Remake of Total recall

noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What is it with the film industry, have they ran out of ideas? Remake after flipping remake over the last 4 years or so.

Total recall was not the best film to start with the be honest, no doubt they will have all new effects, make sure that they get brand names in the film, lots of product placement.

it is sad that even the U.s film industry is dying.

Comments

• Dunce-2007Dunce-2007 Posts: 6,452
    Forum Member
    I don't know who can replace Arnie but good luck to them.

Same thing with the upcoming Robocop remake, Cgi can't replace Peter Weller.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the original, having said that, I would also welcome a more elegant version.
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know, they have shelved the new Robocop movie for now.
    The new Total Recall will stink like every other remake has lately.
    Is it not more of a reimagining of the Philip K Dick story anyway , rather than a remake of the 1990 adaptation?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the original. Classic Arnie SF action.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dunce-2007 wrote: »
    I don't know who can replace Arnie but good luck to them.

Same thing with the upcoming Robocop remake, Cgi can't replace Peter Weller.

True, but any half decent actor could. Robocop isn't exactly a difficult role to play.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know, they have shelved the new Robocop movie for now.
    The new Total Recall will stink like every other remake has lately.
    Is it not more of a reimagining of the Philip K Dick story anyway , rather than a remake of the 1990 adaptation?

Normally do, they just stick a load of special effects in it and think that will do.

War of the worlds was like that, the original was great, the newer version to be honest was all effects.

robocop was another film that was okish but not fantastic, so why do a remake?
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Let's hope so. Originally, David Cronenberg showed interest in filming Total Recall, but that was before it was fashioned into an Arnie action thriller. It wouldn't be impossible to realise the story from a different angle
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would have thought after Inception has made 700 million dollars worldwide (probably more now that it is released on DVD/Blue-ray), that the Hollywood Studio system would have realised that we the public love original ideas.... But nope... Yet more mindless shitty remakes and Transformers movies... Blagh.
  • ShaiyaShaiya Posts: 3,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    But nope... Yet more mindless shitty remakes and Transformers movies... Blagh.

LOL :D
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So many Dick stories not filmed at all. Missed opportunities.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's hope so. Originally, David Cronenberg showed interest in filming Total Recall, but that was before it was fashioned into an Arnie action thriller. It wouldn't be impossible to realise the story from a different angle

Precisely. Seeing as the Arnie film was a not very good adaptation of a novel (great film, bad adaptation), a 'remake' is more than welcome.

Why do so many people think that a new version of something that's already been filmed must be a remake of the previous version? Gus Van Sant's Psycho was a remake of the Hitchcock film of the same name. Tim Burton's Planet Of The Apes was a new version of the novel, not a remake of the Charlton Heston film. Same goes with Let Me In, which got so many people's knickers in a twist for some reason.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Precisely. Seeing as the Arnie film was a not very good adaptation of a novel (great film, bad adaptation), a 'remake' is more than welcome.

Why do so many people think that a new version of something that's already been filmed must be a remake of the previous version? Gus Van Sant's Psycho was a remake of the Hitchcock film of the same name. Tim Burton's Planet Of The Apes was a new version of the novel, not a remake of the Charlton Heston film. Same goes with Let Me In, which got so many people's knickers in a twist for some reason.

Because at the end of the day it still follows the same story line, you look at say the newer version of War of the worlds and you know the story, aliens come to earth, kill people, aliens die because they could not cope with the bugs on earth.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Because at the end of the day it still follows the same story line, you look at say the newer version of War of the worlds and you know the story, aliens come to earth, kill people, aliens die because they could not cope with the bugs on earth.
    Okay, but it's still a question of how it's done. We had three very good interpretations of Jack Finney's The Body Snatchers (1956, '78, '93) until the recent Kidman/Craig mess-up, all bringing a different slant in theme and setting. I don't think familiarity with ideas/plot points is the problem at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    Hmmm, I quite like the sound of this!

Really loved this film growing up, so hopefully if done right, it could be awesome!
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I love Total Recall - great Arnie movie :) Don't know why theyre remaking it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    "Consider dat a devorwce!"
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lynxmale wrote: »
    "Consider dat a devorwce!"

Ha ha :D

So many lines in it to quote...

"Man, I got five kids to feed!"

"I thought you had six?"

"Shit, man... I ain't even married"

"See you at the party, Richter!"

"Man, I wish I had THREE hands!"
  • 5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Open your mind", actually in this instance I'll keep mine shut, no need to remake Total Recall, it's a great movie and still looks pretty good today (I have in on Blu Ray).
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading today's news Colin Farrell is confirmed to be the lead in the remake. Directed by Len Wiseman? Ouch!!!! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why? This is one of my favourite films, Arnie did a good job the first time round why are they remaking it?

I don't think I've watched one of these remakes yet and I don't feel the need to since I've already seen the original.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    What is it with the film industry, have they ran out of ideas? Remake after flipping remake over the last 4 years or so.

Total recall was not the best film to start with the be honest, no doubt they will have all new effects, make sure that they get brand names in the film, lots of product placement.

it is sad that even the U.s film industry is dying.

Maybe what they should do is make another version of 'We can sell you your dreams wholesale'
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the new version adheres closely to Dick's original story, rather than being reworked into a tailor-made action movie like the original, then I would welcome it.

The essence of Dick's originaly story was severely diluted in order to fashion a big, dumb, effects-laden, crowd-pleaser, with Schwarzenegger completely miscast as the musclebound 'hero' of the piece.

I have never considered the original a classic. I don't hate it, for what it is it's reasonably enjoyable. But it is far from a successful and accurate realisation of Dick's original story.

The scene in which the Rekall executuve goes to Arnie's apartment, and tries to persuade him that he is actually in a dream showed the potential for something much more interesting.

That's what I wanted the film to be...not silly women with three boobs, various limbs being hacked off and silly pastic heads with bulging eyes.
  • justpootlingjustpootling Posts: 3,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Reading today's news Colin Farrell is confirmed to be the lead in the remake. Directed by Len Wiseman? Ouch!!!! :D

With Len "PG-13" Wiseman at the helm, this should be a great kiddie flick for the summer holidays next year. :rolleyes:
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    The part where the doctor tries to tell him to take the red pill and says he's dreaming anticipated The Matrix big time.
    I love the movie, classic Arnie action and quite smart for an action movie.
    Wasnt there supposed to be a Total Recall 2 but it became Minority Report instead?
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No really talented director would be interested in a remake and a really talented director is need for sci-fi/fantasy, it's a tough genre. So any remake is guaranteed to be a 3D piece of junk.