Options

Earliest Doctor Who memories

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
Forum Member
✭✭
What were your earliest Doctor Who memories? In my case it was probably watching someone being exterminated in 'Genesis of the Daleks' when BBC2 repeated it in 1992. My first clear memory was of seeing the Tom Baker title sequence when UK Gold repeated the Tom Baker years for the first time (in early 1994).

I only became a fan of the show during the new series! It was probably after seeing 'The Unquiet Dead' that I realised that this was more than just another TV show.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,690
    Forum Member
    I think the earliest ones I could watch 'properly' were towards the end of Tom Baker's time, but I loved his portrayal of the Doctor so set about tracking down old episodes, and of course the Target books.

Even though so many of the earlier stories are lost, I could still 're-live' them through the novelisations (I ended up getting all stories for the first four Doctors that way.)

Some classics such as the Enemy of the World, both of the Yeti stories, and of course the Tenth Planet (I found an original run of that one for 10p in a charity shop and was thrilled) no longer existed as complete stories, only occaisional episodes, so at least by reading them I didn't miss out on any of the fun.

For anyone who's interested, the Lost in Time DVD has a lot of the 'orphaned' episodes on there, including all that's left of the final episode of Tenth Planet (Hartnell's regeneration scene). The quality of the restoration team's work has to be seen to be believed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    I remember this one really well, it was the first one I worked on. :D
    08April2005.jpg
    wheel_in_space3.jpg

Aitch,
    http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0276092
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The earliest story I can remember on it's original showing is the last Jon Pertwee one,Planet Of The Spiders
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can distinctly remember the 1st Jon Pertwee one - especially where the Dr is shot trying to get back to the tardis.
    I'm puzzled that I cant remember any Troughton ones - though I'd have only been 5 then and maybe my older sisters commandeered the TV at that time of the evening!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My very first TV memory is the Tom Baker/Peter Davison regeneration.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first TV memories are the Marshmen from Full Circle, and the Melkur from The Keeper of Traken. Both 1980, when I was 5.

My parents tell a story of when I was a baby: my dad sitting down to watch Dr Who on TV while feeding me a bottle. We were so engrossed in Dr Who that neither of us noticed the bottle leaking all over us. Further research has suggested this was during Genesis of the Daleks!

chuff.x.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    William Hartnell: Daleks, Menoptera and Cavemen. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I remember this one really well, it was the first one I worked on. :D
    08April2005.jpg
    wheel_in_space3.jpg

Aitch,
    http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0276092
    The cyberman stories from Troughton's era are amongst my all-time favourites (I loved the way he used to act all "scaredy-cat" around them.)

Aitch, am I right in thinking you were also in the Moonbase, or did I imagine reading that on your website?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ironjade wrote:
    William Hartnell: Daleks, Menoptera and Cavemen. :)

So you remember 'An Unearthly Child'? That had cavemen in it.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ollyd1985 wrote:
    So you remember 'An Unearthly Child'? That had cavemen in it.

It's hazy but I do remember it. At that age it was tricky ever to see all episodes of anything: parents always seemed to want to watch boring crap like news, sport or whatever was on ITV. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is of Tom Baker of the Doctor (the best in my opinion) and who I got to meet when I was little.... he even let me wear his scarf :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Talking about cavemen, this is from Blakes 7.. :D
    06June20036.jpg

Aitch,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,547
    Forum Member
    I have very vague memories of a Cyberman appearing from a manhole (The Invasion) and the Doctor and his assistants being menaced by a unicorn (The Mind Robber).

I know for a fact that I watched many episodes during the Troughton era but these are the only two memories I have of watching on their original transmission.

The next thing I remember is Autons. I started reading the Target books when I was younger and it was only really from Terrpr of the Autons onwards that the books reminded me of things I had seen on TV.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Spearhead From Space was the first one I remember clearly, although I have a very, very hazy recollection of the Yeti.

Aitch, I see you was in Star Wars, are you the guy who was hanging around outside the Empire Leicester Square on the day of the 6 movie marathon?

And, if you was in SW, how come you haven't been in Holby City? ;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Talking about cavemen, this is from Blakes 7.. :D
    06June20036.jpg

Aitch,
    Ah - going to meet the inlaws for afternoon tea, were you Aitch? :D
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a vague memory of a Patrick Troughton episode. The bit I remember is them in and underground tunnel or cave being attacked by a creature which I think is a Yeti/Abomnidable Snowman? Bear sized, covered in longish straggly hair?

I seem to recall the doctor destroying it with something round and shiny about the size of a football.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,547
    Forum Member
    DavidT? You're not...? No, surely not...? :)
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly not!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    Jo Grant - mini dress - red knickers - strategicaly placed object d'art when she sat cross-legged :o;)
  • Options
    Pacman1854Pacman1854 Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earliest Who memory.

There was a military group (UNIT) run by a guy called the Brigadier. They were helped by a white-haired chap with a police box.

Oh, and giant maggots.

From then I was hooked.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    Mine was the autons smashing out of the shop windows in 'Spearhead from Space'. I've always wondered if Kraftwerk's 'Showroom Dummies' was inspired by this scene.

After that it probably was the glowing skin in 'The Green Death'.
  • Options
    mozamoza Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My earliest Dr Who memory isn't even an episode.

Tom Baker came round one of our local bookshops doing a signing, and my brother and I got taken along.

I got jelly babies from Dr Who!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    Weren't you told not to accept sweets from strange men?!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote:
    Spearhead From Space was the first one I remember clearly, although I have a very, very hazy recollection of the Yeti.

Aitch, I see you was in Star Wars, are you the guy who was hanging around outside the Empire Leicester Square on the day of the 6 movie marathon?

And, if you was in SW, how come you haven't been in Holby City? ;):D

Holby City wouldn't let me in dressed like this :D:D
    Aitch on the right,

starwarstcganewhope-127.jpg

Aitch, :confused:
  • Options
    mozamoza Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muad'Dib wrote:
    Weren't you told not to accept sweets from strange men?!!!

Normally, but in this case my mother positively encouraged it!

It's fully, although I can remember watching Dr Who as a kid, I can remember Tom Baker's Doctor, and K9, the only episode I can remember enough to put a name to is Snakedance, and even then it's patchy.