Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a question about the timeline of S6. They get married immediately. Somewhere, we learned that they had been living together for about 3 months before their wedding -- or I am imagining this? Is it because we learned explictly that JH was 6 mo. old, and we think he was 3 months at the end of S5? He couldn't have been much older than that as DM was going to stay for a week, after he was born and AJ died, then another week, then 2 more months and then he was on the verge of leaving for London.

But the previous discussion about Mrs. Tishell reminded me that it is in E2 that Bert first meets Jenny, the replacement chemist -- and that is a couple of weeks further on than the wedding.

But I can't reconstruct the conversation when Bert and Jenny meet. Had the village been without a chemist for 3.5 months? And when Mrs. T. returns, it's another couple of weeks. That's a long time to head off to Wadebridge for parametecol, etc. And 4 months is a long, long time for someone to recover from a psychotic episode, and to be without livelihood, etc. etc.

I had thought at the end of S5 that her story was done and we wouldn't see her again -- but they brought her back in this kind of lame way and then didn't treat her character very kindly at all. I didn't like what happened to her -- she was more of a caricature in S6 than in S5.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know that we've ever tried to fit the ring on his right hand into the DM persona. We know why the actor wears it there and I think that has been good enough for us at least in the last couple years I've been on this forum. We do know MC has done the same in other productions, so it is him, not the character. Which frankly, I found to be lovely that he doesn't want to take the ring off completely.

I started out trying to read all the threads and finally gave up when I joined some Facebook DM groups, too. Not enough time in my day. So if you manage it, I say hurray for you, job well done!

I have what I think is a good idea. The right handed wedding band is such a loving gesture in honor of his marriage to Phil....let's not put any story or other background on it! It is the wonderful Martin Clunes wearing his real wedding ring on his right hand while he works. End of story. Let it be what it is without attributing ANY backstory. I'm with Susie....it's how he loves and respects his wife.....period
  • Options
    earlgrey152earlgrey152 Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    But I can't reconstruct the conversation when Bert and Jenny meet. Had the village been without a chemist for 3.5 months? And when Mrs. T. returns, it's another couple of weeks. That's a long time to head off to Wadebridge for parametecol, etc. And 4 months is a long, long time for someone to recover from a psychotic episode, and to be without livelihood, etc. etc.

I had thought at the end of S5 that her story was done and we wouldn't see her again -- but they brought her back in this kind of lame way and then didn't treat her character very kindly at all. I didn't like what happened to her -- she was more of a caricature in S6 than in S5.

Good point, NewPark. Maybe there was another interim chemist between Mrs. Tishell and Jenny?

I agree with your comments about Mrs. T in S6. I found her nearly hysterical at times, and not nearly as sympathetic of a character.
  • Options
    ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I think they took it too far with Mrs. T, myself. It wasn't enjoyable to watch, amusing, and we didn't learn anything from her ugly breakdown. We have no idea where Clive is, and sometimes the lack of continuity can be a bit annoying. S6 as it played out was the destruction of one of the most intelligent, witty, and sad characters on the show, done in a very unforgiving way. I'm not sure the writers/producers/directors of the show can do "breakdown" well, at least for me; it seems like they are best with light-hearted comedy/drama. Neither DM's or Mrs. T breakdowns were seamlessly portrayed, or cohesive, to me.

Mona, I think you are on to something. S6 had a new director, but I don't recall many new writers? Which would mean that the team writing these "breakdown" storylines is the same team who were originally hired 10 years ago to write comedy! No wonder it's not working for me: if you're gonna change the entire genre of a show, you need to hire writers who are familiar with writing the new genre. Either that, or stick with the original premise! I so well remember that this sort of thing is exactly what led to the cancellation of "Roc" back in the '90's. :(
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I have a question about the timeline of S6. They get married immediately. Somewhere, we learned that they had been living together for about 3 months before their wedding -- or I am imagining this? Is it because we learned explictly that JH was 6 mo. old, and we think he was 3 months at the end of S5? He couldn't have been much older than that as DM was going to stay for a week, after he was born and AJ died, then another week, then 2 more months and then he was on the verge of leaving for London.

But the previous discussion about Mrs. Tishell reminded me that it is in E2 that Bert first meets Jenny, the replacement chemist -- and that is a couple of weeks further on than the wedding.

After series five I too thought we wouldn't see Mrs. T again.

