Options

Pensioner jailed for being gay..

exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
Forum Member
This was on our local news earlier and according to reports in other links he and his friend were arrested while standing together at a bus stop - yeah a sure sign of being gay huh?!.

His phone was later checked and a photo was found as 'proof' of homosexuality and they then went through his emails, facebook etc for further 'proof' to secure a conviction, the pair got four months.

It was in Morocco btw and yeah blah blah blah "their rules etc " but no that is not on at all and especially by the fact the couple were just standing at a friggin bus stop.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/06/ray-coles-son-campaign-release-moroccan-prison-homosexual-acts

There's a bit in the link about him not having a wash for ages because it’s illegal to be naked in front of other people, whatever next!

Comments

• Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Is Morocco one of these "peaceful" Islamic countries by any chance?

Sounds like they're bang to rights, anyway. Have you never heard the phrase: "as gay as a man at a bus stop"?
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »

Sounds like they're bang to rights, anyway. Have you never heard the phrase: "as gay as a man at a bus stop"?
    No.
    But I just cut my bus pass in half.
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure those of an apparently liberal viewpoint will be along shortly to say it's nothing to do with islam.

It's interesting that they are vociferoulsy defensive of the rights of women and gay people in western culture, but defend the rights of muslims who oppress them.
  • Options
    TerryallgoldTerryallgold Posts: 1,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get this thread. Are you starting an appeal to free him or are you making other people aware that Morroco is a risky place for gay people? What are you trying to achieve?

Genuine query
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Is Morocco one of these "peaceful" Islamic countries by any chance?

Sadly, it appears that he WAS caught bang to rights, having arranged to meet his Moroccan partner online, then duly travelling to Morroco to see him. I can see that it is heart-breaking for his family, especially the gay son who dare not visit him, but hopefully he will survive the 4 months and come home OK.

Now I'm going to harden my heart and say something a wee bit unsympathetic about Mr Cole, who I really do hope will emerge safe and well from all this. By arranging a gay link-up in a country where homosexuality is illegal, he potentially put the other man in greater danger than he put himself. Jam Wald Nass was never going to be offered any consular assistance, and could easily come out of prison to find himself socially outcast and unable to get a job.

There is a small positive in the Tory MP describing the Moroccan laws as 'medieval'; I am old enough to remember when Tory MP's supported the very same laws themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly, it appears that he WAS caught bang to rights, having arranged to meet his Moroccan partner online, then duly travelling to Morroco to see him. I can see that it is heart-breaking for his family, especially the gay son who dare not visit him, but hopefully he will survive the 4 months and come home OK.

Now I'm going to harden my heart and say something a wee bit unsympathetic about Mr Cole, who I really do hope will emerge safe and well from all this. By arranging a gay link-up in a country where homosexuality is illegal, he potentially put the other man in greater danger than he put himself. Jam Wald Nass was never going to be offered any consular assistance, and could easily come out of prison to find himself socially outcast and unable to get a job.

There is a small positive in the Tory MP describing the Moroccan laws as 'medieval'; I am old enough to remember when Tory MP's supported the very same laws themselves.

And here we have it.

It's his fault for being gay in an islamic country.

I predicted this earlier in the thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Armi wrote: »
    And here we have it.

It's his fault.

What should we do? Air strikes? Boots on the Ground? Sanctions?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Consistency would be a start.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Wonkeydonkey said I feel sorry more for the Moroccan guy who could face a real danger from now on
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Ray Cole, 69, from Deal in Kent, was stopped by the police on 18 September with his friend Jamal Jam Wald Nass, a Moroccan man in his twenties...

"Friend" <nudge nudge, wink wink>

👬
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    And here we have it.

It's not just that, the guy has put a non Brit in danger - how dare he.

It seems gay love is ok as long as you keep it at home and stick to your own nationals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just that, the guy has put a non Brit in danger - how dare he.

It seems gay love is ok as long as you keep it at home and stick to your own nationals.

And it doesn't involve the possibility of having to crticise islamic culture.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,655
    Forum Member
    Seems bizarre to me. Even if you keep it behind closed doors, they'll still prosecute you for it.

The world's a strange place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And here we have it.

