Options

HO Am I the only one that never had much of a problem with Maddie and co?

iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
Forum Member
I mean they weren't the best characters ever, but they weren't as god damn awful as people make out on here? :confused: They offered some good SL's [Esther's bullying counts as one!] and generally I don't think they were all terrible characters. As a group, they did get annoying at times, but they offered decent material at times I thought :confused:. TBH I much preferred them to the Uni lot, a load of bland characters shoved down our throats at once!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I agree
  • Options
    mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    The uni lot (Ash and Will aside) were far superior. The teens were pretentious, particularly when they were first introduced (it was all 'babes' and 'hashtag'). It seemed like a very forced attempt at a teen focus. It was too much at once at the start. The bullying plot and the trafficking was the only decent thing they really did with them.

Neil - a nothingy waste of space.
    Jono - a wet weekend, dopey idiot
    George - at the start a horrible stereotype
    Tilly - seemed very false and insincere as a character, no real personality at the start apart from being a lesbian and crying because she didn't do well in a presentation
    Callum - the best of the bunch although boxed into this 'moody intellectual' at the start.
    Maddie - horrifically self centred and unlikeable Queen Bee made out to be inspirational and heroic.

Not to mention they dressed them in ludicrous ways. If they were like 'normal' teenagers then they were the sort you wanted to avoid. The ones who thought they were 'legends' and the coolest in school.
  • Options
    MrWoodySirMrWoodySir Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Meh, I liked most of them but I think it's the fact that at times they we're overused. It's a shame because I feel Jono and especially Maddie really came in their own just before they we're prematurely killed off. Is we got Maddie away from the other teens a bit she could have been a great character, it was showed she had a heart when Joel (Warren's Son) rejected her. Incredibly the two most boring George and Tilly lasted the longest.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    They were daibolical, every last one of them. I can't believe George has survived this long.
  • Options
    fairyfruitcakefairyfruitcake Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of them were awful, especially Maddie who was played by one of the worst actors I have ever seen in the show and that's saying something!
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just couldn't take them seriously. The clothes, the way they talked and behaved.... Not to mention Maddie being played by someone about 10 years older than she was supposed to be.
  • Options
    hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of them were awful, especially Maddie who was played by one of the worst actors I have ever seen in the show and that's saying something!

worse than Noah and Liberty??:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mojo5000 wrote: »
    The uni lot (Ash and Will aside) were far superior. The teens were pretentious, particularly when they were first introduced (it was all 'babes' and 'hashtag'). It seemed like a very forced attempt at a teen focus. It was too much at once at the start. The bullying plot and the trafficking was the only decent thing they really did with them.

Tilly - seemed very false and insincere as a character, no real personality at the start apart from being a lesbian and crying because she didn't do well in a presentation
    Callum - the best of the bunch although boxed into this 'moody intellectual' at the start.
    Maddie - horrifically self centred and unlikeable Queen Bee made out to be inspirational and heroic.

Not to mention they dressed them in ludicrous ways. If they were like 'normal' teenagers then they were the sort you wanted to avoid. The ones who thought they were 'legends' and the coolest in school.
    The teens had more depth to them and more interesting SL's. They were also introduced better, more gradually. I mean lets take a look at the Uni lot, they were all stereotypical and had completely uninteresting personalities.

Ash - Rock chick
    Annalise - OCD freak
    Rob - Jack the lad
    Barney - Posh boy
    Scott - Irrelevant

Was there anyone else? Anyway, Barney and Ash did get better, but to start with ALL of them didn't have anything else to their personality other than their stereotypes. Not to mention they were all introduced at once and given a fair bit of screen time, so they were shoved down our throats. As for the teens, the 'babes', 'hashtag' stuff, that's how lots of teens talk. And I can say that as a 16 year old right now. They were all just more interesting characters and easier to engage in, they all got better over time

Neil - Boring but didn't add anything atrociously bad so it didn't matter
    Jono - Started off as a bit of an idiot, but he was quite amusing at times and by the time he left he had developed in to a nice young lad!
    George - I'll admit he was horrible at the start but he did get a lot better with the homeless plot
    Tilly - She had her moments and was a good actress, but I'll admit she didn't really have any personality to her
    Callum - Good character!
    Maddie - She was a nasty bitch but that was the point, and she did show a vulnerable at times! And made out to be sweet and heroic? What?? :confused: Yes, because her awful treatment of Esther was so heroic.

