and we have now established that.
  • ennuiennui Posts: 1,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is there is no rule of law in Libya. The country has become like Somalia, various militias and of course ISIS fighting for power.

That is all our fault. NATO had no business attacking Gadaffi leading to his removal and unlawful murder.

Libya was one of Africa's most prosperous countries under Muamar Gaddaffi and nobody was allowed to cross through Libya to migrate to. Europe.

None of this would be happening if we had not messed with the internal affairs of Libya. like Iraq we have helped destroy another country.
    Total nonsense. The issue of boat loads of illegal immigrant sub Saharan African predates any of these events. Nick Griffin warned us all about this issue in 2009.

[URL="/http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8141069.stm"]/http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8141069.stm[/URL]
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    The Australian prime minister is advising the EU to take a tough stance on the migrants.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3048375/If-want-stop-migrants-crossing-Mediterranean-don-t-let-asylum-seekers-set-foot-land-Australian-Prime-Minister-urges-EU-adopt-tough-policies-proved-success.html

It seems to be working in Australia, of course it doesn't solve the root problem.