England is more generous with time off due to illness and let's not forget their National Health Service. I think sick leave in the UK is probably easier on the pocketbook than it is here in the states.

In series 6 I think they made Mrs. T too weird, that's why I won't miss her if she doesn't come back. I think it was probably a bad idea to bring her back for more than a short appearance or reference to her.

There were inconsistencies with regard to Martin's breakdown, but that is the way they wanted to portray it. Yes, they could have had his sleep deprivation affect his medical abilities. They could have referenced it more earlier in the series. I think the sleep deprivation along with everything else lead to his giving the rabies shot to the wrong patient. Mostly they focused on how his blood phobia made his life unmanageable. The phobia is the main reason for the premise of the show, it's the most important flaw of the major character. They chose to have him withdraw from his family and they reconciled the impact his parents had on the cause of his blood phobia. I feel all that was the logical choice as the root of his breakdown.

Anyway, I bought into most of what they did in series 6. Its missteps don't bother me. I was disappointed in series 5. I may have lost faith in the show had I not enjoyed series 6.

I think Nigel Cole did an amazing job and I think it was a fresh change. It doesn't mean I think Ben Bolt didn't do good work. With the change in tone I think they wanted to go in a different direction with a new director. It worked for me.
  • Options
    carol_averycarol_avery Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    and Mark Crowdy has been there since beginning... in "Behind The Scenes" I think we get a hint at how central to DM he has been since Day 1. And he says something like "DM hasn't dealt with his issues at all, since childhood, so he has problems. He has to deal with them before he can move on, be happy". (paraphrasing)

Even though S6 went all dark and sad, it still had great funny moments.... hearing L blow her coach whistle at DM to try to get him to stop walking away from her (just before she gets smacked by the car) was hilariousy funny - for example. It's quite a challenge to have S7 be about getting DM to deal with his inner issues while still being a funny smart witty entertaining show... but I have the feeling that Mark Crowdy already had/has the plot arc in his mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and Mark Crowdy has been there since beginning... in "Behind The Scenes" I think we get a hint at how central to DM he has been since Day 1. And he says something like "DM hasn't dealt with his issues at all, since childhood, so he has problems. He has to deal with them before he can move on, be happy". (paraphrasing)

Even though S6 went all dark and sad, it still had great funny moments.... hearing L blow her coach whistle at DM to try to get him to stop walking away from her (just before she gets smacked by the car) was hilariousy funny - for example. It's quite a challenge to have S7 be about getting DM to deal with his inner issues while still being a funny smart witty entertaining show... but I have the feeling that Mark Crowdy already had/has the plot arc in his mind.

Not only do he and Phillipa have the plot arc in mind, but I feel pretty sure that the first drafts of at least initial episodes are already written, and they are at least thinking of pinning down character actors to cast in certain episodes. We're a little more than a year away from air time and 7 months now from beginning of filming!
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, humor is a personal thing! I found that whole scene, from start to end, just jarring and awful. I did not see anything funny about it at all. I found LG screaming after DM and then blowing her whistle was more cacophonous than comedic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    Mona, I think you are on to something. S6 had a new director, but I don't recall many new writers? Which would mean that the team writing these "breakdown" storylines is the same team who were originally hired 10 years ago to write comedy! No wonder it's not working for me: if you're gonna change the entire genre of a show, you need to hire writers who are familiar with writing the new genre. Either that, or stick with the original premise! I so well remember that this sort of thing is exactly what led to the cancellation of "Roc" back in the '90's. :(

That's a very good point, Zarwen. You have writers writing what may be a bit out of their league, based on previous scripts they've done. Not all writers can effectively write all types of emotional tones in scripts. For example, we all know the "type" of script Jack Lothian writes, as it's been consistent throughout the series, that meshing of a bit of drama with that comedic touch designed to amuse and educate the audience on the characters growth. They had him repeat that as best as possible in E8, which turned out okay, though by no means his best finale episode. . And Ben Bolt did his usual greatness in E1, but that was the perfect mix of what we have enjoyed for all those seasons; comedy with gentle travails to overcome. But, all the middle episodes were written by people who as you said, had written much different type scripts in the past, and they may not have been up to the task.

Add in you have a new director. You have an ill main actor and head producer. You have last minute changes to script plot lines (Penhale additions).

