Did you pass your driving test first time?

Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have my first attempt booked for a few weeks from now and I am truly crapping myself at the thought of doing it. I am just about getting my head around the reversing around the corner and parallel parking after many lessons attempting both numerous times. I think these two are the only parts I am worried about being asked to do everything else I am fine.

If I fail I will be pretty gutted + pissed off as its £62 down the pan.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I passed first time. Did my first lesson on the Monday, and the test on the Friday.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - only one in my family.

Surprised everyone, including my instructor, and myself.
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I passed first time. Did my first lesson on the Monday, and the test on the Friday.

Was that the intensive course? bugger doing that. Stressmania
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes to my surprise. I'm female :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Not really intensive as such. I did an hour a day Mon-Thurs and my test on the Friday morning. It probably helped that I had held a full motorbike licence for the seven years prior though.

My OH passed first time with less minor faults than myself.
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really intensive as such. I did an hour a day Mon-Thurs and my test on the Friday morning. It probably helped that I had held a full motorbike licence for the seven years prior though.

My OH passed first time with less minor faults than myself.

Thats really impressive well done.
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yep first time.

Don't know how, I had an hour lesson just before test. Not a lesson as such but just driving. During this drive I stalled twice, ran a red light. So instructor said I was too stressed out and we decided she'd drive car and I could calm down.

So she drives us to test centre. I go in, get my examiner. I got in the car and pulled out and suddenly realised that I hadn't adjusted the seat from instructors position. I could only see a tiny part using the mirrors.

Anyway I thought by then I had failed so became more relaxed. Was shocked when he said I'd passed.
  • Scarlett FeverScarlett Fever Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I (smug) passed my first Motorcycle test (when it was part one and part 2) and my second one and my car test all first time
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Yep and I had my areas chief examiner who only does a couple of tests a month.

Nobody was more surprised than me. I thought I'd failed within thirty seconds (I went straight from the test center into a parallel park, although looking back, getting the maneuver out of the way early meant I stopped worrying about what it would be and just drove)
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yup think i had 4 minors though.
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes (back in 1978).
  • Fancy pantsFancy pants Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Third time lucky for me!
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, with zero faults.

Neither me nor my instructor could quite believe it, but the examiner didn't really bat an eyelid.
  • Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

same with me - at that time it was not possible to book a single driving lesson on the day of the test so I was forced to block book one hour per day for that week.

My parents were wardens of a Caravan park so I learned to drive there and when I was older was able to get out driving on roads with a person who held a full driving license but I did not want to show up in a private car just in case it went against me.

On my first lesson the instructor told me I should have saved my money and just used a private car so it was clear to him I had lots of driving experience.

this is long before they changed the test to what it is now .

so was it only one lesson per day you had ?
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Yes. Same for the bike test as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I did.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Passed my bike test first time around.

Took a few driving lessons with BSM and was entered for my car test but failed it first time around.
    After that I did one of those 3 day intensive courses, took my test and passed 2nd time.

With hindsight, I was hopelessly unprepared the first time I took my car test. I dunno why BSM decided to put me in for it.
    There was heaps of stuff that I just didn't have even the most basic clue about.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Passed first time. I was that good, the examiner suspected I was a ringer. ;-)
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, at 17. Drove 3 times. Crashed twice. Gave up.

I let the licence lapse years ago.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Yeah it was a piece of cake.
  • Oliver_UstinovOliver_Ustinov Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It took my brother 5 times before he passed, and he has had a couple of accidents already! :rolleyes::D
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I had 9 lessons and a mock exam. My instructor said I have the option to take my test but he wouldn't recommend it but that it was my money and he didn't think I was dangerous.

So I took the test and passed :cool:

No crappy theory test in those days either. I think I caught the examiner on a good day as the test lasted about 20 minutes and I got some of the highway code questions wrong. He just said to brush up on it and then said congratulations :D
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    I did

Im such a smug bugger :D
  • metal boxmetal box Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No not first... 6th :blush:

In my defence though, there was only 10 months in between me looking out the window and deciding i would actually quite like to drive, to passing my test and driving the kids on holiday.

8 years later and still amazed :)
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the examiner looks at you and doesn't like you they won't pass you. Simple as.