Emulators

STeelySTeely Posts: 329
Forum Member
So do you use them?
Do you play games on them?

ive been playing Speedball 2 on an Amiga one , plus a few snes classics on a snes one , got a mega drive one plus mame and a few others.

Comments

• scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    I was playing super tetris 3 on my htc one s today using super gnes.
  • soransoran Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mainly play MAME, as I downloaded most of the Roms around 12 years ago when mame.dk still existed. My Rom folder has 3257 games in it, and I usually have a dozen or so transferred to my phone at any one time where they run great on Mame4Droid. One day I will build a MAME cabinet.

I still have a working Amiga a1200 with hard drive that I still fire up now and again for my Amiga games.

Also although not an emulator, if you played Elite back in the day, then there is a free remake here:
    http://www.oolite.org/about
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    To be honest, I am done with emulators. They are truly the bane of my life and an eater of productive time, but not in a good way. I spend more time trying to get them to run, twatting about looking for plugins, config files, BIOS files, tweaking settings, trying to get them to recognise a joypad than I do actually playing the games. All this is before you even get to a) the legality of it, and b) actually finding some games.

Life's too short. Sod all this shit, I'm sticking SSFIV:AE into the PS3 and actually having some fun with a game, rather than spending any more dead days of my life trying to get the emulators to run in a vain attempt to hold on to the past, which is getting ever further away from me as I get older anyway. I need to move on from this bollocks.

And yes, I have spent a morning off work faffing about with ePSXe and it's multifarious god-damned plugins trying to get it to work. It won't. A waste of several hours when I could be enjoying the weather and/or my PS3. :mad:
  • Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use SNES and PSone emulators to play games that weren't released in this country (mainly RPGs) and a N64 one as well, as I gave my console away years ago.

I've never had too many problems with them, although my controller is a really cheap shitty one that sometimes causes the controls to go funny when I'm playing (normally it gets stuck on 'left' - i.e. the game reacts as if i'm holding down left on the contoller even when I'm not).

And I'm ashamed to say I fell for the April Fools joke that someone kindly built into ZSNES :o:o:o

Whenever I see second-hand older games for sale at ludicrous prices, I always feel sorry for anyone who ends up buying them without realising they could get them for free if they didn't care about not having the instruction book, or re-selling etc. For example, Suikoden 2 on the playstation rarely sells for under £70 - there's no way I would pay that for a second-hand game no matter how rare it is!
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kal_El wrote: »
    To be honest, I am done with emulators. They are truly the bane of my life and an eater of productive time, but not in a good way. I spend more time trying to get them to run, twatting about looking for plugins, config files, BIOS files, tweaking settings, trying to get them to recognise a joypad than I do actually playing the games. All this is before you even get to a) the legality of it, and b) actually finding some games.

Life's too short. Sod all this shit, I'm sticking SSFIV:AE into the PS3 and actually having some fun with a game, rather than spending any more dead days of my life trying to get the emulators to run in a vain attempt to hold on to the past, which is getting ever further away from me as I get older anyway. I need to move on from this bollocks.

And yes, I have spent a morning off work faffing about with ePSXe and it's multifarious god-damned plugins trying to get it to work. It won't. A waste of several hours when I could be enjoying the weather and/or my PS3. :mad:

Something must be up with your computer/laptop then because I play ePSXe fine enough with plenty of games. All you need is the program from the website and some bios's(of which you can procure easy enough but lets not talk about that :P). Just get the roms of something like emuparadise, try to get the USA versions if you can, as they are more likely to work than the PAL/EU versions.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Kal_El wrote: »

Haha, I could literally feel the hate behind that, very nice! This is why console emulation is so good, very simple, no messing about and as close to the original thing as possible.

I do use emulation myself, mostly Amiga, C64 and Mega Drive and Arcade. I do have a lot of other emulators though but these are what I mainly play, Wii has the best Mega Drive emulator I've ever used (GenPlus GX), it's ridiculously authentic and nothing beats playing NES on Wii via the Wiimote (the best wireless NES pad ever!). I use a Saturn mk2 controller for Arcade emulation via Final Burn on Xbox.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, i love my emulators for my PSP. I have Mega Drive, Master System, NES, SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advance and Game Gear emulators for my PSP :D
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is the PS2 emulator coming along ? i tried it once but gave up on it because of how bad pretty much every game lagged.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Haha, I could literally feel the hate behind that, very nice! This is why console emulation is so good, very simple, no messing about and as close to the original thing as possible.

I do use emulation myself, mostly Amiga, C64 and Mega Drive and Arcade. I do have a lot of other emulators though but these are what I mainly play, Wii has the best Mega Drive emulator I've ever used (GenPlus GX), it's ridiculously authentic and nothing beats playing NES on Wii via the Wiimote (the best wireless NES pad ever!). I use a Saturn mk2 controller for Arcade emulation via Final Burn on Xbox.

There. I'm better now. :D

I have never tried emulating consoles on other consoles, and perhaps I should. The experience on PC is often so frustrating that it eventually gets me like this. I've tried so many in recent times that just require so much work from the end user to get it going. I prefer the SNES and MD emulation, where you just fire up the emu, point it at your roms, and off you go. Trying to run ePSXe was a massive pain in the ass, but I will add I'm using the Linux version. I know, square pegs, round holes... :D
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since moving to a newer version of MAME (0.139) a lot of my old ROM files no longer work.
    I am having to go back and download them again.

It's very time consuming as I have about 150 that are my favourites.