Options

Netflix, Lovefilm, etc. - souless and empty?

2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Don't you think television broadcasting has more to it than on demand services?

With tv you know there's always someone behind the scenes filming it, directing, producing, announcing, etc. There are people involved in ensuring the channels are displaying something at any time of the day.

But you could literally sit in front of your tv and download anything you want without having a "real" person be involved in whatever you end up watching. There's nobody there ensuring you see something.

Or maybe I'm looking too much into it!

Comments

• Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I'd much rather use the on demand service or torrents and watch something interesting than just watch 'whatever's on' which will nearly always be sh!te.
  • Options
    HazzaGrazzaHazzaGrazza Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny you mention it, but yes, just like watching a film on DVD.

I sometimes have trouble sleeping and have to put the TV on to help me nod off. It simply will not work if it is a dvd / netflix etc it has to be something on tv. It is the comfort of feeling there is other people there with me in the room.

That being said, any other time I will happily watch netflix / tv progs on the laptop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean.

One thing I really miss is the local video shop and the whole process of going there, browsing, choosing, and having another human being serve you. I was a video junkie as a kid in the 80s/90s and I get ridiculously nostalgic for that whole routine and atmosphere.

While I love having access to loads of cool stuff with the click of a mouse, it's just not as fun somehow.

I also miss when you used to get good films on TV, especially when it came to older cinema classics.
  • Options
    CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    Or maybe I'm looking too much into it!

Or is it that the TV moguls have designed programmes to make you think you have company, when in fact the programme was made 10 years ago, in Australia?
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I feel the same OP. It's probably silly but I really look forward to my programs being shown on a certain night and tuning in to them. My old housemate used to watch all her programs on her laptop at the American schedule but I don't like that at all. It just isn't the same.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the service that I receive from compaines such as Love Film and Netflix.

I only ever rarely visited video shops, it seemed too expensive and restrictive (2 nights for about £4 for new releases, and if you hand it in late you get further fees?!) On Love Film, I have a huge list of films I want to see too. Which is very handy, occaisionally, I take films off the list because I've seen them elsewhere too.

I think these services are a good addition to, rather than a replacement of, television or indeed buying dvd's too, though.
  • Options
    BatwingBatwing Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I'd much rather use the on demand service or torrents and watch something interesting than just watch 'whatever's on' which will nearly always be sh!te.

Torrents are illegal though.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Or is it that the TV moguls have designed programmes to make you think you have company, when in fact the programme was made 10 years ago, in Australia?

Maybe but I meant it's more about the engineers and producers and other people who are behind the scenes all the time, keeping the channels running, switching to adverts or running the next program, etc.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose the big advantage of broadcast TV is that you might stumble upon something that you wouldn't normally watch and find you enjoy it. Services such as LoveFilm tend to encourage you to watch your favourite types of films and programmes. Great for catering to existing tastes, but no so good for forming tastes.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Batwing wrote: »
    Torrents are illegal though.

No they are not.

Plenty of companies use torrents to distribute files.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with broadcast TV is that unless you got a PVr, you are set to the times they want you to watch. Makes no difference how films are shown, they still have producers and directors.

i have now been without broadcast T.v since January and only use Netflix for on demand and lovefilm for Blu-rays. I don't miss TV at all, I don't miss the annoying adverts, the annoying presenters going on for 10 mins or more telling us what is content is coming on their other channels.

I timed BBC one once and it was 8 minutes of their own adverts, telling us what is coming on their channels, on the radio and other self promotion.

I was paying £145 a year for that, glad I am away from it.
  • Options
    CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe but I meant it's more about the engineers and producers and other people who are behind the scenes all the time, keeping the channels running, switching to adverts or running the next program, etc.

Not sure it's such a distinction.

Presumably Netflix et al have engineers - just web ones, not TV ones.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always imagined a lot of sattellite channels were similar. Everything is automated and someone just pops in every once in a while to load new stuff on and make sure everything is still running!
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was something heart-warming about getting the Christmas TV and Radio Times when I was a kid just to see the film premieres many of which would be the first time I saw the film.

Of course that was the days before videos.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I usually only watch big events on tv like the Euros, World Cup, French Open, Wimbledon etc... I like watching live tv and posting on the forums about it. Or comedies. I will watch the occasional war or science/ astronomy documentary too.

I find most tv is bad though and tend to just play xbox or watch films instead.
  • Options
    555555 Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sooner broadcast TV turns into video on demand, the better.

I just want a menu of all programmes released in the UK and USA, to play at my leisure.

Announcers, readers, etc are not required. The TV news and weather are also things I'd like to eliminate. The internet and smartphone apps provide these services in a much more detailed and efficient way. :)

Unfortunately video on demand has some way to go. I tried Lovefilm and Netflix on demand, and the picture and sound quality are dreadfully abominable.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Watching TV shows when they are broadcast allows you to discuss them further with friends, family, workmates, etc, the following day and you can discuss what might happen next, etc.

It's not the same discussing something that someone might have watched months ago or won't see for a long time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    There is something special about a TV show being on at a particular time. Maybe it's nostalgia.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I timed BBC one once and it was 8 minutes of their own adverts, telling us what is coming on their channels, on the radio and other self promotion.
    Over what timescale? Eight minutes in an hour seems unlikely for BBC One unless there were several short programmes which each had promos before and after.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Nyota wrote: »
    I know what you mean.

One thing I really miss is the local video shop and the whole process of going there, browsing, choosing, and having another human being serve you. I was a video junkie as a kid in the 80s/90s and I get ridiculously nostalgic for that whole routine and atmosphere.

While I love having access to loads of cool stuff with the click of a mouse, it's just not as fun somehow.

I also miss when you used to get good films on TV, especially when it came to older cinema classics.

When VHS videos went out of fashion, they switched to DVDs but then more broadband internet started killing off the stores with their high overheads.

You used to be able to go out on an evening, hire out a DVD, get a pizza and go home and watch the DVD with friends - all disrupted now. :cry:
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I pay for netflix and lovefilm but rarely use them as there is little on I either haven't seen or I want to see.

With freeview there is usually something I can watch if I feel a need to sit down and watch TV, I'm a fan of documentaries and factual programmes so TV is still the clear winner for me. £3 a week for the beeb is superb value for money in my humble opinion.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    I pay for netflix and lovefilm but rarely use them as there is little on I either haven't seen or I want to see.

With freeview there is usually something I can watch if I feel a need to sit down and watch TV, I'm a fan of documentaries and factual programmes so TV is still the clear winner for me. £3 a week for the beeb is superb value for money in my humble opinion.

I've not used those services because they don't seem to do pay per film so I use Blinkbox and Film4OD looks OK too but I've yet to try that one.
  • Options
    mincepiemincepie Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm sure they are still a fair few people working - big website don't run them selves - just they are now web programmers, data centre geeks and the like.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not used those services because they don't seem to do pay per film so I use Blinkbox and Film4OD looks OK too but I've yet to try that one.

http://www.filmon.com is not bad, free or pay subscription, they broadcast a lot but not all the freeview channels, handy if your abroad as tvcatchup blocks non UK and the free subscription gives access to some old 'B' movies and other old junk which at times is nice to watch.
  • Options
    BatwingBatwing Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they are not.

Plenty of companies use torrents to distribute files.

The torrent downloading we all know that goes on is illegal.