Best supporting actress nominee and Bette Davis co-star Joan Lorring dies aged 88

Comments

• Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Oh sorry what I meant was -Was there any actresses who having heard on the grapevine about Alfreds behaviour eg what happened to Tippi Hidden point blank refused to ever work with him and gave him a wideberth?

Oh BTW today is a special and significant day for this special thread -but are you aware in what way? :cool:

I can't say that I ever heard of any actress giving Hitchcock a wide birth. I know that Barbara turned down Saboteur, but that was because she was just too busy with other projects.

No, I can't think of what significance today has for this thread, you will have to enlighten me. :confused:
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,696
    Forum Member
    I can't say that I ever heard of any actress giving Hitchcock a wide birth. I know that Barbara turned down Saboteur, but that was because she was just too busy with other projects.

No, I can't think of what significance today has for this thread, you will have to enlighten me. :confused:

Well the very woman who was the cause and inspiration and reason for this wonderful threads existence Joan Lorring would have celebrated her 89th Birthday today. This is her first birthday as such since she passed away and I felt given this thread wouldn't exist without her it was worthy of a mention.

Also next month it's a year since she died and thus a year since this thread started -something I intend to acknowledge and in the process hope to reinvigorate this thread for another year hopefully! :D:)
    Forum Member
    Well the very woman who was the cause and inspiration and reason for this wonderful threads existence Joan Lorring would have celebrated her 89th Birthday today. This is her first birthday as such since she passed away and I felt given this thread wouldn't exist without her it was worthy of a mention.

Also next month it's a year since she died and thus a year since this thread started -something I intend to acknowledge and in the process hope to reinvigorate this thread for another year hopefully! :D:)

Well, you certainly stumped me there, although I had been a big fan of Joan since I was ten year old kid, I didn't know her birth date. I knew she was born in 1926, and I see that she was born just four days before our Queen.

I am sure that this thread will survive, well as long as we are around anyway. ;-)

Incidentally, my training for the London Marathon is almost over, only two days at the gym next week, then it is plenty of rest until the big day. I can't believe that I have run over 400 miles since Christmas. :)
    Forum Member
    Well, you certainly stumped me there, although I had been a big fan of Joan since I was ten year old kid, I didn't know her birth date. I knew she was born in 1926, and I see that she was born just four days before our Queen.

I am sure that this thread will survive, well as long as we are around anyway. ;-)

Incidentally, my training for the London Marathon is almost over, only two days at the gym next week, then it is plenty of rest until the big day. I can't believe that I have run over 400 miles since Christmas. :)
    Your fitness levels put many younger people to shame!

I wish you the best of luck with it although I think it's your hardwork and dedication that will see you through not luck!

Speaking of the birthdays of Stars - Did Barbara Stanwyck share her birthday with any other stars and did any stars of this era hold massive birthday parties in which much of the Hollywood social scene were invited?
    Infact did movie moguls of this era invite and expect their chosen stars to their big parties notably birthday parties but we're in part an opportunity to schmooze and network -and would stars invited be foolish career wise not to accept the invitation?
    Forum Member
    Your fitness levels put many younger people to shame!

I wish you the best of luck with it although I think it's your hardwork and dedication that will see you through not luck!

Speaking of the birthdays of Stars - Did Barbara Stanwyck share her birthday with any other stars and did any stars of this era hold massive birthday parties in which much of the Hollywood social scene were invited?
    Infact did movie moguls of this era invite and expect their chosen stars to their big parties notably birthday parties but we're in part an opportunity to schmooze and network -and would stars invited be foolish career wise not to accept the invitation?

Thanks, I am feeling very confident because I have put in four months solid training. I feel sorry for those who are running for the first time and haven't trained. They are in for quite a shock, because there are no short cuts when running a Marathon, it's a hard slog no matter how much you have trained.

If you are watching on Sunday my number is 2061, and I will be wearing the orange vest for the M.S. charity. Although you may have difficulty picking me out of 30.000 runners. ;-)

Barbara shared her birthday July 16th, with Ginger Rogers, although Barbara was four years older. When they were both at RKO they had a joint birthday celebration in 1936.
    You can see photo's of her celebrating her 38th birthday on the set of Christmas in Connecticut in our group album.

MGM's Louis B Mayer celebrated his birthday on the fourth of July, and it was a major event every year. A big party was held in the studio commissary, and everyone, even the biggest stars were commanded to attend. ;-)
    Forum Member
    http://www.lamag.com/theseen/doris-day-on-her-91st-birthday/

Thought golden era fans may like this little snippet of Doris Day taken a few weeks ago on her 91st birthday.

Doris is rarely seen in public these days. Understandable at such a grand age.
    Forum Member
    Thanks, I am feeling very confident because I have put in four months solid training. I feel sorry for those who are running for the first time and haven't trained. They are in for quite a shock, because there are no short cuts when running a Marathon, it's a hard slog no matter how much you have trained.