What, you predicted that you woud post a sneering reply that bore no relation to the post you were pretending to reply to? I don't see you saying that?

No one has blamed anyone for 'being gay in an Islamic country', don't be so fatuous. I did express a very mildly phrased criticism at someone travelling TO an Islamic country to have a relationship with someone living there, having arranged to do so online. And I stand by that. Mr Cole was taking a risk, which, as an adult, he is fully entitled to do. But he was arranging for Mr Wald Nass, a man who presumably has far fewer opprtunities to express his sexuality, to take a much greater risk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What, you predicted that you woud post a sneering reply that bore no relation to the post you were pretending to reply to? I don't see you saying that?

No one has blamed anyone for 'being gay in an Islamic country', don't be so fatuous. I did express a very mildly phrased criticism at someone travelling TO an Islamic country to have a relationship with someone living there, having arranged to do so online. And I stand by that. Mr Cole was taking a risk, which, as an adult, he is fully entitled to do. But he was arranging for Mr Wald Nass, a man who presumably has far fewer opprtunities to express his sexuality, to take a much greater risk.

You're making excuses for their prejudices against gay people.

You wouldn't allow it in western culture. Why do you tolerate it in islam?
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member

I know Dave is desperate for the Tories to be cool with gay people but he wouldn't go that far. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're making excuses for their prejudices against gay people.

You wouldn't allow it in western culture. Why do you tolerate it in islam?

Gone mad? I have done absolutely no such thing. Why do you KEEP pretending |I have said something completely different from anything I have said?

I have never and will never make excuses for any country imprisoning people for being gay. There is no reason why you should have any idea of my general views, but if you did you would not dream of suggesting it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    People get a bit sensitive about this sort of thing. I read the Daily Mail article about it and ranked the comments in 'best rated' order. Unsurprisingly, the vast majority of the top comments were along the lines of "it's their country, respect their rules".

While I do understand the "when in Rome" viewpoint, there was no hint of sympathy in any of the comments; just very hard nosed "well, he should have known better" comments. Which -- in my opinion -- is almost voicing support for Morocco's stance.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure he knew the risks, it was illegal here in his lifetime. He should have found someone who wanted a sugar daddy in a country where it's not illegal
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morocco used to be seen as a bit of a gay haven in decades gone by. Read some Joe Orton for example. In fact, I've read that quite a lot of men over there basically work as prostitutes offering themselves to tourists but obviously they have to do it very discretely.

Awful story though and I really hope that something can be figured out to help this man out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sure he knew the risks, it was illegal here in his lifetime. He should have found someone who wanted a sugar daddy in a country where it's not illegal

Exhibit A ;)
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    People get a bit sensitive about this sort of thing. I read the Daily Mail article about it and ranked the comments in 'best rated' order. Unsurprisingly, the vast majority of the top comments were along the lines of "it's their country, respect their rules".

While I do understand the "when in Rome" viewpoint, there was no hint of sympathy in any of the comments; just very hard nosed "well, he should have known better" comments. Which -- in my opinion -- is almost voicing support for Morocco's stance.

Agreed. I wonder if it would be the same reaction if the case were different? Like if a pretty blond woman from the home counties didn't cover her face well enough in Saudi Arabia and was going to get the lash. I'm sure the Mail readers would be well pissed.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Paul237 wrote: »
    Seems bizarre to me. Even if you keep it behind closed doors, they'll still prosecute you for it.

The world's a strange place.

It's like 1950s Britain.
    Actually, scrub that. Wasn't there something about 10 years ago about some gay men in Bolton who ended up in prison for doing gay things?
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By arranging a gay link-up in a country where homosexuality is illegal, he potentially put the other man in greater danger than he put himself.
    Although it is in theory, gay men have been accepted there for decades (if not centuries), doesn't Stephen Fry have a house there? It seems he may just have been particularly unlucky.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member

I see your point even if the terminally offended members of this forum refuse to.

He took a big risk going to an Islamic country where homosexuality is illegal. Yes, their laws are absurd, but these are their laws nevertheless. Sure, he has the moral highground, but that won't get him very far in this instance.

I would hope that our government are able to secure his release.