Options

Bearded dragons

mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey

I am wanting a new pet and for a while these have been a secret curiosity of mine :o

I have been doing some reading about them today and they seem like wonderful creatures and something my young sons can grow up with to love (and hopefully learn respect for living things etc)

I was wondering if anyone about had any and could tell me anything about them and the start up costs as where I have looked refers in dollars (about $300) and although the pets at home website says the price of the dragon it doesn't have any links to house it (I will go in to the store and see what they have). I did read they could be kept in a big fish tank (minus the water though!!:D)

I know they need live food about 3 times a week, I don't mind having crickets about as 5yrs ago I had a tarantula who ate black crickets.

Thanks if anyone knows anything:)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,they make very good pets and are very friendly,an aquarium would be fine as long as u have the proper lighting system,heatlamp for basking spot plus UVB lighting,they do grow a few feet so u might wanna get something bigger down the line,exo-terra cages are really good,babies need to be fed every day,usually morning and night,adults may only eat once a day or every few days,youtube have a good variety of videos and some exellent cage setups for ideas,check out this care sheet for more info

http://www.care-sheet.com/index/Pogona
  • Options
    boozer3boozer3 Posts: 2,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This website is great: http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/lizards/

Go to the lizard care sheet section and there will be plenty of info. I don't have beardies ( I have cresties) very different creatures, but that site will help. You can use an old fish tank but you will need to be able to adapt the hood for lighting and heating. And the viv will need ventilation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant:) thank you.

The site I was reading was helpful but all American so British is useful if in need of quick answers.

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beardies rock!

Please do some thorough research before you get one though to make sure you will be fully able to give it the care and attention they need. Whilst they don't demand atention like dogs they do need to be cleaned regularly and given the right food etc as they can get ill easily.

ps if you can put it in a room with a tv they like to watch tv.
  • Options
    GeorgemcneilGeorgemcneil Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bondgirl1 wrote: »
    beardies rock!

Please do some thorough research before you get one though to make sure you will be fully able to give it the care and attention they need. Whilst they don't demand atention like dogs they do need to be cleaned regularly and given the right food etc as they can get ill easily.

ps if you can put it in a room with a tv they like to watch tv.

Some ot them drink in my local.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I promise to do as much research as I can possibily find, I did lots of research about indoor guinea pigs last year, for a good 2 months and then decided not to so if the research doesn't look like a beardie will suit then I wont get one:)

I will go into pets at home this afternoon and see if they have any in and buy a book or two :p on them.

Also are they very smelly? kelly82 said their poop is smell because of theresidual heat from the lamp if they poop during the night:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some ot them drink in my local.

LOL! love that post
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I promise to do as much research as I can possibily find, I did lots of research about indoor guinea pigs last year, for a good 2 months and then decided not to so if the research doesn't look like a beardie will suit then I wont get one:)

I will go into pets at home this afternoon and see if they have any in and buy a book or two :p on them.

Also are they very smelly? kelly82 said their poop is smell because of theresidual heat from the lamp if they poop during the night:D

They can smell if you don't scoop out their poop so make sure you do it every day if you can as the temperature does make it smell so cleaning it out every day will avoid this.

Try and give them a bath every now and again it keeps their skin moist and they can play around in the water. Make sure the water is up to their tummy and is luke warm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have to say, the only beardie ive known was owned by some not so clean owners who didnt clean out the poop on a daily basis. the smell was putrid :( poor beardie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    There is a product out which is like a Pau Peri (sp?) for your Beardies. Its a flowery smelling small pellet type thing that you sprinkle on their veg, it goes through their system and makes their waste smell... well, not nice, but less foul. Completely harmless to your Beardie too, which is a big factor, lol.

But if you just remove it every day, or check twice a day and keep on top of it, they shouldn't stink out a room at all.

Any other questions you want answering? :) I work in a pet shop. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow that sounds kinda cool, maybe I can get some for my kids:D

I do have a question, I know pets at home suggest that a fully grown beardie will need a viv 90cm in length, we think this sounds on the small side, what do you think would be good for a beardie, although if we get one then it will be out and about I don't want it to feel cramped.

I was speaking to another friend yesterday who said when she held one at the pet shop they told her it wasn't wise to sell in pairs as it's difficult to tell the sex of them for a while, is this accurate?

• Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I had a summer job in a pet shop before I went to university and one day at work someone came in and asked me if they sold food for bearded dragons. I looked at her a bit strange as I thought she was winding me up so I told her I didn't know. When I got home that evening I Googled it and found out that they ate dried crickets!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D Did you think she was pulling your leg referring to fire breathing creatures with a santa beard??:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This tanks pretty cool and a good size for adults

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj0SgFZcM8w&feature=response_watch
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow that is a gorgeous tank!! I can't believe he has 2 in there, my friends brother got 2 (before they were offically sexed) and one ended up killing the other!!:eek: I think for safety and my inexperience, one would be more than enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that tank looks good for 1, my husbands work mate had a pair, male and female, in a 6 x 3 x 3 custom viv with a built in rock face thing that he built and siliconed together, with a working mini water fall coming over 1 edge, they had it in their living room. quite a focal point, he had to sell them when they were expecting their first baby but says he still misses them 3 years on. he never really handled his though as far as i know, they were quite skittish and he used them for breeding. still gorgeous beardies though.