Options

Game of Thrones - Season 5 (contains book spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    To be honest, bar LSH, I don't think any of these cuts are particularly worrisome. They know the ending and are working towards it. How they get there might be different, but the end result will be the same. If someone has been cut then it's not unreasonable to assume that they simply don't have a particularly large impact on the ending. Also, all of those characters you named (excluding the aforementioned exception, obviously) are exceptionally minor, so any impact they do have on the endgame could be easily replicated with someone else.

Personally I'm glad Young Griff has been cut, at least (if he's been cut that is). I found his experience to be such an ass-pull. :p
    I disagree with you.
    Not every character that appears has to have a big impact on the endgame.
    Take Wyman Manderly for example. While he probably isn't important in the grand scheme of things, his "The North Remembers" speech was one of the best scenes in ADWD and it would've been awesome to see that transferred to the screen. That and his special "pies" that he serves to the Boltons and Freys at Ramsay ' s wedding...
  • Options
    TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    I disagree with you.
    Not every character that appears has to have a big impact on the endgame.
    Take Wyman Manderly for example. While he probably isn't important in the grand scheme of things, his "The North Remembers" speech was one of the best scenes in ADWD and it would've been awesome to see that transferred to the screen. That and his special "pies" that he serves to the Boltons and Freys at Ramsay ' s wedding...
    BIB: which is why he's probably been cut. They have very limited time to tell this massive story and while they might not manage that time perfectly (I would never argue that all of their changes are good, far from it), superfluous storylines need to go. :p
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB: which is why he's probably been cut. They have very limited time to tell this massive story and while they might not manage that time perfectly (I would never argue that all of their changes are good, far from it), superfluous storylines need to go. :p

They did have one of Manderly's sons at the Red Wedding, not named and with no lines, but the actor/extra was cast as that specific part.

So they have thought about including the Manderly storyline but it remains to be seen if they do or not.

Personally I can see his role being given to someone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but that is my point. Characters who might not be important in the grand scheme of things can still be interesting.
    Yet, instead they cut characters like Wyman Manderly while casting characters like Fat Walda Frey who has, as of yet in the books, done/said pretty much nothing. And I doubt she's going to have an important impact on the ending.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    What is the return date for the next season????
  • Options
    squacksquack Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the return date for the next season????

April 13th, 9PM, Sky Atlantic.

I'd guess that it's on HBO on the 12th.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, but that is my point. Characters who might not be important in the grand scheme of things can still be interesting.
    Yet, instead they cut characters like Wyman Manderly while casting characters like Fat Walda Frey who has, as of yet in the books, done/said pretty much nothing. And I doubt she's going to have an important impact on the ending.
    Fat Walda is a bad comparison here because she doesn't have her own storyline like Wyman Manderly does. She's just background decoration for the Boltons and won't chew into screentime that could potentially go to a more important storyline.

To be honest, I never really got the fuss over the Manderly storyline :p I always found Davos such a bore (although a lovely man) and I have 0 investment in Rickon, so the chapter in ADWD that everyone raves about never even stood out on my radar. But it is popular, so I know lots of people will be annoyed if it is cut. Personally I'm more annoyed about LSH, but it's the exact same deal with her: her character and storyline might be interesting, but if they don't have the time to dedicate valuable screentime to her and she's irrelevant to the endgame then I can see why she'd have to go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    On social media all the fans seem to be going on about is LSH. Will the writers pander to this overwhelming craving the fans seem to have for LSH, or will they stick to their guns and leave that arc out altogether? The sheer volume of people pissed off about it on twitter is something even D&D can't ignore, surely?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be totally pissed off if LSH is cut.
    However, the season 4 finale was a perfect time to introduce her so it does seem that they're not going with the character and will give her storyline to Santa. Which I will hate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Giving it to Sansa would be awful and would not be a change that I could support. But I'm skeptical. I read something a few days ago that speculated that from the trailer, the clip where
    Sansa can be seen taking a bath takes place in Winterfell and the clip of her with Littlefinger out on the moors looks like it's in the North. If so, then I think the likelihood of her going on a revenge spree is slim, short of ridding Winterfell of the Boltons and retaking it for House Stark.