And I liked Esther, Ruby, Sinead and Bart! You're right about the kids that people wanted to avoid, but that was the point in them and that' how they were portrayed. They were meant to be the 'popular' kids everyone else was intimidated by. Anyways, the teens were much more memorable than any of the Uni lot. I mean other than Ash, did any of them actually have a proper SL? :confused: The teens left some good impact, and the bullying SL was one of the best I've seen on soap.
  • Options
    Scorpio87Scorpio87 Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I for one will never hear a bad word said about Maddie! I absolutely loved her and she was the only reason i bothered tuning into The Brendan Show for. She wasn't as overused or as bad as people made her out to be, she was just demonised in a hope of making an extremely bland character (Esther) seem much more interesting than she ever was or even still is. The writers should have made her a bit more like Brooke from One Tree Hill, sassy and bitchy but funny and endearing as well, but for some odd reason they decided to just regress her to a panto villain and therefore i can see why people disliked her but for me this wasn't the same character i grew to love, this was a desperate attempt to sacrifice one of the teens to make the others seem more popular. By refusing to add any depth to her or involve her in any less juvenile storylines made the character a bit stagnent (not to mention the countless holiday's she supposedly went on to explain her many absences from group scenes) they basically decided to butcher a potentially great character rather than make the effort of undoing all mistakes they'd made with the character. Sorry about the rant but Maddie was a character i was passionate about and still hate the way she was/still is treated all for piddly little Esther, who over a year on, still isn't remotely interesting and is still playing the 'poor little Esther card' 24/7.

As for the others they all had brilliant potential but at the time their seemed to be one 'main star' who took up so much screentime there was only filler screentime left and the cast was huge at the time so everyone else was fighting for about 2/3 scenes a week which mean't none of them were particularly developed well or in any depth. The only two teens i could happily have done without were Tilly and Neil. My dislike of Tilly was because she was so sickly sweet and bland that she was incredibly boring but people raved about her being the best of the newbies. It is always easier to like 'nice' characters but for me she was too full of herself and always on her high horse that she was irritating. Neil just seemed too excessive. He was too similar to Jono, no one seemed particularly close to him and originally he came across quite onoxious. It always felt like Emma Smithwick was trying to create a tamer version of Skins (which i always found to be such an unrealistic portrayal of teenagers anyway) but the storylines were more juvenile and they acted more like 12/13 year olds rather than young adults.

Sorry about the rant but the teens were characters i actually really enjoyed but were totally butchered by TPTB at the time, and the way they were treated and developed (or didn't bother to as it turned out).

:)
  • Options
    SonicmfcSonicmfc Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Highly unpopular opinion but I thought Maddie was actually one of the better teens out of the lot she at least had potential to be an interesting character but it seemed everytime they gave her some depth/backstory they got frightened and turned her into a b*tch again.. They definitely should have explored her vulnerable side more and it still really annoys me they all remember her as some hero except Callum who's also dead
  • Options
    Dark_StarDark_Star Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I loved Maddie too and was gutted they killed her off. I also think they missed out on a great storyline as after the mini bus crashed she left one of them in the bus to die. It would of been great to see how she dealt with dealing with the secret and the guilt of leaving one of her friends to die in the bus. Instead they killed her off too just seconds later making what she did rather pointless.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    God, they were awful! Terrible, terrible, terrible.com, babes.

The only good thing about Maddie was her getting sent to oblivion by a van door.

Absence has not made the heart grow fonder. Time has not healed. I just used to mute them or put the kettle on.

But at least back then some of the other characters were good enough to keep me watching.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    iMatt_101 wrote: »
    The teens had more depth to them and more interesting SL's. They were also introduced better, more gradually. I mean lets take a look at the Uni lot, they were all stereotypical and had completely uninteresting personalities.

Was there anyone else? Anyway, Barney and Ash did get better, but to start with ALL of them didn't have anything else to their personality other than their stereotypes. Not to mention they were all introduced at once and given a fair bit of screen time, so they were shoved down our throats. As for the teens, the 'babes', 'hashtag' stuff, that's how lots of teens talk. And I can say that as a 16 year old right now. They were all just more interesting characters and easier to engage in, they all got better over time

Neil - Boring but didn't add anything atrociously bad so it didn't matter
    Jono - Started off as a bit of an idiot, but he was quite amusing at times and by the time he left he had developed in to a nice young lad!
    George - I'll admit he was horrible at the start but he did get a lot better with the homeless plot
    Tilly - She had her moments and was a good actress, but I'll admit she didn't really have any personality to her
    Callum - Good character!
    Maddie - She was a nasty bitch but that was the point, and she did show a vulnerable at times! And made out to be sweet and heroic? What?? :confused: Yes, because her awful treatment of Esther was so heroic.

