Do you believe in God?

Comments

• Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »

Anyway that's all I have for tonight cos it's late and I'm tired.. But just one question... Who or what is Hoobastank? :o

It is believed to have been the middle name of Jesus Christ, but I wasn't there the same time as him so I can't personally vouch for it.

I think there is enough evidence that Jesus did exist, but I question about the fact he was the son of God. I can imagine he was handsome, very charming and very clever and was able to mesmerize people and didn't deserve that horrific death, I just can't get my head around people seriously believing it was all done to save us.
  • Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    It is believed to have been the middle name of Jesus Christ, but I wasn't there the same time as him so I can't personally vouch for it.

I think there is enough evidence that Jesus did exist, but I question about the fact he was the son of God. I can imagine he was handsome, very charming and very clever and was able to mesmerize people and didn't deserve that horrific death, I just can't get my head around people seriously believing it was all done to save us.

See it goes like this, prepare for logic:

God requires us to kill things to make him happy, why? Nobody knows. Like lots of cults, the Jews performed this ritual.

Jesus said he was the son of God, so this must be true. Jesus was killed, thus he was sacrificed to make God happy. Although he wasn't actually sacrificed, since that is a ritual, and Jesus had a bog standard crucifixion. But let's forget those details and say he went through the Jewish sacrifice ritual.

God was so happy that Jesus was killed, he decided to forgive all of our sins. Apart from sins that we commit. They still count. In fact all sin still counts, otherwise we wouldn't need forgiveness, but it's a nice thing to say.

So basically Christianity fully endorses sacrifice to appease God, they just don't practice it any more since Jesus made God so happy that we don't need to.

"God loves us so much that he sent his only son to die for our sins" is a complete load of theological nonsense, and not based on anything. If God loves us so much, why didn't he just forgive us?

In reality, potentially, a Jewish rabbi possibly called Jesus, created a small cult within Judaism. This rabbi claimed to be the son of God, and was killed for being a cult leader. His followers, like all followers of cults, believed him, and couldn't understand why he died, and so made up reasons for this and wrote them down.

That version of events is considerably more logical.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting points raised since my last post. I really really wish you could multi quote on mobile but for now I'll just say the point about "respect" for religious faith as apposed to fairies in the garden.

I think my faith is based on something tangible I.e. The person of Jesus Christ who it is widely believed exists. Not many people say the same about fairies as has rightly been mentioned :)
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave5158 wrote: »
    Strictly speaking, everybody who has responded, in this thread, is an atheist. Only some of us go a god further than the believers.

I don't think so.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I doubt his first followers in Jerusalem thought that. The dying to save our sins came from St Paul - who had a revelation that Jesus' death could be seen in that way. Well that's what I think anyway.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread seems to have gone all negative. Shame really.
  • Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Interesting points raised since my last post. I really really wish you could multi quote on mobile but for now I'll just say the point about "respect" for religious faith as apposed to fairies in the garden.

I think my faith is based on something tangible I.e. The person of Jesus Christ who it is widely believed exists. Not many people say the same about fairies as has rightly been mentioned :)

I am friends and have worked with people of all faiths, i believe in respect and tolerance

I was unfortunate enough to go to four funerals last year all people I knew well, one Catholic, one Church of England, one Humanist and one Jewish. I cried at every service and respected all the rituals that were followed out. I just despise all the needless violence and intolerance that goes on day to day about difference of opinion.

You can believe in God, the Loch Ness Monster or Fairies, I just think ramming it down people's throats and saying people should suffer for their God is totally wrong.
    I didn't even agree with those 'There is no God' adverts that appeared on buses for a while as I respect belief but I won't apologize for not taking part.
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    This thread seems to have gone all negative. Shame really.

Not really nethwen. There were many positive things said related to religion, to meditation, and to the inability of science to tell us what is correct to think.

All good.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    So you can listen to someone else reading 'the word of God' that was written by someone else who wasn't God?
    Not quite.
    Can you state exactly why he would have to be nailed or tied to a couple of pieces of wood and die in agony in the heat? How would that atone for whatever sins all the people who came along afterwards would do be it mass murder or stealing bubblegum from the shop?