Sansa being in Winterfell also opens up the possibility of her replacing Fake Arya, though. That would be an offensively bad change IMO. Sansa is one of the 6 main characters with her own arc, if they're going to play out another character's arc through her, at least LSH is a semi-major, consequential character.
  • Options
    anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With so much going on in Season 5 I'm hoping they're keeping LSH, the Greyjoy's and Fakey Aegy for Series 6. Sadly, though, if the rumours are true and D&D are going for just 7 seasons then it's a bit late to be bringing in new storylines. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With so much going on in Season 5 I'm hoping they're keeping LSH, the Greyjoy's and Fakey Aegy for Series 6. Sadly, though, if the rumours are true and D&D are going for just 7 seasons then it's a bit late to be bringing in new storylines. :(

I hate the fact they seem to have cut all the Greyjoy stuff. I would love to see characters like Euron and Victarion on screen.
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is time passing much quicker on screen then in the books (sorry not read them). So for example it was years that Sansa spent at Kings Landing and Bran is meant to be older than he was in series 1 (he looks so much older of course because the actor is growing older - I dread to think how different he will be in season 6).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    Is time passing much quicker on screen then in the books (sorry not read them). So for example it was years that Sansa spent at Kings Landing and Bran is meant to be older than he was in series 1 (he looks so much older of course because the actor is growing older - I dread to think how different he will be in season 6).

At this point in the books about 2 years have passed for most (some stories are further ahead) characters IIRC.

It's a little hard to work out how long things have been in the show as they have on occasion messed up people's ages and how much time passes.

Season 1 (and book 1) took place over about 10 - 12 months, later seasons were probably not so long (though there is also the gap between some seasons to add in).

As I said though there seems to be some contradictions in what has been said on screen.

For example (I'm doing this from memory so it might not be totally accurate) Jaime is said to be 40 years old at the start of Season 4 but his age in Season 1 can be worked out to be 36 (from stuff Cersei says) so it would seem at least three and a bit years have passed. However Sansa is 14 in Season 1 and only 15 in Season 3 which would suggest a further two years pass between Season 3 and the start of season 4 which given other events is unlikely.

I'm sure someone somewhere (probably Westeros.org) has worked out a show timeline, I'll have a look when I get the chance.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I came quite late to this and have only recently finished reading the books. Here's a tip for anyone who hasn't yet read books 4 & 5.

Since the events in AFFC and about the first half of ADWD take place at the same time, they're really one very long book. So I decided to read them together. There is a recommended reading order which works very well. It means that you don't lose touch with any characters for a whole book.

Someone has kindly uploaded all the chapters in this order somewhere on the internet. I didn't feel too guilty about downloading it to my tablet, as I had already bought the books.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I came quite late to this and have only recently finished reading the books. Here's a tip for anyone who hasn't yet read books 4 & 5.

Since the events in AFFC and about the first half of ADWD take place at the same time, they're really one very long book. So I decided to read them together. There is a recommended reading order which works very well. It means that you don't lose touch with any characters for a whole book.

Someone has kindly uploaded all the chapters in this order somewhere on the internet. I didn't feel too guilty about downloading it to my tablet, as I had already bought the books.
    I wish I'd read the last two books this way; while I was reading ADWD, I found myself forgetting what the likes of Jaime, Brienne and Cersei were up to so I had to go back and glance at their chapters from time to time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish I'd read the last two books this way; while I was reading ADWD, I found myself forgetting what the likes of Jaime, Brienne and Cersei were up to so I had to go back and glance at their chapters from time to time.

Yes, it's easier to follow, and the TV show will handle the story this way. Looking forward to the next series!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Titles of the first three episodes of the season.
    Episode 501: “The Wars to Come”

Episode 502: “The House of Black and White”

Episode 503: “High Sparrow”
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Titles of the first three episodes of the season.
    Episode 501: “The Wars to Come”

Episode 502: “The House of Black and White”

Episode 503: “High Sparrow”

Episode 2 and episode 3 titles both make me so excited :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding the title for ep 3 - is this the first time an episode has been named after a character?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding the title for ep 3 - is this the first time an episode has been named after a character?

It's a title rather than a name and there's been a few like that.

Lord Snow.
    The Prince of Winterfell
    Mhysa

Baelor is I think the only episode to actually use a persons name (even if that person has been dead for centuries) for it's title.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm gathering that
    Ellaria has taken on the role of Arianne. I'm ok with that. I liked Ellaria a lot, and I never really got the fascination with Arianne.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm gathering that
    Ellaria has taken on the role of Arianne. I'm ok with that. I liked Ellaria a lot, and I never really got the fascination with Arianne.

So would that mean that
    Quentyn is the heir to Dorne IF he's included. If they also cut Quentyn out then it would be Trystane, in which case Myrcella's position would become even more significant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So would that mean that
    Quentyn is the heir to Dorne IF he's included. If they also cut Quentyn out then it would be Trystane, in which case Myrcella's position would become even more significant.
    Quentyn has been cut (thankfully, what a waste of a POV). When Trystane's casting was announced his character was described as the heir to Dorne