UKIP Claypso Song

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the Red Cross:
    We will not be able to accept any money from the proceeds of this single. As a neutral organisation, we cannot benefit from something which overtly supports one political party. In addition, the Red Cross has a proud history of helping refugees and asylum seekers who are negatively referred to in the lyrics.
    Did anyone at Kipper Central ever consider employing PR at any time? :D
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Where did the BBC say they were offended?

Are you sure? They generally release the number of complaints they receive.
    stoatie wrote: »
    I don't think it was the BBC who complained about it, was it?

I had first read another source that said Mike Read had received pressure from those around him before reading this quote in the DM, so I stand corrected:

A BBC spokeswoman said Mr Read had not breached the corporation's guidelines on impartiality by recording the song in support of the anti-EU party because he did not present a current affairs programme.

The corporation added that the decision on whether to play the song was up to the discretion of individual programme producers. A BBC Radio 1 spokesman declined to comment on whether it would be played on if it enters the Top 40.

He said: ‘The song is not currently on our playlist and, as the chart is compiled at the end of the week, we cannot say what will be in the Official Chart on Sunday.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2802978/bbc-dj-mike-read-says-sorry-ukip-calypso-withdraws-record-shops-immediately.html
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    From the Red Cross:
    We will not be able to accept any money from the proceeds of this single. As a neutral organisation, we cannot benefit from something which overtly supports one political party. In addition, the Red Cross has a proud history of helping refugees and asylum seekers who are negatively referred to in the lyrics.

£8 million from the Department for International Development and more from Lottery funding for other projects.

No wonder they want to keep their head down!
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone at Kipper Central ever consider employing PR at any time? :D

They havent seemed to need it so far.

This recent situation wont harm them.

People are giving them the opportunities they couldnt dream of creating.

So you're a party with very unpleasant, regressive, small state politics which will negatively affect most of the working class, the disabled, sick and vulnerable and those who need public services. You also happen to want out of the EU so that you can better govern with those policies that wouldnt be approved of by the EU because of the degrading of human and workers rights. You're also anti free immigration.

Whats the one thing that people who criticise you are completely focused on - the immigration. Your detractors call you racist.

Whats the one thing that voters who are anti immigration or even 'racist' are not going to be bothered by? Thats right, accusations that your party is racist.

You throw in that your leader is one of the people, he's not a career or professional politician like the rest, and the fact that these apparently huge gaffs are made, highlights this perfectly.

Every single time UKIP do something that puts their foot in it, they simply garner more votes and popularity. Meanwhile stealthily gathering more momentum and keeping their other policies out of the media because all the focus is on their 'racism'.

Well done great british public.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Question Time and Have I Got News For You will be either highly entertaining or excruciating this week, depending on your political bent.

Would have loved to have seen this on something like Spitting Image.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    They havent seemed to need it so far.

This recent situation wont harm them.

People are giving them the opportunities they couldnt dream of creating.

So you're a party with very unpleasant, regressive, small state politics which will negatively affect most of the working class, the disabled, sick and vulnerable and those who need public services. You also happen to want out of the EU so that you can better govern with those policies that wouldnt be approved of by the EU because of the degrading of human and workers rights. You're also anti free immigration.

Whats the one thing that people who criticise you are completely focused on - the immigration. Your detractors call you racist.

Whats the one thing that voters who are anti immigration or even 'racist' are not going to be bothered by? Thats right, accusations that your party is racist.

You throw in that your leader is one of the people, he's not a career or professional politician like the rest, and the fact that these apparently huge gaffs are made, highlights this perfectly.

Every single time UKIP do something that puts their foot in it, they simply garner more votes and popularity. Meanwhile stealthily gathering more momentum and keeping their other policies out of the media because all the focus is on their 'racism'.

Well done great british public.

It's strange isn't it, this is pointed out over and over but what do UKIPs detractors do?
    The same thing again, repeat ad infinitum, and they just don't seem to be able to grasp what's happening.

I find it vastly amusing how it exposes the incompetence and stupidity.
  • JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    90% of the people in this poll don't think it's offensive. http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-news/petition-calls-mike-read-suspended-7976639
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just get rid of political correction. It is a total farce and is ruining free speech.
    Too many utter petty laws these days.
    I want our great country back :(
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerrybob wrote: »
    90% of the people in this poll don't think it's offensive. http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-news/petition-calls-mike-read-suspended-7976639

I am no fan of UKIP at all but I do find this "OUTRAGE" over this song a tad tiresome.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_One wrote: »

I wasn't aware that we'd ever lost it...

