Doctor Who/ Torchwood timeline crossover

somerset foxsomerset fox Posts: 728
Forum Member
✭✭
I was rewatching LOTTL the other day and 'Martha' says something to the effect that it's only been four days on Earth since meeting the Dr in 'Smith & Jones' and 'LOTTL' , but obviously weeks or months that she's been away. This seems a very sort time, and got me thinking how this fitted in with the 'Lazarus' episode. Did this take place between those four days, and if so, how did her sister, Tish, get a job first with Lazarus andthen a couple of days later,with the PM!

Also, when did the Torchwood 'End of Days' take place in relation to the WHO universe? How long was Jack gone and when were 'Jacks gang' sent to the Himalayas? I need to get out more!!

Comments

• Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    I was rewatching LOTTL the other day and 'Martha' says something to the effect that it's only been four days on Earth since meeting the Dr in 'Smith & Jones' and 'LOTTL' , but obviously weeks or months that she's been away. This seems a very sort time, and got me thinking how this fitted in with the 'Lazarus' episode. Did this take place between those four days, and if so, how did her sister, Tish, get a job first with Lazarus and then a couple of days later,with the PM!

Also, when did the Torchwood 'End of Days' take place in relation to the WHO universe? How long was Jack gone and when were 'Jacks gang' sent to the Himalayas? I need to get out more!!

3 episodes, all take place on the same day. 42, SOD and LOTTL. Lazarus experiment was the day after she met the doctor etc. Your forgetting, they can time travel. They can leave for a year and return the same day.
  • trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did this take place between those four days, and if so, how did her sister, Tish, get a job first with Lazarus andthen a couple of days later,with the PM!

Because she was employed in both jobs by Saxon, who knew that she was Martha Jones' sister.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

End of Days takes place in Feburary 2008 (or possibly late Janurary)

The Wikipedia DW timeline states the Election storyline takes place in October 2008 (mainly down to a Calendar seen in one scene).

This would mean that Jack was missing for 7 - 8 months.

Personally I think it's more likely that the Election was in April/May 2008 which means Jack was missing for 3 months at most.*

As to the Torchwood team being sent on a wild Yeti chase, it depends on why the Master did so.

If it was only to stop Jack getting backup then he probably did not send them until he knew the Doctor, Jack and Martha had arrived in 2008.

If on the otherhand he felt that Torchwood with their advanced alien computers could do something to disrupt the Archangel Network when it was used to win him the Election he probably got rid of them long before Election day.

*Even that may be too long as their are Vote Saxon posters seen in TW episode CJH which usually would not be up months before an Election. These could be explained by saying the Saxon party were running in a Cardiff by-Election some months before the General Election.
  • trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, the Master probably sent Torchwood off to the Himalayas just for a laugh. Let's face it, they're not really much threat by themselves, are they? What would they do? Turn up, see he's nasty, bicker, betray each other then all end up in bed together while he takes over the world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    trollface wrote: »
    To be honest, the Master probably sent Torchwood off to the Himalayas just for a laugh. Let's face it, they're not really much threat by themselves, are they? What would they do? Turn up, see he's nasty, bicker, betray each other then all end up in bed together while he takes over the world.
    snicker, though very true.
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Of course, you also have to ask why the Doctor chose to take Martha backwards in her own timeline to the rift in Cardiff to refuel. Surely that is just asking for trouble! Why not take her there in her present time?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Of course, you also have to ask why the Doctor chose to take Martha backwards in her own timeline to the rift in Cardiff to refuel. Surely that is just asking for trouble! Why not take her there in her present time?

He never took her backwards on her own timeline he took her there in present time

Remember even though in real time Torchwood was aired before Doctor Who, in Doctor Who time they happened alongside each other if that makes sense. Because both shows were probably shot at the same time in the studios, it'll be the same for series two of Torchwood airing before series four of Doctor Who when the timelines will be right alongside each other in order to make Martha's transfer from Torchwood to Doctor Who make sense

I hope this all makes sense lol
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    No, he DID take Martha backwards in her own timeline. "Smith and Jones" is supposed to be set in October 2008. The scene in "Utopia" is Feb 2008, fitting in with Torchwood's "End of Days", unless you're saying it took Jack 8 months to leave the hub and get up to Roald Dahl Plas?