Secondary XP account needing password to install things

DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey,

On the desktop computer (running Windows XP Home), there will be 2 accounts - one an administrator account, and the other for my little sister.

I would like to set it up so that the other account (sister's) cannot install anything without entering an administrator password. I've seen it done on school networks (although they are, of course, more complicated).

This is to prevent my little sister (whom the other account is for) from installing random crap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just set her account to a limited account in control panel.

Beyond that, it gets more complicated dealing with group policies etc.
  • DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much more complicated?
    I don't mind :)
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    depending on how little your little sister is you could use steadystate, then any changes she made would disappear when she reboots.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Just set her account to a limited account in control panel.

Beyond that, it gets more complicated dealing with group policies etc.

You can't create groups in XP Home Edition. The OP could further restrict his sister by putting her account into the guest group, though I'd have thought your first idea should be enough.
  • DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, doesn't matter too much.

She's 12, and has a habit of installing web games and general junk.

Her account is set to limited to for now. Thanks for your help.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,417
    Forum Member
    If you want to look into locking it down further you should give SteadyState a try. It will allow you to disable/hide features in a similar way to group policy as well as create a self-repairing account (if you want) that reverts back as to how you want it when she logs out.
  • kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to set it up so that the other account (sister's) cannot install anything without entering an administrator password.
    I think that is a function of the application's installer code. Some check if they are running as administrator and if not will prompt for the admin logon to get elevated priviledges. Others don't and either fail to install properly or give "access denied" errors. You can't make it prompt for the admin password.