Options

Advice or guidance wanted - Blind, deaf, old cat joining the family

Dreamer27Dreamer27 Posts: 6,509
Forum Member
Long story short I work in a kennels that looks after RSPCA animals and have grown attached to an old cat, expected not too last that long (although been assured not in pain), which i've decided to foster.

As well as being deaf and blind she has kidney problems and high blood pressure, although I work with animals i've never cared longish term with an animal with these problems.

Has anyone else had animals suffering with these illnesses that has any tips on particular foods, vitamins or day to day things I can do to lessen any discomfort she might be in?

Or any advice on helping a deaf/blind cat around a new environment

Basically anything is welcome!

Comments

• Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    I cant offer any advice im afraid but its a wonderful thing youre doing. Good Luck!
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've no actual experiance, but I'dve thought she's mainly working on smell so before the move get her to sleep on clothes/blankets that the families smell is on and then bring them to the house with her. Keep her in a small room with the tray and feeding/water bowls she's used to - try to get them in much the same configeration as she's used to at the rescue. Keep to the same brands of food she's used to. Over a period of time open up more rooms as she gains confidence about her new home.
    Good luck, and as clm says its a wonderful thing to do:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    clm2071 wrote: »
    I cant offer any advice im afraid but its a wonderful thing youre doing. Good Luck!
    Shrike wrote: »
    I've no actual experiance, but I'dve thought she's mainly working on smell so before the move get her to sleep on clothes/blankets that the families smell is on and then bring them to the house with her. Keep her in a small room with the tray and feeding/water bowls she's used to - try to get them in much the same configeration as she's used to at the rescue. Keep to the same brands of food she's used to. Over a period of time open up more rooms as she gains confidence about her new home.
    Good luck, and as clm says its a wonderful thing to do:)

Thanks guys, i'm hoping it will benefit her and she'll grow in confidence but I guess we will see - she's coming home tomorrow. I've set her up in a room and like you said put her litter tray and bowls in the same set up - hoping that'll be less confusing for her!
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    My 2 cats took a good few days to get used to their new surroundings when we moved house. One hid under the bed, the other behind the sofa.

Cats are good at adapting, it might take a few days but I would just let the old girl take it at her own pace and explore as she wants. Just make sure shes got what she needs and I'm sure you'll do just fine.
  • Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Luck, you're doing a wonderful thing for her. :kitty:
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not had a deaf/blind cat but have had a deaf/blind dog (as well as my current 3 legged cat!) The sad thing for us when the dog went blind was she could no longer play - couldn't see her old toys any more.

She was young when she went blind and old when she went deaf so was well adjusted to the blindness and maybe she lost her hearing so gradually it didn't seem too traumatic.

I found it more important to be very tactile with her - lots of cuddles and affection that she could feel, as she couldn't see, or respond to her name when called. One thing though - she could no longer hear voices, or other dogs barking but she would turn her head if you clapped your hands. So there may be some sound the cat can still hear, that you can use to get her attention?

You're doing the right thing, keeping familiar things around her and making her world small. Lots of affection; kidnap her and put her on your knee a lot.
  • Options
    eggplanteggplant Posts: 1,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If her kidneys are failing then she will drink a lot and wee a lot and may need a special diet.
    This site has vast amounts of information on that aspect http://www.felinecrf.org/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Had her first night at home last night and although I woke up in the early hours to find she'd wondered off from her bed and found a pair of slippers to lay on instead she's eating well and loving the extra attention.

http://postimg.org/image/duyebg9il/
    eggplant wrote: »
    If her kidneys are failing then she will drink a lot and wee a lot and may need a special diet.
    This site has vast amounts of information on that aspect http://www.felinecrf.org/

Thank you, i'll have a look at that today
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Not had a deaf/blind cat but have had a deaf/blind dog (as well as my current 3 legged cat!) The sad thing for us when the dog went blind was she could no longer play - couldn't see her old toys any more.

She was young when she went blind and old when she went deaf so was well adjusted to the blindness and maybe she lost her hearing so gradually it didn't seem too traumatic.

I found it more important to be very tactile with her - lots of cuddles and affection that she could feel, as she couldn't see, or respond to her name when called. One thing though - she could no longer hear voices, or other dogs barking but she would turn her head if you clapped your hands. So there may be some sound the cat can still hear, that you can use to get her attention?

You're doing the right thing, keeping familiar things around her and making her world small. Lots of affection; kidnap her and put her on your knee a lot.

I tried clapping after reading your post, didn't have any reaction but I have started blowing on her to let her know i'm there otherwise she jumps out of her skin.