It certainly makes sense why it was so disappointing to some of us.
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In S6E1 when M & L were getting married and when it came to the time to exchange rings, it was telling to me the honor that MC places on his marriage to Philippa - that the "bride" Louisa did not get to put the ring on DM's finger. The scene was supposed to be very funny - it was - but it was also telling about MC & PB's marriage. I think it would have looked awkward to me to see Louisa put the ring on the doc's finger.

As to Mrs. Tishell - surprised she was brought back so soon in S6, but it adds another layer of tension, as you can see M & L are very cautious about her return to the pharmacy. As good as Jenny was as a fill-in pharmacist and romantic interest for Bert, she doesn't come close to Mrs. Tishell's strong part in this series. Yes, what about Clive?

I liked the way Aunt Ruth is fitting into PW - here is a city woman who, by staying on after her sister's funeral, finds a new life here. The scene between AR and Margaret having coffee and a chat was a priceless moment of acting. Good for you, AR, putting Margaret in her place!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    In S6E1 when M & L were getting married and when it came to the time to exchange rings, it was telling to me the honor that MC places on his marriage to Philippa - that the "bride" Louisa did not get to put the ring on DM's finger. The scene was supposed to be very funny - it was - but it was also telling about MC & PB's marriage. I think it would have looked awkward to me to see Louisa put the ring on the doc's finger.

As to Mrs. Tishell - surprised she was brought back so soon in S6, but it adds another layer of tension, as you can see M & L are very cautious about her return to the pharmacy. As good as Jenny was as a fill-in pharmacist and romantic interest for Bert, she doesn't come close to Mrs. Tishell's strong part in this series. Yes, what about Clive?

I liked the way Aunt Ruth is fitting into PW - here is a city woman who, by staying on after her sister's funeral, finds a new life here. The scene between AR and Margaret having coffee and a chat was a priceless moment of acting. Good for you, AR, putting Margaret in her place!

I felt so bad that they portrayed Mrs. Tishell as such a nutter in S6. I didn't expect to see her, but when she showed up I wish that they hadn't reduced her to such an idiot. If she is in S7 let's hope she has a bit of dignity left, because I want Jennifer to become the new child care person. I feel she is very warm and nurturing.....I bet she has kids of her own. James Henry needs an environment where he can "let it all out"....like finger painting his whole body or playing with a puppy. She would do all those things. Or playing in mud or sand.....it's all part of a healthy childhood.
  • Options
    earlgrey152earlgrey152 Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I felt so bad that they portrayed Mrs. Tishell as such a nutter in S6. I didn't expect to see her, but when she showed up I wish that they hadn't reduced her to such an idiot. If she is in S7 let's hope she has a bit of dignity left, because I want Jennifer to become the new child care person. I feel she is very warm and nurturing.....I bet she has kids of her own. James Henry needs an environment where he can "let it all out"....like finger painting his whole body or playing with a puppy. She would do all those things. Or playing in mud or sand.....it's all part of a healthy childhood.

Do you mean that Jennifer the character has kids of her own? Or that the actress does? If you mean the character, I would think that's a possibility. Assuming she's close to Bert's age, her own kids would likely be young adults as well.

As for the child care situation, I understand that it was a plot device to have the poor babe passed between many caregivers, but really? There were NO other stay-at-home mums in PW who could watch JH during the day?? Maybe one who is running a home daycare herself?

Not that I'd mind Jennifer providing the care, just that it seems to be a stretch that she would be the only solution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean that Jennifer the character has kids of her own? Or that the actress does? If you mean the character, I would think that's a possibility. Assuming she's close to Bert's age, her own kids would likely be young adults as well.

As for the child care situation, I understand that it was a plot device to have the poor babe passed between many caregivers, but really? There were NO other stay-at-home mums in PW who could watch JH during the day?? Maybe one who is running a home daycare herself?

Not that I'd mind Jennifer providing the care, just that it seems to be a stretch that she would be the only solution.