If you are watching on Sunday my number is 2061, and I will be wearing the orange vest for the M.S. charity. Although you may have difficulty picking me out of 30.000 runners. ;-)

Barbara shared her birthday July 16th, with Ginger Rogers, although Barbara was four years older. When they were both at RKO they had a joint birthday celebration in 1936.
    You can see photo's of her celebrating her 38th birthday on the set of Christmas in Connecticut in our group album.

MGM's Louis B Mayer celebrated his birthday on the fourth of July, and it was a major event every year. A big party was held in the studio commissary, and everyone, even the biggest stars were commanded to attend. ;-)
    I won't ask what happened to stars who refused to attend Louis B Mayers party but obviously it wouldn't have been wise!

What a quirky fact Ginger Rogers sharing the same birthday as Barbara! Would you say they got on well?

I think anyone who goes into a marathon unprepared is barking mad! Please give me a reminder nearer the time and I will try and look out for you on the TV if I can! :D
    Forum Member
    I won't ask what happened to stars who refused to attend Louis B Mayers party but obviously it wouldn't have been wise!

What a quirky fact Ginger Rogers sharing the same birthday as Barbara! Would you say they got on well?

I think anyone who goes into a marathon unprepared is barking mad! Please give me a reminder nearer the time and I will try and look out for you on the TV if I can! :D

I am not a fan of Rogers as you know, and I did find it funny when she turned down the role of the stripper in Ball of Fire because she thought that the character of Sugarpuss O'Shea was "too common." Barbara jumped at the role, because as she said, "I LOVE playing common broads." and won a Best Actress Oscar Nomination for her brilliant performance. :D

I have a couple of photo's of them smiling together, and although they weren'r friends they probably respected each others talent.

With all my training completed, I have three days rest before the big day. We are already planning our next project, Google the following and you'll see us in the local paper, Marathon runners to launch running club in Faversham.
    Forum Member
    I am not a fan of Rogers as you know, and I did find it funny when she turned down the role of the stripper in Ball of Fire because she thought that the character of Sugarpuss O'Shea was "too common." Barbara jumped at the role, because as she said, "I LOVE playing common broads." and won a Best Actress Oscar Nomination for her brilliant performance. :D

I have a couple of photo's of them smiling together, and although they weren'r friends they probably respected each others talent.

With all my training completed, I have three days rest before the big day. We are already planning our next project, Google the following and you'll see us in the local paper, Marathon runners to launch running club in Faversham.

Did Ginger Rogers ever romance any of her costars?

Enjoy your rest and enjoy the big day but tell me please is there a secret to your enduring levels of zest for life and it's challenges?
    Forum Member
    Did Ginger Rogers ever romance any of her costars?

Enjoy your rest and enjoy the big day but tell me please is there a secret to your enduring levels of zest for life and it's challenges?

Not being a fan of Rogers, I don't know much about her romantic life. She was always shoving her religious views down everyone's throats, even though she managed to get married and divorced five times. Jack Briggs her third husband, was nine years younger than she was. Jacques Bergerac her fourth husband, was 16 years younger.

My zest for life is quite recent, especially since I took up running seriously around six years ago. This was around the time that I got to know my postman who is now my best friend. He is also a personal trainer, and it was with his encouragement that I took part in my first Half Marathon. I guess that keeping fit has now become an obsession, and what is so great is that I am much fitter than when I did my first London Marathon two years ago.

I would say that what keeps me going is always having a goal for the future. Our next big project is the Paris Marathon 2016, meanwhile we have our new running group beginning next month. I have so much to look forward to, which I know is quite unusual for someone of my age. I am very fortunate to be as fit as I am, and I intend to keep going as long as I can. ;-)
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the marathon on Sunday. I will see if I can spot you there on the TV. :p:D One of my friends on Facebook is also running and they feel very nervous at the moment.
    Forum Member
    Good luck with the marathon on Sunday. I will see if I can spot you there on the TV. :p:D One of my friends on Facebook is also running and they feel very nervous at the moment.

Thanks Dan,

Maybe it's because I have run it before, but I don't feel nervous, just happy and excited.

I will hopefully be here telling you all about it sometime Sunday evening. :)
    Forum Member
    Not being a fan of Rogers, I don't know much about her romantic life. She was always shoving her religious views down everyone's throats, even though she managed to get married and divorced five times. Jack Briggs her third husband, was nine years younger than she was. Jacques Bergerac her fourth husband, was 16 years younger.

My zest for life is quite recent, especially since I took up running seriously around six years ago. This was around the time that I got to know my postman who is now my best friend. He is also a personal trainer, and it was with his encouragement that I took part in my first Half Marathon. I guess that keeping fit has now become an obsession, and what is so great is that I am much fitter than when I did my first London Marathon two years ago.

