Things said to you in the street by strangers

Dreamer27Dreamer27 Posts: 6,509
Forum Member
I only thought of this after going to a prison today, they were all shouting out their window various obscenities and found it difficult not to take offense or be embarrassed.

I'm attempting to see the lighter side of idiots making comments in the street. I don't know if it counts as street harassment but I imagine everyone experiences a bit of this.

What has been aimed at you in the street? Did you say anything back or just let it go?

(Not sure how much this thread will last but hey ho)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Men always tell me to smile. I feel like telling them my dad just died or something to see their response.
  • BRGBRG Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No matter how offensive or crude the words at that are used I can't think of a single example where 'returning fire' is ever going to have a good outcome.
    Be offended, carry on, get over it.
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get asked where I get my clothes from and how do I tie my scarf.
  • Dreamer27Dreamer27 Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    BRG wrote: »
    No matter how offensive or crude the words at that are used I can't think of a single example where 'returning fire' is ever going to have a good outcome.
    Be offended, carry on, get over it.

I did snap once and they looked like they were not expecting it at all, I guess a lot of people just walk past in their own world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After buying myself a bag of chips and can of juice on my way home one night, three ratty looking blokes blocked my way and propositioned me, I don't remember the exact terms but it was pretty icky stuff, possibly "want gangbanged?" or something. I said no so the rattiest one's response was "I bet you could shove that can right up your arse" before I pushed past them. I was a bit shook up, they were quite frightening, all trenchcoats and grease and nasty faces.

People used to tell me to smile all the time but they don't now. I think it's because I used to look neutral and my neutral face looks sad, but now I actively scowl if I want to ward off well-meant but unwanted accosting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I have had numerous people shout rude things about my appearance but I just choose to ignore it. My mother says I make myself a target for abuse by the way I dress but I really don't give two hoots about what people think about my clothes/hair. In fact, the way I choose to present myself is one of the only, if not the only thing in my life I feel completely confident about.
  • 36_Chambers36_Chambers Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    did the prisoners shout 'suck ya mom' thats a favourite in prison and so is ' I will bang you out'
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    "D'you wanna be sucked off, mush?"

This was from a man in Swansea. Swansea is peculiar.
  • gavinfarrellygavinfarrelly Posts: 6,195
    Forum Member
    I once had a randomer telling me they hope I die soon so that I stop polluting the air around everyone else. I was smoking (outside) at the time. I just ignored her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    Spinnt wrote: »
    Men always tell me to smile. I feel like telling them my dad just died or something to see their response.

I always get that as well. It really gets on my nerves, I just scowl at them when they say it.
  • ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had compliments from strangers - both male and female. Some were the usual sex based filth, but seem were genuinely lovely.

I've also had abuse calling me fat and ugly. (mostly when I was young)

A few months ago my mum and I were stopped in Tesco by an old lady who just wanted to say how obvious it was that we were mother and daughter cos we looked alike, spoke alike and had the same smile.

Today I was coming out of the dentist, a bit dazed and drugged up doing up my coat and a lady (in her 50s) called back as she walked "You're doing the wrong buttons up, hen!". I laughed and called back thanks.

I like that latter kind of interactions with strangers. Brings me a wee bit of joy on dull days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once a man on the street said to me " I am going to strangle you" as I walked down a busy street he whispered it in my ear as he walked passed me. I turned around to look at him and he just walked down the street without looking back at me.

Strange I know.
  • Tim CullenTim Cullen Posts: 1,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you buy us some **** mate?
    Could you buy us some booze mate?
    Do you know where I can get some weed?
  • sunsetbeachsunsetbeach Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After visiting several shopping retail parks the weekend with my one year old, I noticed loads of bloody lazy bastards parking in parent and child bays with no children, well yesterday my blood was boiling and I was getting hangry at my local Lidls and some lady got into her car in a parent and child bay, I didn't have my son so as I walked past I literally stated yelling across the car park about 'those lazy flockers over there with no kids, look everyone how bloody inconsiderate!'

I immediately felt like a right tit and was one of those nutters who randomly shout at strangers :o:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goonst wrote: »
    After buying myself a bag of chips and can of juice on my way home one night, three ratty looking blokes blocked my way and propositioned me, I don't remember the exact terms but it was pretty icky stuff, possibly "want gangbanged?" or something. I said no so the rattiest one's response was "I bet you could shove that can right up your arse" before I pushed past them. I was a bit shook up, they were quite frightening, all trenchcoats and grease and nasty faces.

People used to tell me to smile all the time but they don't now. I think it's because I used to look neutral and my neutral face looks sad, but now I actively scowl if I want to ward off well-meant but unwanted accosting.

That must have been terrifiying for you. I am honestly sorry you experienced what you did. I don't know how old you are, but your post made me think of my youngest daughter. She is twenty and I can hear her in your words.

I wish they had stopped me. I would have totally ****ed their heads up.

Don't let people like that change you. You are far better than that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Some chav **** called me a "fat c**t" once.

Didn't mind that bit to be honest. What pissed me off more was that he cycled past, with his friend sat on his handlebars (:confused:), as he said it.

They could have at least had the balls to say it to my face.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The odd one will look and say hiya, but a lot just tend to have their eyes glued to the screen on their phone. Phone addicts.
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excuse me mate, i was wondering if you could help me, i've lost my wallet ....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was 12 a group of middle aged men walked past me, one of them shouted 'what the hell was that?' (about me) so I shouted back 'at least I'm not a bald fat b______) and the other men laughed at him - served him right!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    That must have been terrifiying for you. I am honestly sorry you experienced what you did. I don't know how old you are, but your post made me think of my youngest daughter. She is twenty and I can hear her in your words.

I wish they had stopped me. I would have totally ****ed their heads up.

Don't let people like that change you. You are far better than that.

I'm 17 but it was a while ago, I would've been about 15. It was unpleasant enough to have stuck in my head anyway.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Do you have 50p i can borrow sir?"

This usually followed by: "I need to get something to eat or "I need some bus money"
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't tend to get direct abuse, just the annoying, "OOIII!" followed by much sniggering :confused:
    No point answering back, the witty replies only ever come to you hours later :rolleyes:

TBH, if I'm out alone I'll have my headphones on so I don't have to listen to other people, or even pretend they're there :p
  • Dreamer27Dreamer27 Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    ikkleosu wrote: »
    Today I was coming out of the dentist, a bit dazed and drugged up doing up my coat and a lady (in her 50s) called back as she walked "You're doing the wrong buttons up, hen!". I laughed and called back thanks.

I like that latter kind of interactions with strangers. Brings me a wee bit of joy on dull days.

Ha, the simple interactions really can brighten up the days.

I was standing outside a shop waiting for my mum when I was about 14, suddenly I felt someone running their hand through my hair and turned around to find a very old woman. She said I had lovely hair just like her daughter used to and not to change it. (Should've taken her advice after dying it all sorts now!)
    did the prisoners shout 'suck ya mom' thats a favourite in prison and so is ' I will bang you out'

I think the exact words were "i'd do you up the bleep, you little bleep."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    Me and OH in my car, me driving. We were stuck in traffic in Wolverhampton, when two white guys came up to the passenger side of the car and tapped the window. OH dropped the window down a little, and one of the guys said "Jesus loves you for having a white woman, brother!!" Then they walked away. :confused::confused:

We just looked at each other and burst out laughing. We had both thought they wanted directions.

(I automatically lock the doors as soon as I/we get in the car, so we were safe.)

I know this sounds utterly ridiculous, and farfetched, but it really did happen.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    "Got any spare change" and "Wanna have a good time?" are the common offenders.