It would be a great solution...one on one with other characters dropping in now and then. Close to home....I find Jennifer a character of humanity and someone who can provide stability and affection. If Mrs. T doesn't leave, and Jennifer marries and stays with Bert she will be left with an opportunity to use some spare time.....she will still help Bert but she still has some to spare. That is....until Louisa quits with the next baby.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a very good point, Zarwen. You have writers writing what may be a bit out of their league, based on previous scripts they've done. Not all writers can effectively write all types of emotional tones in scripts. For example, we all know the "type" of script Jack Lothian writes, as it's been consistent throughout the series, that meshing of a bit of drama with that comedic touch designed to amuse and educate the audience on the characters growth. They had him repeat that as best as possible in E8, which turned out okay, though by no means his best finale episode. . And Ben Bolt did his usual greatness in E1, but that was the perfect mix of what we have enjoyed for all those seasons; comedy with gentle travails to overcome. But, all the middle episodes were written by people who as you said, had written much different type scripts in the past, and they may not have been up to the task.

Add in you have a new director. You have an ill main actor and head producer. You have last minute changes to script plot lines (Penhale additions).

Small correction needed here (S6):
    1 "Sickness and Health" Nigel Cole Jack Lothian
    2 "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" Nigel Cole Ben Bolt
    3 "The Tameness of a Wolf" Nigel Cole Richard Stoneman
    4 "Nobody Likes Me" Paul Seed Charlie Martin (new writer)
    5 "The Practice Around the Corner" Paul Seed Julian Unthank (new writer)
    6 "Hazardous Exposure" Paul Seed Charlie Martin (new writer)
    7 "Listen with Mother" Nigel Cole Richard Stoneman
    8 "Departure" Nigel Cole Jack Lothian

Compare to:
    S1 All episodes written by Minghella except "Of All the Harbors in all the Towns (Regier & Falkous)

S2: Minghella & Minghella 4 Lothian 2 and Stoneman 2.

Christmas ep: Lothian

S3: Lothian 2 Stoneman 2 Bolt 1 Vivian 1 Temple 1

S4: Lothian 3 Stoneman 3 Bolt 2

S5: Lothian 3 Stoneman 2 Hurford & Butterworth 2 Bolt 1

S6: Lothian 2 Stoneman 2 Martin 2 Bolt 1 Unthank 1

S1-5: All directed by Bolt, except for 6 eps: Spiro 4 Seed 2
    S6: Two directors split eps: Cole 5 and Seed 3

Take this analysis for what it is worth (15 min. of my time). :blush::D
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In series six Ben Bolt wrote episode two "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner". Someone else wrote the first episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Small correction needed here (S6):
    1 "Sickness and Health" Nigel Cole Jack Lothian
    2 "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" Nigel Cole Ben Bolt
    3 "The Tameness of a Wolf" Nigel Cole Richard Stoneman
    4 "Nobody Likes Me" Paul Seed Charlie Martin (new writer)
    5 "The Practice Around the Corner" Paul Seed Julian Unthank (new writer)
    6 "Hazardous Exposure" Paul Seed Charlie Martin (new writer)
    7 "Listen with Mother" Nigel Cole Richard Stoneman
    8 "Departure" Nigel Cole Jack Lothian

Compare to:
    S1 All episodes written by Minghella except "Of All the Harbors in all the Towns (Regier & Falkous)

S2: Minghella & Minghella 4 Lothian 2 and Stoneman 2.

Christmas ep: Lothian

S3: Lothian 2 Stoneman 2 Bolt 1 Vivian 1 Temple 1

S4: Lothian 3 Stoneman 3 Bolt 2

S5: Lothian 3 Stoneman 2 Hurford & Butterworth 2 Bolt 1

S6: Lothian 2 Stoneman 2 Martin 2 Bolt 1 Unthank 1

S1-5: All directed by Bolt, except for 6 eps: Spiro 4 Seed 2
    S6: Two directors split eps: Cole 5 and Seed 3

Take this analysis for what it is worth (15 min. of my time). :blush::D

Thanks for the corrections, SS! So, just three new writers for the eight episodes.

Still, it doesn't mean that the regular writers were not out of their writing comfort zone.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the corrections, SS! So, just three new writers for the eight episodes.

Still, it doesn't mean that the regular writers were not out of their writing comfort zone.