I would say that what keeps me going is always having a goal for the future. Our next big project is the Paris Marathon 2016, meanwhile we have our new running group beginning next month. I have so much to look forward to, which I know is quite unusual for someone of my age. I am very fortunate to be as fit as I am, and I intend to keep going as long as I can. ;-)

I think your going to remain zesty to the very end Walter! 😁

Very best wishes and good luck for the Marathon tomorrow .I know you will give it 1000% and you should be very proud of yourself.
    I will try my best to look out for you onscreen according to circumstances at home ie if we have visitors etc

To quote a phrase Walter tomorrow knock em dead !👍

I had a question and article about old Hollywood actresses rubbing vaseline on their faces for the camera to create a special look but that can wait until you've got your big event over and done!
    All the best Sir
    Forum Member
    I think your going to remain zesty to the very end Walter! 😁

Very best wishes and good luck for the Marathon tomorrow .I know you will give it 1000% and you should be very proud of yourself.
    I will try my best to look out for you onscreen according to circumstances at home ie if we have visitors etc

To quote a phrase Walter tomorrow knock em dead !👍

I had a question and article about old Hollywood actresses rubbing vaseline on their faces for the camera to create a special look but that can wait until you've got your big event over and done!
    All the best Sir

Thanks very much. I am taking a tip from Paula Radcliffe and rubbing Vaseline on the soles of my feet tomorrow. :D
    Forum Member
    Walter how did you get on Sir? 👍
    Forum Member
    Walter how did you get on Sir? 👍

Not as good s I hoped, 6 hours, 53 minutes, 7 seconds, but it was 25 minutes better than last time, and I am two years older. ;-)

I was surprised that there were less than 200 of us over 70, and I came 77th out of those, so not to bad I guess. Everyone I know seem to be impressed anyway. :D

I as in the gym as usual at 6.45 yesterday morning to stretch my aching limps, and I managed to do 80 sit ups, and then I went swimming. My feet stlll hurt, but I should be fit enough for the Whitstable 10K on Monday, the day before I turn 78!

I am so proud of my friend Graham, he did his best run ever, 3 hours, 53 minutes, 3 hours faster than me.

The local paper are doing a spread on us tomorrow, meanwhile you can see lots of photo's on my Facebook page.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You did very well, so should be proud. Will have a nosey at the photos later, if you don't mind. :p

Also, think I'll join the Laurel and Hardy page on Facebook. A thread on here's reminded just how much I enjoyed watching them on TV when I was a child. A great double act.
    Forum Member
    You did very well, so should be proud. Will have a nosey at the photos later, if you don't mind. :p

Also, think I'll join the Laurel and Hardy page on Facebook. A thread on here's reminded just how much I enjoyed watching them on TV when I was a child. A great double act.

Yes, please do have a look Dan, you will see just how happy we are that we finished, and are wearing our medals with pride. :D

I think that I was around seven years old when I saw my first Laurel and Hardy film, The Dancing Masters.
    All I can remember about it was that they were on a bus that ended up on a roller coaster.
  • manderleymanderley Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not as good s I hoped, 6 hours, 53 minutes, 7 seconds, but it was 25 minutes better than last time, and I am two years older. ;-)

I was surprised that there were less than 200 of us over 70, and I came 77th out of those, so not to bad I guess. Everyone I know seem to be impressed anyway. :D

I as in the gym as usual at 6.45 yesterday morning to stretch my aching limps, and I managed to do 80 sit ups, and then I went swimming. My feet stlll hurt, but I should be fit enough for the Whitstable 10K on Monday, the day before I turn 78!

I am so proud of my friend Graham, he did his best run ever, 3 hours, 53 minutes, 3 hours faster than me.

The local paper are doing a spread on us tomorrow, meanwhile you can see lots of photo's on my Facebook page.

Congratulations Walter, Barton Keyes would have been proud of you. :)
    Forum Member
    manderley wrote: »
    Congratulations Walter, Barton Keyes would have been proud of you. :)

Thanks, I would like to think that even Phyllis Dietrichson might be impressed too! :D
  • manderleymanderley Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I would like to think that even Phyllis Dietrichson might be impressed too! :D

I bet you would. What is it about that anklet? ;-)
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done, Walter.
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant stuff Walter! I'm so glad it went well. :D
    Forum Member
    Very well done indeed Walter you should feel very proud of yourself -most people half your age wouldn't be up to such a feat!
    And your already making plans for more! :o

How do you find the time for downtime for stuff like films and old Hollywood fandom!??
    Forum Member
    manderley wrote: »
    I bet you would. What is it about that anklet? ;-)

LOVED the anklet, HATED the tacky blonde wig, she would have looked far more attractive with her own hair. Producer Buddy da Silva was so right when he cracked, "We hired Barbara Stanwyck and we got George Washington!" :D