And I liked Esther, Ruby, Sinead and Bart! You're right about the kids that people wanted to avoid, but that was the point in them and that' how they were portrayed. They were meant to be the 'popular' kids everyone else was intimidated by.

BIB: You're remembering wrong, whilst Maddie and Tilly and Jono were briefly introduced in the vacuous Abersoch trip, they were dumped on the show as a large preening pack pre-September to start 6th Form with no background as to why they'd all moved to the area to attend school.

For me the Freshers weren't try hards like the 6th Formers, they were well rounded individuals. The Rob, Annalise and Scott love triangle was well down and had no gimmicks but fairly grown up conversations. Annalise didn't have OCD, she was a perfectionist. I liked them as they were a believable group and unfortunately wasted by the show.

As I said, I think the teens got better but they were awful at the start. The dialogue, while teens may talk like that, felt unauthentic onscreen. Cringey. The writing seemed like it was trying too hard to be down with the kids. Maybe they worked for you when you were 14 but they made me wince.

When I referred to Maddie as being written as heroic I obviously wasn't referring to her bullying of Esther. I was referring to her time on the show where she acted like a privileged princess, the hero of the hour when it came to rescuing George, that all the teens seemed to suck up to her. She made everything about her.

She was excellent as a bitch, granted. The 'vulnerable' precious Maddie stuff didn't work. It felt insincere and false. And a huge group of intimidating popular kids are not a pleasant watch, particularly not at the start when the show treated them like this cool fun gang that you aspired to be part of.
  • Options
    vixj83vixj83 Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    I hated maddie, and her friends, with a vengeance. I cheered, quite literally, when she died. It was a great twist that I hadn't seen coming. The point of showing her leaving her friend to die I think was just to add that extra 'she so deserved that' impact to her own sudden death!
    I have hated all student newcomers for many a year to be honest. What is with all the very posh southerners turning up at a random northern community college? Maybe this happens in real life, I don't know, but it just seemed to me many of them don't fit in.
    The character was played out well, when I say I hated her I am talking from someone who sympathised with Esther almost as though it were real ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BIB: You're remembering wrong, whilst Maddie and Tilly and Jono were briefly introduced in the vacuous Abersoch trip, they were dumped on the show as a large preening pack pre-September to start 6th Form with no background as to why they'd all moved to the area to attend school.

For me the Freshers weren't try hards like the 6th Formers, they were well rounded individuals. The Rob, Annalise and Scott love triangle was well down and had no gimmicks but fairly grown up conversations. Annalise didn't have OCD, she was a perfectionist. I liked them as they were a believable group and unfortunately wasted by the show.

As I said, I think the teens got better but they were awful at the start. The dialogue, while teens may talk like that, felt unauthentic onscreen. Cringey. The writing seemed like it was trying too hard to be down with the kids. Maybe they worked for you when you were 14 but they made me wince.

When I referred to Maddie as being written as heroic I obviously wasn't referring to her bullying of Esther. I was referring to her time on the show where she acted like a privileged princess, the hero of the hour when it came to rescuing George, that all the teens seemed to suck up to her. She made everything about her.

She was excellent as a bitch, granted. The 'vulnerable' precious Maddie stuff didn't work. It felt insincere and false. And a huge group of intimidating popular kids are not a pleasant watch, particularly not at the start when the show treated them like this cool fun gang that you aspired to be part of.
    I'll admit that was odd, but it's HO. I wouldn't read too much in to it. However the introductions were more gradual and less 'full on' with them. I mean when the Freshers were introduced, the WHOLE episode was dedicated to them. The only regular characters in the episode were Will and Theresa if I remember correctly.

And what do you mean by they were try-hards? As in they all tried to act cool? Because I'm pretty sure that was the point in their characters. And it's a realistic thing among teenage groups. Their cliquey business did get annoying but at least they had depth and interesting SL's. What did the freshers actually offer? What more to their personalities was there other than their stereotypes? Does anyone actually remember them now? I mean Ash and Barney only became bearable IMO once their group dynamic died down, they were always very cringey and forced to me. I never bought their whole 'we are family' thing. You could argue the teenage group was forced too, but that was sort of the point. They were supposed to be more of a 'clique' than a friendship group.

And isn't HO meant to be aimed at teenagers? If teenagers found the dialogue believable then they were doing a good job. I mean it would make most adults 'wince', but that doesn't make it bad writing, it's about the age difference.

