Do you actually enjoy christmas 'food'?

Marie4evaMarie4eva Posts: 1,296
Forum Member
✭✭✭
or would you prefer something else? mate of mine said he wouldn't mind a donna kebab later because he hates christmas dinner...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Depends whether you can / enjoy cooking or not, from both parties (the person cooking, or the people who have to eat it).

I think most people can't "cook" outside of their comfort zone of the 4 or 5 meals they prepare week in, week out for their family, so come Christmas day they're expected to prepare something completely different in order to "conform", which stresses them out, and they produce something half arsed that nobody really enjoys.
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had kiev yesterday and a sandwich today, but then I'm not one for christmas or eating things you don't like or not in the mood for. If your friend doesn't like roast turkey dinner, then he should've eaten something else. You don't have to eat something just because it's tradition.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Marie4eva wrote: »
    or would you prefer something else? mate of mine said he wouldn't mind a donna kebab later because he hates christmas dinner...

Full Christmas dinner here and absolutely love it.

In fact, all the Christmas food is a pleasure. Once I get back to Oxfordshire from Perthshire, I'll be hitting the supermarkets to grab the end-of-line Christmas cake, Stollen, Dundee cake. I'll be at the local bakers here first though to get my Black Bun to take back with me though.

Then roll on Easter for Simnel cake!
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like turkey and all the trimmings, especially stuffing as Christmas is the only time I have it.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I like cold turkey and stuffing sandwiches and the assortments of biscuits and chocolates around at xmas but thats it.

Im not generally that fussed about roast dinners so i would much rather have a nice mexican meal, or some pasta or something i actually enjoy eating.

I dont mind a roast but i would never pick one through choice. I just find them too much and too stodgy. Even if i eat a small amount i still end up feeling bloated and full and lazy.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love turkey and al the trimmings. As for people who say it's too dry. I think that you aren't cooking it properly or you have a dodgy bird to begin with. Mine was dripping juices :)
  • Rab64Rab64 Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it all. From tomorrow sandwiches of turkey, stuffing, and a smear of cranberry
  • NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's nothing finer than a Turkey Dinner with all the Trimmings, imo.... Done well of course!!!! :p
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love all Christmas food; turkey, sprouts, mince pies, Christmas cake and pudding, yule log, stollen loaf....everything. Its the only time of year I pig out until I feel sick!

Just preparing the cold turkey and mash potato for tea.
  • allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't like Christmas pudding, so don't serve it. Had a lush Tescos Finest yule log with extra thick double cream. Yum
  • DevilGirlDevilGirl Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    Yeah I love turkary and all the trimmings not sprouts tho there yuk
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    I like turkey and all the trimmings, especially stuffing as Christmas is the only time I have it.

Same here. I love Christmas dinner and Christmas pud and loads of cream.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't do turkey, but beef and lamb, and have them rarely.

I cooked beef Wellingtons today with port sauce, roast potatoes, and veg - mince pies and cream for pud, it was AWESOME.

My Mother said it was one of the best things she's ever had. Lush.

Thanks Aldi.:blush:

So, yes - what's not to like about roast, indulgence, mince pies and Christmas pud?

Bloody lovely. If there wasn't already Christmas we'd have to invent it.

(I am really sick of chocolate though).
  • ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    Normally love Christmas dinner, but this year I was slightly disappointed.

However, it was still a million times better than anything Whetherspoons offered, when I went there for my works Christmas do.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Christmas food. I even adore brussel sprouts. Yesterday was the only full on roast dinner we had. Tonight it's cold turkey with bubble and squeak. My husband's favourite thing in the world is a turkey sandwich
  • D_PeugeotD_Peugeot Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lovely roast dinner with all the family around cannot be beaten.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    It's the company you keep, not the food that you eat. I would be happy with a Big Mac as long as I was with my family and friends.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like Xmas pudding / Mince Pies / sprouts

Love turkey / Baileys / Yule log etc...

To me it's just a nice excuse to buy things we don't usually have in and overindulge for a week or so. We have people round, watch lots of films and generally just have a break from the "norm"
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the company you keep, not the food that you eat. I would be happy with a Big Mac as long as I was with my family and friends.
    Absolutely - we didn't think Mum would still be with us this Christmas, and it's never a certainty that she or Dad will be with us next Christmas, so we thoroughly enjoyed spending this one together.

However, Mum's also a terrific cook and we had stuffed pheasant with mash, sweet potatoes, sprouts (love them :D) and carrots, with a fantastic gravy which was terrifically heavy on the wine :D

It was my daughter's first sit down Christmas family dinner (usually it's a buffet) and was a very pleasant day, although Dad didn't know who we were half the time and was confused by the whole thing. It was just nice for us to be together.

ETA: It was my first Christmas with diabetes and I was extremely conscious of every morsel that passed my lips, which did spoil it a bit, although I did have some chocolate!
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it but wished somebody else had cooked for me.

By the time I had finished cooking yesterday, started at 8:30 am, on and off during the day, sat down to eat at 4 pm, I had no appetite at all. Threw most of my plate away, so did my son, lil shite was eating Lindors all day!!

Pizza next year methinks.
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    My husband's favourite thing in the world is a turkey sandwich

Oh yes, cannot beat a turkey sandwich.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marie4eva wrote: »

Dont hate Christmas dinner, after all it's a form of a roast, but I think a "normal" roast is a bit better. It's ok as a one off, wouldn't want it regularly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Dont hate Christmas dinner, after all it's a form of a roast, but I think a "normal" roast is a bit better. It's ok as a one off, wouldn't want it regularly.
    :confused: What's abnormal about Christmas roast... roast chicken/turkey (or other meat/poultry/game), same as any other roast chicken, roast potatoes ... same as any other time of year... and so on???
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    queenshaks wrote: »
    I love it but wished somebody else had cooked for me.

By the time I had finished cooking yesterday, started at 8:30 am, on and off during the day, sat down to eat at 4 pm, I had no appetite at all. Threw most of my plate away, so did my son, lil shite was eating Lindors all day!!

Pizza next year methinks.

It either 'gets easier' - kids, family members help a lot - my sister did nine this year but had 'all hands on deck, most of our kids are grown up. It was bloody hard when they were all rather young, although we did rota some brutal washing and clearing duties from an early age.

Or YOU make it easier - I do fresh veg MOST of the time, but I would do bloody ANYTHING to make life simpler if I was under the cosh - pre cut veg, frozen spuds and parsnips, prepared meats, GO FOR IT.

YOU need a good time too, and delegation and prepacked is bloody fine when you are doing loads of it.

It's not a competition. It's about feeding tons of people, get help, save yourself, DRINK GIN.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It either 'gets easier' - kids, family members help a lot - my sister did nine this year but had 'all hands on deck, most of our kids are grown up. It was bloody hard when they were all rather young, although we did rota some brutal washing and clearing duties from an early age.

Or YOU make it easier - I do fresh veg MOST of the time, but I would do bloody ANYTHING to make life simpler if I was under the cosh - pre cut veg, frozen spuds and parsnips, prepared meats, GO FOR IT.

YOU need a good time too, and delegation and prepacked is bloody fine when you are doing loads of it.

It's not a competition. It's about feeding tons of people, get help, save yourself, DRINK GIN.
    Excellent advice I would say :D