If to tell us we HAVE to believe in something, then you should have the decency to explain why
    Look it up. There is plenty to read. All of them could explain it better than me. :)

If you want to be saved, you will need to.
  • imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    Well I might print it off and ask them to read it and say whether they agree with it or not before we set off ;-)

Whatever makes you feel superior.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see the faith bashing continues unabated this morning....😴😴😴😴
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daisydoes wrote: »
    I see the faith bashing continues unabated this morning....😴😴😴😴

You can't really bash faith though can you.

You can try bashing other people is about the extent of it.
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    I am friends and have worked with people of all faiths, i believe in respect and tolerance

I was unfortunate enough to go to four funerals last year all people I knew well, one Catholic, one Church of England, one Humanist and one Jewish. I cried at every service and respected all the rituals that were followed out. I just despise all the needless violence and intolerance that goes on day to day about difference of opinion.

You can believe in God, the Loch Ness Monster or Fairies, I just think ramming it down people's throats and saying people should suffer for their God is totally wrong.
    I didn't even agree with those 'There is no God' adverts that appeared on buses for a while as I respect belief but I won't apologize for not taking part.

I'm not quite sure I understand your reason for disagreeing with the bus campaign. Could you explain further?
    Forum Member
    bollywood wrote: »

That's true. As silly and illogical as "faith" is, people who have it can't possibly see that.
    Forum Member
    batgirl wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure I understand your reason for disagreeing with the bus campaign. Could you explain further?

I'm presuming that all the thousands of "God is alive!" etc messages are fair though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »

You're attacking (er...bashing) my faith!! Seems perfectly simple to me 😜
    Forum Member
    I'm presuming that all the thousands of "God is alive!" etc messages are fair though.

That's what I'm curious about. The campaign was in direct response to an evangelical campaign telling us sinners that we're going to burn in hell. "There is probably no god so relax and enjoy life" is a very mild and lighthearted reply, in my opinion. It certainly doesn't make much sense to me that anyone would disagree with it because they respect religious belief!
    Forum Member

Bolly is a believer, she would not "bash" your faith.

The rest of us are discussing religion. If you don't like hearing negative things about your belief, perhaps you should stick to other threads?

If you wish to discuss things with us, you're more than welcome :)
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole 'we're all atheists, I just believe in one less God than you' conundrum is a cliche by now, but like all cliches it has a seed of truth. At the very least, it should provoke the faithful into questioning why they believe in their particular iteration of God, whether it'd be the Abrahamic versions or something more obtuse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bolly is a believer, she would not "bash" your faith.

The rest of us are discussing religion. If you don't like hearing negative things about your belief, perhaps you should stick to other threads?

If you wish to discuss things with us, you're more than welcome :)

To be honest I'm done with reading such bollocks on these threads!! My faith is unshakeable yet it gets so tiresome when atheists continue to insult those with faith! 99% of the time all the comments are negative and it's usually angry atheists who are behind it! It's just fear
    Forum Member
    To be honest I'm done with reading such bollocks on these threads!! My faith is unshakeable yet it gets so tiresome when atheists continue to insult those with faith! 99% of the time all the comments are negative and it's usually angry atheists who are behind it! It's just fear

Fear of what?
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member

You are seeing faith bashing when it is not there.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    imrightok wrote: »
    As I posted a few days ago; do you feel it unreasonable for parents to set out rules in the family for the smooth running of the family?

If that rule is worship me or I will wipe you and your brothers and sisters off the face of the planet (as your OT God's rules say) then yes I would have some concerns about the standards of parenting being employed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    You are seeing faith bashing when it is not there.

Have you not read some of these posts??? Try looking at some other "religious" posts all you see is angry atheists
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you not read some of these posts??? Try looking at some other "religious" posts all you see is angry atheists

You're being paranoid.
This discussion has been closed.