Sorry, Mona, actually 2 new writers (one did 2 eps). And 1 ep from each of them were, in my opinion, my least enjoyed of the series.
    The regular writers I thought did quite their usual good jobs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone know why BP didn't approach those writers from earlier series - Vivian, Unthank, etc - when writers were needed for S7? I swear I cannot tell who writes which episode, and I've been trying to discern this S1-S6. Just wondering about the relationship between Crowdy/PB and who gets to be writers for this show.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin Clunes has said over and over again that these scripts are intensely, heavily edited -- they go through many drafts. Who reads them and requests revisions? Well, I think probably the producers (Phillipa and Mark Crowdy) and maybe the director has some input. Martin does some improvising during filming, apparently. They are revising down to the last minute, and given the exigencies of their filming schedule, I don't think they track the writer down on the day and have him do the revisions. It sounds like a pretty homogenizing process. I am not inclined to blame the writers for causing viewer dissatisfaction with S6. Certainly, the writers don't dream up the story arc.

• Options
    Forum Member
    that group activity may help explain why I can't discern a particular writer from one episode to another for sure. It's kind of fun to think of them as a group of friends/colleagues/creative types who got together and get together to throw this thing into action every 2 years....

MC once made disparaging remarks about "writers" in one interview... the above style of working might explain that view /those comments of his.

Anyone know who is credited with "writing" his factual programs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would never be able to write with another person.....but that's my way. It seems to work for them though. When I visit "Large and in Charge" we'll have to see if we can knock off a story together....and that's coming soon. Could be a fun little project.
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    I have always been puzzled why there have been so many writers after series 1 and 2 or why there isn't one head writer as Julian Fallowes is for Downton Abbey. Each new writer brings his or her own influences to the story. Martin Clunes has a deep understanding of his character as he helped create it. But poor Caroline Catz has had to play Louisa in so many ways based on each writer's interpretation of the story arc

Remember the horrid Doc Martin books? While technically well-written that author could only regurgitate what the show's various writers had created.

For series 7 I hope they have two writers at most who can give a consistent voice to the show.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portwenn Survivor

This week's episode thrown out of the surgery:

S2E6 The Family Way

New survey this week:

S4E8 The Wrong Goodbye vs S5E4 Mother Knows Best

Here are the standings for the eliminated episodes. I encourage you to vote on this list each week!

1 S6E7 Listen With Mother
    2 S4E6 Midwife Crisis
    3 S3E4 The Admirer
    4 S3E7 Happily Ever After
    5 S4E7 Do Not Disturb
    6 S6E4 Nobody Likes Me
    7 S2E2 In Loco
    8 S5E2 Dry Your Tears
    9 S3E2 Movement
    10 S4E3 Perish Together as Fools
    11 S6E3 The Tameness of a Wolf
    12 S6E5 The Practice Around the Corner
    13 S6E6 Hazardous Exposure
    14 S5E5 Remember Me
    15 S5E6 Don't Let Go
    16 S6E2 Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

Complete survey results: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyResults.html

New survey: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyCurrent.html

Episode title survey (suggestions for the eliminated episode):
    http://portwennonline.com/SurveyEpisodeTitles.html
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always been puzzled why there have been so many writers after series 1 and 2 or why there isn't one head writer as Julian Fallowes is for Downton Abbey. Each new writer brings his or her own influences to the story. Martin Clunes has a deep understanding of his character as he helped create it. But poor Caroline Catz has had to play Louisa in so many ways based on each writer's interpretation of the story arc

Remember the horrid Doc Martin books? While technically well-written that author could only regurgitate what the show's various writers had created.

For series 7 I hope they have two writers at most who can give a consistent voice to the show.

I looked at the back of the Downton Abbey dvd box and it stated that Julian Fellowes created the series. There is no credit given to the writers. I doubt very much if he wrote the script for the entire cast. At least Doc Martin gives credit to Dominic Minghella for creating the series and to the writer/writers of the particular episode. My feeling is that as the series carries on, it is more difficult to write the script for the characters of M & L. I wish at this point they would consider the Minghellas, both Dominic and Edana, to write an episode for S7--it would be interesting to see if they could both swallow all that has happened since they were last on board and come up with a brilliant episode.

Well, I never read the DM books - I knew they would not come close to the fan fiction of our fans and the stories they have written.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    from Wiki

Gareth Neame of Carnival Films conceived the idea of an Edwardian-era TV drama set in a country house and approached Fellowes, who had won an Academy Award for Best Writing (Original Screenplay) for Gosford Park. Although Fellowes was reluctant to work on another project resembling Gosford, within a few weeks he returned to Neame with an outline of the first series. Fellowes writes the scripts, and his wife Emma is an informal story editor.[7]
This discussion has been closed.