If anything's taking the "great" out of our country, then it's the ignoramouses and bigots that make up UKIP and the likes.
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »

If anything's taking the "great" out of our country, then it's the ignoramouses and bigots that make up UKIP and the likes.
    You're joking right?
    We've changed SO much over the last 20 years when we had no political correction, a lot more people had a better sense of humour. A lot more people seemed happier back then than they are now.
    Facts? Facts are nothing if all you talk about is research and statistics. Life experience is king.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Facts? Facts are nothing if all you talk about is research and statistics. Life experience is king.
    *Pulls thin cloak around shivering frame and puts another UKIP leaflet on fire from dwindling pile*
    Me, guv? Nah, never bothered with facts and figures, I just got on with life ....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to know exactly what it is that "political correctness" supposedly stops people doing. Apart from blacking up to sing Mammy, putting "no blacks, no Irish" signs in windows, or shouting racial epiphets at people in the street... what exactly is it you want to do in life that you can't do because the "PC brigade" won't let you?
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    I am no fan of UKIP at all but I do find this "OUTRAGE" over this song a tad tiresome.

I don't see any outrage.

I just see people not liking it.

In fact the only outrage I see is UKIPers getting outraged about imaginary outrage and getting outraged at the world not loving this cheesy piece of crap.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is within the law not to applaud and like everything to do with UKIP you know. One can even say they don't like it.

It's almost as if no one is allowed to say they don't like something UKIP does. As far as I'm concerened I just think this 'song' is pile of crap. It's as pure and simple as that.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,586
    Forum Member
    Just get rid of political correction. It is a total farce and is ruining free speech.
    Too many utter petty laws these days.

What sort of thing do you want to say that political correctness is apparently denying you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just like the question I asked a few posts above. I've spent years hearing people moaning about how "politicsal correctness" is supposedly stifling their lives... but not once have I ever heard anyone give a proper explanation of how it is. Apart from things that genuinely are racist or offensive, I can't think of anything that the supposed "PC Brigade" is stopping anyone from doing and saying.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKIP is a libertarian party

Now that IS funny, I suppose we must have very different Ideas of what "libertarian" means,
    What about a leading Ukip spokes person one Amjad Bashir Ukip's small and medium business spokesman, what about his ideas of being "libertarian"?

http://web.archive.org/web/20140429214324/http://www.amjadbashir.co.uk/

it seems "Peter" has a problem with the following,
    Working time regulations.

2) Climate change act.

3) Energy performance certificates.

4) Temporary agency workers directive (not yet in place).

5) Vehicle excise duty (reduce pollution)

as well as,

E.U. regulations depress the output of the U.K. economy by around £80 billion.

Employment policies which make it impossible to employ.

Are you hearing this? the following in the opinion of a leading kipper "make it impossible to employ"

1) Maternity leave.

2) Paternity leave.

3) Holiday entitlement.

4) Working time directive.

5) Minimum Wage

6) Flexible working directive.

7) Unfair dismissal (tribunals).

There is too much government. Only massive cuts in taxation and regulation can grow the economy.

and my favourite line,
    As a businessman I have seen so many roads blocked to expansion because of the rules and regulations.

Yes Mr "Business man" I bet you can't wait to get rid of those annoying rules and regulations like Maternity/paternity leave, paid holidays, the work time directive that prevents you from forcing your employees to work ridiculously long hours, the minimum wage that stops you from paying them next to nothing, the flexible working directive which mean they will work the bloody hours you tell them to or else, and of course you want to be able to dismiss them for whatever the hell you feel like, without them being able to drag your unscrupulous backside before a tribunal,

It's SUCH a pity Nige doesn't talk more about these ideas and proposals or allow you more air time, then some of the people who vote for you or who are thinking of voting for you might get a better idea of what a Ukip UK would be like for the average working man and woman, but you keep that stuff very quiet.
    concentrating more on the "bluddy foreigners comin here takin our low paid jobs, if they would just sod off we could soon have the British people's expectations reduced to the point where these low paid jobs would be seen as wonderful" bish bash bosh, loads of dosh, .... well, loads of dosh for 'US', the working class can indeed kiss my ....

