Guys at hen parties

CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
Forum Member
I've been invited by a work colleague to their hen party which caught me off guard because I didn't expect such an invitation. I'm not sure whether to go because it all seems very clichéd to invite me if it's partly on the basis that I'm gay? I cringe when I've seen other hens invite their gay [most likely] male friends and they're generally the only guy there. I don't consider her a **** hag so do think she has invited me for genuine friendship reasons but wasn't even expecting an invite to her wedding or evening reception (maybe I still won't get an invite).

Any guys been to a hen do and how did you find it? :D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a no from me.

Had this argument with my sister when we were planning her hen do. She has loads of gay friends. Not argument - obviously she could invite who she wanted to her own hen do - but debate, anyway.

They're men who happen to be gay - they're not women! There was no chat about her inviting her straight male friends to her hen do. Honestly I think it's borderline offensive
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going out drinking with a load of over-excited women... what could possibly go wrong?
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's not your thing, don't go. I don't go to stereotypical hen parties because I detest them, and im female.

Maybe the girl means well, but it's kind of saying 'you're gay, so you're clearly one to enjoy girlie things'
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I don't see how it matters really my best freind said if/when she gets married she wants me to go on hers and I'm not gay
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I've been asked to a hen party before. My sister in law invited me.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    what kind of hen party is it?
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see how it matters really my best freind said if/when she gets married she wants me to go on hers and I'm not gay

Aye but it sounds like the OP has been allowed to go as a guy, because he is gay.I could be wrong like.

My husband and I had a joint stag and hen do. Both of us can't stand the traditional ones so we just made it as an excuse to get as many people together for a pre wedding pissup in some beer gardens in the summer. Teas a great day, afternoon evening out :)
  • DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been to a few hen parties and it usually ends with some male stripper getting you to oil his body parts. The last one I went to the bride to be looked extremely uncomfortable when this oldish male stripper turned up dressed as policeman. If I get married I will not be having a hen party because I find them tacky.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think some people are going for more mixed events. It makes sense if their friends are both male and female.
    I can see why the OP may feel as if he is being invited as the 'token gay' though.
    I myself have only been on a couple of hen nights (quite a few years ago) and they were just pub crawls. Not all hen nights involve male strippers.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    CloneClown wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether to go because it all seems very clichéd to invite me if it's partly on the basis that I'm gay?

Bit of an assumption to assume that just because you're attracted to men means you want to hang out with a load of women, and all that goes with them, I think.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,267
    Forum Member
    Do you have to pay for drinks? Cause' if it's free drinks, it's free drinks!!!
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing worse would probably be a stag party...

Frankly I loathe both. So no I wouldn't go, unless I was the "entertainment" :D
  • DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was invited to a hen party that was in Spain. The bride expected me to pay for my own ticket so I pretended I had a previous engagement.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Aye but it sounds like the OP has been allowed to go as a guy, because he is gay.I could be wrong like.

My husband and I had a joint stag and hen do. Both of us can't stand the traditional ones so we just made it as an excuse to get as many people together for a pre wedding pissup in some beer gardens in the summer. Teas a great day, afternoon evening out :)
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    I think some people are going for more mixed events. It makes sense if their friends are both male and female.
    I can see why the OP may feel as if he is being invited as the 'token gay' though.
    I myself have only been on a couple of hen nights (quite a few years ago) and they were just pub crawls. Not all hen nights involve male strippers.

Well I don't drink alcohol at all so maybe that is another reasons she would want me around at least I'd remember the way home:D
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's not your thing, don't go. I don't go to stereotypical hen parties because I detest them, and im female.

Maybe the girl means well, but it's kind of saying 'you're gay, so you're clearly one to enjoy girlie things'

if it was then said like that then most of my gay friends would find that offensive, they're no more girly than most of my male friends. In fact it is rather offensive, 'gays are girly' yeh that's really nice.
  • CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    Assume it's a night out in town and my goodness I had forgotten about the prospect of a stripper - complete cringe and would make it so awkward for me if there was one! I really don't want to believe that she perhaps has the stereotypes mentioned above because it would obviously disappoint me to learn this about her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I don't see a problem with it, but don't see why Gay men would want to, Hen parties annoy the tits off me, as do baby showers
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had what I called a mixed-poultry night instead of a hen night, both sexes were invited.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    I had what I called a mixed-poultry night instead of a hen night, both sexes were invited.

We call them "Sten nights"
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We call them "Sten nights"

Not "Hag nights" then? :)

I don't mind stag/hen parties. What I don't like is what they have evolved into over the last few years. Nowadays it such things involve a weekend or even a week away, often abroad, doing lots of chiched actitivies such as quad biking or spa visits. A few years ago, a few drinks and perhaps a meal locally were fine, and sensibly priced.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    I had three blokes at my hen do- two of them in a relationship with each other, and the other has a girlfriend :) I just invited my closest friends regardless of gender, but maybe I'm a bit weird.....
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She probably just thought you'd like to go. I doubt she meant any harm by it. Just say thanks but you'd rather not spend a night out as the only male in the group.