What's your fave cat noise?

124»

Comments

• RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilhemina
    Forum Member

Ah, don't worry, if she's chatting away to you anyway she's probably quite content ~ & well done for rehoming a cat from a rescue.

Some cats purr a lot, some a little, some very loudly & some very quietly. Have you tried putting your finger under her throat when she's sitting on your lap or enjoying a cuddle? You may be able to feel a little "rumble" in her throat even if you can't hear her purr. And anyway, just because she may not be purring doesn't necessarily mean she's not happy & content so don't worry.

This is true- I wouldn't worry.

Below is a copy/paste of an earlier post (19):

Quote:
    Originally Posted by michelle666
    One of my cats doesn't purr at all.

I love the chattery noise they make when they see birds outside.
    (Reply from me): My current female cat didn't purr for the first couple of years and then suddenly started. I was beginning to wonder what was going on.

I once read a childrens story that brought a tear to my eye. It was about a cat that had been mistreated. Then, when it found a good home it started making a strange noise. It turned out that it was trying to purr, but it had been that long since it had that it's purr had gone rusty!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant! I think the first one is my favourite.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    My favourite cat noise is the half snory half purry sound they make when they're asleep and (presumably) dreaming - when they're twitching their feet and whiskers and making little snuffly grunty sounds. It sounds so contented and cosy.

Oh one of ours does this. It is sooo cute. We call her Smokey Grunter!

Flash has an elongated wail when he is hungry, like he has never been fed.

Simba squeaks all the time, so much that his nickname is Hog Squeal or Squeaky Boy.

Charlie and Patch have a hoarse meow, like they have a sore throat.

Pippa has a really feeble meow but she is only 6 months old. Sometimes she does that silent meow, like it is too much effort to make the sound.

Charlie, Simba & Pippa are gingers and I find that ginger or ginger/white cats are very vocal!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    The purring is my fave, followed by the gurlgly meow when they are hungry and the half meow-half yawn and finally the little whimpers when they are sleeping and dreaming.

Obviously not a fan of the growl, the snort (sounds like a full size pig), the hiss or the caterwaul that goes right through me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I think purring is my fave too. I do admit I like the hiss(it makes the cat look really animalistic), but don't like the fact that the cat is upset.
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it when my cat chatters to the birds.
    Loubychew wrote: »
    I find that ginger or ginger/white cats are very vocal!

My gingerand white boy is very vocal...he dashes around the place yelling his head off, just like a kid :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean the cat chatters like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLPyx69fmUc
  • hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    I do love the sound of a cat purring.
    My cat used to settle down on my shoulder and "knead" my hair and the purr was very comforting.
    He also made this "raaa ma ma ma ma" (no lady gaga jokes...lol) noise when i came home from work...and that was the only time i ever heard him do it.
    He also used to ...if i was wearing a wool jumper...do the "kneading" with his paws and actually suck the jumper at the top of my arm.
    He used to follow me everywhere and actually walked better to heel than the dog i had after he died.
    He was a Russian Blue.....very clever and an amazing pet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first got one of my boy kittens, he once started trying to suckle my jumper! He must have thought I was the new mummy cat.
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    My favourite cat noise?

When my deaf, brain damaged, hyperactive monster is snoring!

That's the only time when she is not causing mayhem...

(still love her though!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    My favourite cat noise is the half snory half purry sound they make when they're asleep and (presumably) dreaming - when they're twitching their feet and whiskers and making little snuffly grunty sounds. It sounds so contented and cosy.

Ahh, the 'snurr' very popular.

One of mine is a bit of a fidget pants and is in and out of the cat flap all day. When he thunders back in he makes a noise which is an exact rendition of Harry Enfield's character 'Only Meee'. Very cute.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I am in bed I can sometimes hear Emily trashing the living room. Whenever there is a bang and she has knocked something over the next thing I hear is a worried sounding 'brrrrrr!' which makes it impossible for me to be cross with her:D
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean the cat chatters like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLPyx69fmUc

Yes something like that, I love it :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    I love all of Tilly's noises, but the one that always makes me smile is her little snore. =^..^=
  • funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,350
    Forum Member
    Silence..I don't get it often! They are very vocal!!:)