Hollyoaks: Pete/Cleo dark twist coming up...{SPOILER)

2»

Comments

• Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its very confusing because there are a lot of variables not only worldwide but also within individual countries e.g. in the UK the age of consent (ie the age at which you can legally have sex) is 16 both for same sex and hetero couples. Once you are over 16 it is not a crime to have sex with another person of any age unless they are under 16 or if you are in a position of responsibility over that person i.e a teacher cannot have sex with a pupil under 18.
    You can also join the army or get married (with parental consent) at the age of 16 but you cannot vote until you are 18. You can drink wine or beer with a meal at 16 (if accompanied by an over 18) but you cannot drive a car until you are 17

Most of these laws are there because they made sense at the time but maybe they now need revising

I agree some of these laws need to be changed like in the US you at 18 you can vote, go to war and buy cigarettes but can't drink till you're 21. That makes no sense at all.
  • sderr123sderr123 Posts: 13,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree some of these laws need to be changed like in the US you at 18 you can vote, go to war and buy cigarettes but can't drink till you're 21. That makes no sense at all.

I think many people agree with you there. The reason for the higher drinking age was supposedly to do with increased traffic accidents. I think it might be better to raise the driving age by 1 year to 17 and have the drinking age be 18.
  • craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be slightly crude, I would assume ste and Harry would both be bottoms. Can't see that relationship working out :)

LOL. I do have to admit, I see absolutely no chemistry between them at all, and struggle to imagine them having passionate sex.....they're both a bit wet! The idea of Ste taking charge in the bedroom is actually laughable IMO. Throw in the HIV issue, the whole experience just screams AWKWARD to me!
  • sderr123sderr123 Posts: 13,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    craig_25 wrote: »
    LOL. I do have to admit, I see absolutely no chemistry between them at all, and struggle to imagine them having passionate sex.....they're both a bit wet! The idea of Ste taking charge in the bedroom is actually laughable IMO. Throw in the HIV issue, the whole experience just screams AWKWARD to me!

Yeah wouldn't it just be hotter to put these two with more appropriate partners? It sensationalism taken too far IMO. With age and HIV issue its just not realistic. Also it does send a bit of a mixed message with their storyline with Pete and Cleo going on at the same time.
  • fairyfruitcakefairyfruitcake Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sderr123 wrote: »
    I am not sure they need revising down though. Late adolescence is a period of time when a person is both physically and emotionally still developing. Its not just a state of mind it corresponds to biological reality. In U.S. state that increased the legal age to drive by just one year from 16 to 17 saw a decrease in accidents. Its legal where I live to marry at 16 but I don't know anyone who did. I live in a more socially complex world than my grandparents.

I agree, although I think it would be difficult to increase the age of consent. In fact there were moves to try to get it reduced to 15 yrs quite recentlyin the UK. I was interested to see that some countries have legality at 14 but only with a partner within 3 years of their age and that some have protection against various acts for under 18's.

There is such a wide range of age restrictions from country to country which must be historic
  • Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sderr123 wrote: »
    Yeah wouldn't it just be hotter to put these two with more appropriate partners? It sensationalism taken too far IMO. With age and HIV issue its just not realistic. Also it does send a bit of a mixed message with their storyline with Pete and Cleo going on at the same time.

Agreed, they should make Jason gay put him with Harry and bring back Brendan for Ste!
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    To be slightly crude, I would assume ste and Harry would both be bottoms. Can't see that relationship working out :)

Ste I can imagine is versatile, he was a bottom with Brendan (we know he has a MASSIVE tool), but I can imagine him top - a slim guy like that is usually equipped.
  • Dreamer27Dreamer27 Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    I had assumed they already had after the few scenes they've had together in her room.

I hope we get to see more of his relationship with Celine in time. It's interesting how he has used the girls vulnerabilities to weaken them, either pulling them into him or at least keep them under his control.
  • nickymongernickymonger Posts: 11,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do i detect a hint of jeolousy? because after all if you had any romantic feelings for a 17+ girl or boy, the state law forbids you from chasing your dreams and that itself is probably killing you inside, obviously myself i prefer a girl of my love interest to be at least 18.

'Harry has no memory of the 20th century' by that logic, an 24 year old should never date a 37 year old because the younger homo sapien was not around during the 80s.

Why is the poster being shouted down at because he thinks its weird. I also think it weird. Not illegal, but there is a big difference between the maturity of a 17 year old vs the maturity of a late twenties person which is why a majority of couples don't have large age gaps, and particularly when it is someone at school vs a man with children.

It is different when you talk of a 30 year old with a 40 year old as there is some life experience there. 17 year olds are still maturing and changing. Yes, Harry is sexually mature in that he is old enough to have children, but people of that age do most of their maturing/ experiencing life in their early twenties.

And this isn't an overly mature teen and immature late twenty...this is a man with man issues, including a history where he abused his partner, where he was abused by his partner (a local gangster), he is dealing with being HIV positive, he has recently had a child with his best friend and in a relationship with her, he was recently in a clinic for drug addiction and he is still married to John Paul. So whilst he may be old enough, I find that a lot for a 17 year old to take on board who hasn't had the life experience Ste has! So yes, I find it weird too. But I doubt it will be a long term relationship shown as them destined to be, so we'll probably see how wrong they are for each other leading him somehow back to John Paul for some emotional reunion.
  • nickymongernickymonger Posts: 11,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dreamer27 wrote: »
    I had assumed they already had after the few scenes they've had together in her room.

I hope we get to see more of his relationship with Celine in time. It's interesting how he has used the girls vulnerabilities to weaken them, either pulling them into him or at least keep them under his control.

Thats what I thought...especially as we see her now avoiding being alone with him.
  • craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is the poster being shouted down at because he thinks its weird. I also think it weird. Not illegal, but there is a big difference between the maturity of a 17 year old vs the maturity of a late twenties person which is why a majority of couples don't have large age gaps, and particularly when it is someone at school vs a man with children.

It is different when you talk of a 30 year old with a 40 year old as there is some life experience there. 17 year olds are still maturing and changing. Yes, Harry is sexually mature in that he is old enough to have children, but people of that age do most of their maturing/ experiencing life in their early twenties.

And this isn't an overly mature teen and immature late twenty...this is a man with man issues, including a history where he abused his partner, where he was abused by his partner (a local gangster), he is dealing with being HIV positive, he has recently had a child with his best friend and in a relationship with her, he was recently in a clinic for drug addiction and he is still married to John Paul. So whilst he may be old enough, I find that a lot for a 17 year old to take on board who hasn't had the life experience Ste has! So yes, I find it weird too. But I doubt it will be a long term relationship shown as them destined to be, so we'll probably see how wrong they are for each other leading him somehow back to John Paul for some emotional reunion.

Excellent post. Ste and all his baggage should send a young, good looking lad like Harry running for the hills.
  • Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is history between Cleo and Pete, so it looks like he abused her too, as well as Porsche, before her age of consent. Even if Cleo is at the age of consent now, it isn't right what is going on with her and Pete.