Installing a new SSD

Comments

• Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    How much Grouty and where?

Ebuyer, £329, was £343 yesterday, and £353 last week, so was holding off for it to come again, as knew it would again eventually :p
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Just grabbed the Crucial M550 1tb, as its just gone down a bit more in price, will be here tomorrow :)

The final thoughts about that SSD are very positive on Tom's Hardware site. Saying this, it's about the 512GB one.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/crucial-m550-ssd-review,review-32910-12.html
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    Can't see any UK prices cheaper than Amazon at £327.

The 1TB 840 Evo is £299.
    Ebuyer, £329, was £343 yesterday, and £353 last week, so was holding off for it to come again, as knew it would again eventually :p
    Thank you, those are great prices, 1tb, wow! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted. Someone already posted what I saw.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The final thoughts about that SSD are very positive on Tom's Hardware site. Saying this, it's about the 512GB one.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/crucial-m550-ssd-review,review-32910-12.html

Yeah its highly rated the 550, good drives the Crucials. :)
    Thank you, those are great prices, 1tb, wow! :)

Already got the 960gb M5, but sick of having to transfer stuff over to externals all the time, when it gets too full :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah its highly rated the 550, good drives the Crucials. :)

Already got the 960gb M5, but sick of having to transfer stuff over to externals all the time, when it gets too full :D

Do you keep everything you download? Unless you're downloading full Blu-Ray discs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you keep everything you download? Unless you're downloading full Blu-Ray discs.

Not everything, its my Steam games that are taking up all my space.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and shes in, and running fine :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and shes in, and running fine :)

They're fast, aren't they? Unless this is the second SSD you've had.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're fast, aren't they? Unless this is the second SSD you've had.

Yeah they are fast, and its my second one in there.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought the Crucial M500 480GB SSD for my desktop PC which is getting a little old these days with an i5 processor but the performance improvement is significant.

The setup was simple attached SSD to spare SATA3 slot and cloned my HDD. My Windows Experience Index (not hugely reliable I know) went up from 5.9 to 7.2. After a few extra tweaks it went to 7.9, which I think is the highest score you can get, so pretty satisfied :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats all i done with my first SSD, cloned my Windows over, its a big improvement going from a HDD to an SSD, boot up time now is only around 20/25 secs. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats all i done with my first SSD, cloned my Windows over, its a big improvement going from a HDD to an SSD, boot up time now is only around 20/25 secs. :D

Boot up time for my system is about 13 seconds. If you've got Windows 7, that would explain the boot up time for your system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boot up time for my system is about 13 seconds. If you've got Windows 7, that would explain the boot up time for your system.

Yeah im on Windows 7.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If your original HD is partitioned into C and D drives, can you clone just the C drive (operating system) to a SSD and it will work?

Also if your system is Windows 8, do you need to change any settings in the bios?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your original HD is partitioned into C and D drives, can you clone just the C drive (operating system) to a SSD and it will work?

Also if your system is Windows 8, do you need to change any settings in the bios?

Just make sure you have AHCI enabled before you install the OS on the SSD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

I'm still not sure why that didn't work for me, even tho' I changed the setting to AHCI from the bios before installing the new EVO

The EVO worked fine having installed it and fresh install of Win 7 in sata mode.

I had to change to AHCI mode via a registry hack after everything had been installed.

It's academic now but I'm still curious as to why?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Cheers for the info, but isn't there also something I have to do if I am migrating an OEM OS?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers for the info, but isn't there also something I have to do if I am migrating an OEM OS?

If you're wanting to transfer the OS on your HDD to an SSD, you'll need a USB migration cable, or, you could buy an SSD upgrade kit. This has the SSD, a bracket to put the SSD in, migration software, and the USB migration cable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

I'm still not sure why that didn't work for me, even tho' I changed the setting to AHCI from the bios before installing the new EVO

The EVO worked fine having installed it and fresh install of Win 7 in sata mode.

I had to change to AHCI mode via a registry hack after everything had been installed.

It's academic now but I'm still curious as to why?

I've read on Amazon where people who've got AMD processors have had trouble when migrating their OS. I don't know if this is true though. I'm assuming you have an AMD processor anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read on Amazon where people who've got AMD processors have had trouble when migrating their OS. I don't know if this is true though. I'm assuming you have an AMD processor anyway.
    Ah, I do indeed on this PC although I didn't migrate the OS to the new SSD.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're wanting to transfer the OS on your HDD to an SSD, you'll need a USB migration cable, or, you could buy an SSD upgrade kit. This has the SSD, a bracket to put the SSD in, migration software, and the USB migration cable.
    An easy option is any cheap USB caddy and macrium reflect(free) as I discussed on first page of this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes cheers I have all that from the last time I changed the HDD on my old laptop.

But that one had a non OEM version of Win7 on it.

My new laptop has an OEM version of Win 8, which I gather has bios protection on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    An easy option is any cheap USB caddy and macrium reflect(free) as I discussed on first page of this thread.

Yeah, that could be done as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes cheers I have all that from the last time I changed the HDD on my old laptop.

But that one had a non OEM version of Win7 on it.

My new laptop has an OEM version of Win 8, which I gather has bios protection on it.

I don't see why an OEM OS can't be transferred to an SSD that'll be replacing a drive in that OEM system. Try entering the make and model of your laptop into Google and then adding how to enter BIOS. That's what I did when wanting to find out how to enter the BIOS on mine. I suppose you could try hitting an F key (working your way up) each time the laptop boots up to see which one lets you enter the BIOS.