And that was the point. She was supposed to be the 'Queen bee' with her followers, it was a fairly realistic representation. Her followers might have sucked up to her, but I think the viewers were supposed to find her bitchy. I found her quite an interesting character. I mean if you remember her parents, it made sense that she was the way she was.

And I dunno, I quite liked her during her vulnerable moments. I mean during the bullying SL, it was her previous vulnerability that made it all the more effective for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    iMatt_101 wrote: »
    And what do you mean by they were try-hards? As in they all tried to act cool? Because I'm pretty sure that was the point in their characters. And it's a realistic thing among teenage groups. Their cliquey business did get annoying but at least they had depth and interesting SL's. What did the freshers actually offer? What more to their personalities was there other than their stereotypes? Does anyone actually remember them now? I mean Ash and Barney only became bearable IMO once their group dynamic died down, they were always very cringey and forced to me. I never bought their whole 'we are family' thing. You could argue the teenage group was forced too, but that was sort of the point. They were supposed to be more of a 'clique' than a friendship group.

And isn't HO meant to be aimed at teenagers? If teenagers found the dialogue believable then they were doing a good job. I mean it would make most adults 'wince', but that doesn't make it bad writing, it's about the age difference.

And that was the point. She was supposed to be the 'Queen bee' with her followers, it was a fairly realistic representation. Her followers might have sucked up to her, but I think the viewers were supposed to find her bitchy. I found her quite an interesting character. I mean if you remember her parents, it made sense that she was the way she was.

And I dunno, I quite liked her during her vulnerable moments. I mean during the bullying SL, it was her previous vulnerability that made it all the more effective for me.

But as I've said, I'm not sure "teenagers trying to act cool" is an enjoyable group of characters to watch for anyone. Cliques, unless they're self-aware ala Mean Girls, do not generally make good viewing, it's alienating. They're arrogant in their 'coolness' and therefore irritating. I didn't buy the 'friends = family' either but having done the whole uni student/halls thing I can buy it to an extent. BIB: You could argue the same about the teens but personality I felt there was more depth to the uni ones because the acting was superior. Ash was the only weak link for me.

Good dialogue should appeal to everyone. Young Adult books are aimed at teenagers but are enjoyed by adults too so I don't think you can say believable dialogue aimed at teenagers would make 'adults' (I was 24 when Maddie and co arrived, I'm hardly past it) wince. Saying that I would never wish to know anyone who used 'totes' 'babes' or 'hashtag' in conversation without irony ;). Funnily enough they must have realised how awful the dialogue sounded because it was toned down a lot from what it was like at the start.

I remember the whole "woe is me my parents don't really pay me attention" guff. Didn't buy it. I think we were supposed to admire and feel sorry for at the start but I couldn't. She was a very unappealing person. Insincere as I've said.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The uni lot? Was that scott, rob and annalise and india? I preferred maddie sinead jono bart neil ruby
  • Options
    B*witchedB*witched Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    Maddie was vile, blaming Esther right until the end for problems she created herself. The rest were so-so. Some I liked, others like Barney, George and Tilly I grew to like and a couple, Rob and Annalise who didn't do much for me as a viewer at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly! They were a horrible, loathsome, pretentious lot, and far worse, the show seemed to celebrate them as some sort of cool heros. It was disgusting. Thankfully, they spotted viewers' problems with the sixth formers (not a moment too soon) and started changing things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly! They were a horrible, loathsome, pretentious lot, and far worse, the show seemed to celebrate them as some sort of cool heros. It was disgusting. Thankfully, they spotted viewers' problems with the sixth formers (not a moment too soon) and started changing things.

Thank you for summarising what I was getting at! :)
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    They were awful and completely ruined the Silas aftermath I would take the current gangsters over them any day.

The show was like a poor mans version of Skins.
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    Although completely overwhelming and somewhat unnecessary at the time, quite a few of the sixth formers have done the long stretch and Sinead in particular is quite the central character nowadays.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were awful, I hated that era of Oaks. I can't tell you how great it was seeing that piece of metal come flying down on her face, one of the best soap moments ever.
    The actress was awful, I remember when George went missing and she attempted to cry, it was beyond awful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The only one that was axed for being a bad character was Neil. Maddie and Jono were killed off as part of Esther's bullying SL. Callum was axed I suppose but it was long after the 'teen group' had split, and Tilly quit.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if I'm right, but didn't tptb at the time manage to involve Maddie in the Silas aftermath. All soaps and EP have this problem of favouring a group of characters and it pisses me off. There are other characters I would like to see get sls, but they are either in the background or used in other people's sls.