Options

I Never Knew That...........(Thread)

Comments

• Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In "Enter The Dragon", in the underground fight scene, a man grabs Bruce Lee. Lee gets out of it and the breaks the mans' neck and arm. That man is Jackie Chan.
    Jackie Chan is also side-kicked through the paper screen wall in Bruce Lees' "Fist Of Fury"

Actually, I've known these things for years !:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    The German tribe's war chant at the beginning of Gladiator was taken from Zulu.
  • Options
    Dave5158Dave5158 Posts: 952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The actor who played the Scottish chef Shughie McFee in Crossroads (Angus Lennie) was in the film Great Escape. Also, Anthony Hopkins was not the first actor to play Hannibal Lectre. Brian Cox played that role in Manhunter.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie Boorman, companion of Ewan McGregor in 'Long Way Down' is the son of director John Boorman and was one of the main stars of the 80's movie The Emerald Forest.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Almost all of the characters in Final Destination are named after directors or stars from black and white horror movies.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    yorkieUK wrote: »
    I found this on a movie trivia website....

When the Mother-Ship passes over the Devil's Tower near the end of Spielberg's movie, Close Encounters of the Third Kind,
    R2-D2 can be seen hanging from the bottom of the ship.

I might have to rent the DVD just to see if it is true!

No need - at 01:29->01:33 here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYCBgSRNjk0

Other items on the mothership include - a model of Superman, and a model of the statue of Jesus that overlooks Rio de Janeiro. The lights on the mothership used something like 3500 volts, and could only be switched on for short periods of time to prevent it (and nearby workers) melting.

If you look closely you can see Lance Henriksen (Bishop the 'synthetic person' from Aliens) among the scientists at the end of the film (not sure if he's in that clip).
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only one I know because this thread is great and want to contribute.

When Snow White pulls back the bush and first sees the dwaves cottage, the soundtrack plays a couple of bars of the theme from Gone With the Wind (which had come out the year before).
  • Options
    iammeiamme Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    What a great thread I have one:

All 3 of the main stars in Rebel Without A Cause died in tragic circumstances. James Dean died in a car crash aged just 24 in 1955, Natalie Wood Drowned age 43 in 1981 and Sal Mineo was stabbed to death age 37 in 1976.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In SW E1 TPM, in the senate chamber scenes one of the senate balconies is filled with ETs.

George Lucas held the film rights to the book 'Heart of Darkness' which was used as a basis for the film Apocolypse Now. His friend John Milius wrote the screen play for AN and after he passed up the chance to direct the film, GL was lined up. He however got the green light to direct another film at that time, namely SW. Copolla finished The Godfather Part 2 and took over the directing job. The original cast was Marlon Brando, Steve McQueen and Gene Hackman. Al Pacino, Robert Redford & Jack Nicholson were all approached before the final cast was set.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    The Jubilee Line station at Canary Wharf was inspired by the submarine pen in The Spy Who Loved Me.
    Intrigued, I google-imaged this and yes, an odd similarity. Fancy that.

In the Marx Bros. film Monkey Business, Groucho tells Thelma Todd: "You're a woman who's been getting nothing but dirty breaks. Well, we can clean and tighten your brakes, but you'll have to stay in the garage all night."

Five years later Todd was found dead in a garage. It was caused by carbon monoxide poisoning after spending the night in there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to a famous movie armourer, the only "Western" actors who never blinked while firing a gun in their films were Clint Eastwood and Yul Brynner
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Intrigued, I google-imaged this and yes, an odd similarity. Fancy that.

In the Marx Bros. film Monkey Business, Groucho tells Thelma Todd: "You're a woman who's been getting nothing but dirty breaks. Well, we can clean and tighten your brakes, but you'll have to stay in the garage all night."

Five years later Todd was found dead in a garage. It was caused by carbon monoxide poisoning after spending the night in there.

Or was she murdered by Lucky Luciano, as has been suggested?
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    soran wrote: »
    Alexi Sayle had a funny cameo in The Last Crusade.

Debatable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to a famous movie armourer, the only "Western" actors who never blinked while firing a gun in their films were Clint Eastwood and Yul Brynner

Who's been watching QI then?:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    Who's been watching QI then?:)

I have !:D
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carl Gottlieb, who played Iron Balls McGinty in 'The Jerk' also wrote the screenplay for 'Jaws'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marilyn Monroe's final movie "Something's Got to Give" was left unfinished as a result of her death.
    The same story was later filmed as "Move Over Darling" with Doris Day(!).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    Hannah Murray who played Cassie in the first&second series of Skins (e4/channel 4) had a tiny part in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (she is on the cart going up to hogwarts with Ron, Harry and Hermione) :)

You're joking ain't you? That was Evanna Lynch who played Luna "Loony" Lovegood.

But I am guessing you were joking.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    Also here is a bit of trivia.

The line "Elvis has left the building", which Will Smith yells toward the end of Independance day, is translated "Last train to Mikkeli has just left" on the Finnish DVD. Mikkeli is a town in Finland.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    In "Enter The Dragon", in the underground fight scene, a man grabs Bruce Lee. Lee gets out of it and the breaks the mans' neck and arm. That man is Jackie Chan.
    Jackie Chan is also side-kicked through the paper screen wall in Bruce Lees' "Fist Of Fury"

Actually, I've known these things for years !:D

Sammo Hung also fights Bruce Lee at the beginning of Enter The Dragon. Yuen Biao was also there and was stunt double for Bruce Lee and he was one of the 'fake' Bruces Lee's in Game of Death

All where schoolmates at the Peking Opera School... except Bruce Lee :) who was a the Crown Colony Cha-Cha dance champion of 1958 :p
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The great British film comic Will Hay was a respected amateur Astronomer.

Gary Cooper and Humphrey Bogart were overly well endowed in the marriage tackle department.

In The Manchurian Candidate actress Angela Lansbury as the Mother was only 4 years older than her son Lawrence Harvey.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    Only Discovered yesterday that Gweneth Paltrow played Young Wendy darling in hook.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roald Dahl wrote the screenplays of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and You Only Live Twice, two Ian Fleming book adaptations. Though neither film follows Fleming's book remotely!

They really wanted Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews to reprise their pairing from Mary Poppins in the Chitty film but Julie couldn't do it in the end. Other fun facts are that Benny Hill is in the film as the toymaker, they used over 100 dogs for one of the musical sequences. Robert Helpmann, who played the Childcatcher, was a hugely respected dancer and artistic director. Also, everyone thinks it's a Disney movie when it's not! Just the same people wrote the songs.
  • Options
    musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Nicole Kidman had filmed scenes for The Panic Room but she injured herself doing another movie so Jodie Foster took over the role when Kidman dropped out resulting to scenes being re filmed.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    You're joking ain't you? That was Evanna Lynch who played Luna "Loony" Lovegood.

But I am guessing you were joking.

No, I'm not talking about Luna Lovegood, I know Evanna Lynch plays her. :) Just before their carriage arrives, Hannah Murray is on the one in front. :) That one pulls away as theirs arrives.