VHS to PC capture program advice requested

DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
Forum Member
✭✭
A while back, I bought a VHS to PC (via USB) device a while back but only tried it recently, and saw that the enclosed program doesn't work. Naturally, the Ebay seller doesn't bother answering questions, and a google hasn't found anything useful.

Can anyone recommend one, please?

Comments

• TrajetTrajet Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have a stand-alone dvd recorder?

If so, it is easier to record vhs to dvd directly, and then rip dvd into any format you like.

You don't say make of your USB device. Difficult to help without that information.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you can identify the actual hardware device, then u can get windows drivers for it from internet, and use freeware video capture ......

...... on the setup disk, usually, u can install the windows drivers separately from the video capture software ......
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trajet wrote: »

Ta. I'll look into it.
    oilman wrote: »
    Do you have a stand-alone dvd recorder?

If so, it is easier to record vhs to dvd directly, and then rip dvd into any format you like.

I have one, but it's an elongated pain to hook that up, record from VHS to DVD, then put the DVD in the PC...., when I can just go from VHS to PC. I just stopped bothering to do the former, but it's easier to do the latter. Then I'll edit out adverts, make a proper DVD out of it...

(which I'll then probably put on a shelf and not watch again :) )
    You don't say make of your USB device. Difficult to help without that information.

I don't know it. It's just a USB device. The disc says "EasyCap" but nothing's easy about it.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have a look in device manager about its id codes as quite often these sort of things are generic and once you know its ID you can just download some drivers
  • PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cyberlink PowerCinema can do this. It's old, no longer supported, has a crap interface full of bugs and lacks many basic features - but it is able to simply capture from VHS (or any Analogue source) to MPEG-2 and this part works very well (it can't do scheduled recording however).

Plus, as a bonus, whilst the software is available as a free trial - you don't have to buy it, as the actual TV part "TVEnhance" keeps on working forever and you can simply create a shortcut directly to the TVEnhance program and ignore the rest of the PowerCinema junk.

If you're after something more feature rich however, with more configuration settings then it's best to look elsewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... the main thing is to have the correct drivers for the actual capture device. either from your installation disk - even if the capture program is no good - or by looking online.

with the drivers working, you can use any old video capture software. just select the "device" from list.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-streaming-media-recorder.htm

after you have captured video then there are many freeware progs to edit, convert format, make dvds, etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if u want a new device then I think aldi are flogging theirs for about £15.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... for making dvds, a good combo is avidemux to cut segments out of the captured recording, then dvdflick to make the dvd video_ts file for burning. just leave all the avidemux settings "as is", then import the edited avi clips directly into dvdflick.

if capturing from a broadcast, either recent tv or old vhs tape, then in dvdflick, remember to mark each video section as "interlaced", or you will get bad jitter on rapid movement !

avidemux also has all sorts of avisynth tweaks and filters already built in, should you wish to use them. however, any additional video proceesing will slow down the editing, which is otherwise very fast