Options

Spotify Alternatives?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could reccommend Spotify alternatives?

I find it annoying that there isnt a way to just browse the catalgue of music - unless I'm missing something?

Any reccommendations. It's just to use on the PC (I don't need access on my phone etc.)

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    I use Last FM which is brilliant. They have a huge library of music and at £3 a month can't be beat on price:D
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    How about Deezer, Grooveshark and We7 and I understand that all of them pay royalties to the artists concerned?

Spotify quite rightly came in for a lot of criticism when they made their controversial changes (i.e. sold out) and a lot of people have moved to other sites now. I'd rather that listeners went to other legitimate sites instead as opposed to torrents, file sharing, etc.
  • Options
    EbanEban Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Rdio is REALLY good. Been using it for a month now.

-Eban
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    It does annoy me that these services (or at least Rdio and Spotify) charge double for mobile. It is exactly the same music with, if anything, a slightly poorer application - a purely artificial distinction.

It'll be interesting to see how they deal with Windows 8 which will be a full-blown operating system on a (relatively) mobile device. I'm not sure how they'll differentiate then.
  • Options
    Gary BrentonGary Brenton Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use Last FM which is brilliant. They have a huge library of music and at £3 a month can't be beat on price:D

Last FM is good - well for their audio quality (probably one of the best sounding sites of this kind) but you cannot build a playlist of your own... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be too critical of services "selling out".

Here are both sides of the revenue story from the artist's perspective...

http://www.cultofmac.com/38097/infographic-most-artists-earn-more-revenue-through-itunes-than-at-retail/

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120622/16193319442/myth-dispensing-whole-spotify-barely-pays-artists-story-is-bunk.shtml

...of course, both can be true. Depends if you compare playing on Spotify with CD purchases or listening to the radio. IME it's somewhere between the two in our house.

The "see also" at the bottom of Spotify's wikipedia article is a magnet for other services...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotify

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've tried most of them out, and it seems like Grooveshark is my preffered one. :)
  • Options
    Gary BrentonGary Brenton Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Treble wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've tried most of them out, and it seems like Grooveshark is my preffered one. :)

Ewww.... not to my liking as such regards audio quality...but a nice site for random music on shuffle.

Have a listen to 'Led Zeppelin' - 'Trampled Underfoot'...it sounds like an old TDK D-90 tape...then listen to 'Frida' - 'I Know There's Something Going On'...very bass light and albeit sounds better than the Zeppelin track... with a touch more treble, the audio is still poor quality.

Having listened to futher tracks, every track sounds different, and at a different volume level.

It is similar to someone downloading tracks at different bit-rates with absolutely no concern for audio quality.

This is ok for someone who is un-fussed about audio quality and is ok through a pair of small cheap PC speakers... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    pzboyzpzboyz Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TuneIn

8tracks
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i use vtuner, it came with a subscription with my musicpal - which despite having a replacement knob still works. love scrolling through millions of stations or just randomly pawing at the buttons