and look, not a single mention of "Ukip are racists" so no opportunity to 'divert' and I urge everyone to please stop banging your head against the 'racism wall' those who ARE racists know they are, and calling them racists will make no difference, those that aren't racists but support them anyway have already either decided that they aren't racist at all, or not racist enough to deter them from voting for them, the racism ship has sailed,

We should accept that they are now a part of the mainstream political landscape of the UK, and treat them as such, because this is the only way we can properly defeat them,
    ASK about their policies on employment rights, on human rights, on the economy, on welfare, the NHS, the same questions that we have a right to demand any political party answers if they want our votes,
    Don't ask them about the damned EU pull out, because basically that is all they have, and all they want to talk about, it's all the other stuff that will shoot them down in flames.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ASK about their policies on employment rights, on human rights, on the economy, on welfare, the NHS, the same questions that we have a right to demand any political party answers if they want our votes,
    Don't ask them about the damned EU pull out, because basically that is all they have, and all they want to talk about, it's all the other stuff that will shoot them down in flames.
    Absolutely.
    It's facts and figures that they don't ever supply, or even guesstimates that they've done on the back of a beermat.
    How they will deal with issues outside of their campaign comfort zone? There's not a word on policies. Fair enough, all parties avoid precise figures, lest they are held ransom by them later. But there are endless problems and issues outside of their control where they need to explain where they stand and how they would intend to deal with.

Then of course, one of the big problems should they ever get any reasonable hold will be working with the system, because very few candidates will have had any real experience of the Civil Service, government and Regional heirarchies. And nobody is going to be giving them Ministerial or other important positions in a hurry.

It's their biggest weakness, and no political party of any merit should allow itself to be in that position or fail to be able to explain.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely.
    It's facts and figures that they don't ever supply, or even guesstimates that they've done on the back of a beermat.
    How they will deal with issues outside of their campaign comfort zone? There's not a word on policies. Fair enough, all parties avoid precise figures, lest they are held ransom by them later. But there are endless problems and issues outside of their control where they need to explain where they stand and how they would intend to deal with.

Then of course, one of the big problems should they ever get any reasonable hold will be working with the system, because very few candidates will have had any real experience of the Civil Service, government and Regional heirarchies. And nobody is going to be giving them Ministerial or other important positions in a hurry.

It's their biggest weakness, and no political party of any merit should allow itself to be in that position or fail to be able to explain.

Other political parties and party leaders are constantly questioned on everything that their party proposes and often given quite harsh 'grilling's' in the media, and on this very forum supporters of all parties are often criticised and question and often in a far from friendly manner,
    But the majority of kippers seem to think that they are being "picked on" when people ask questions or are critical of Ukip, as I have said before they are playing in the big league now, and if they can't take it, or don't have the skills to handle it, then are they really fit for government?
    So come on kippers, no "racist party" comments from me or questions about your one trick pony the EU,
    what ELSE have they got for us?
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Jerrybob wrote: »

You mean a poll set up by an outraged Labour councillor from Berkshire? Yes that's really going to get a representative sample of responses - 99 per cent couldn't care less is probably the actual reality,

Sadly in grey and miserable leftie liberal Guardianista land humour is no longer allowed unless pre approved by the thought police.
  • J LeninJ Lenin Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're joking right?
    We've changed SO much over the last 20 years when we had no political correction, a lot more people had a better sense of humour. A lot more people seemed happier back then than they are now.

"Political correction" - well that is an interesting concept.
  • crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »

You referring to alot of people! Lucky we havent got a liberal dictatorship which you seem to want
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As songs go it's not going to be contending for a mobo or anything any time soon.

As for Mike Read, well.... at the end of the day there's a lot worse things former radio 1 DJ's can get up to.

Mildly cringeworthy cheese best sums it up for me.

If it were a 7" single on vinyl, Godfrey Bloom singing a version of "bye bye baby" on the B-side would have made it better.
    :)
  • crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant wait to hear labours version!
    Will it have lyrics that include.

Hungry for more immigrants and
    We love war
    Gordon brown the greatest leader he loves to sell cheap gold!