Options

Microsoft unveils Windows 10 operating system

Comments

• Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Madras wrote: »
    Oh dear! Microsoft seems (to paraphrase a local expression) happy to p*ss on its own chips.

That wasn't Microsoft, that was Google pissing on Microsoft's chips.

Some of those videos had comments with stolen license keys and instructions on how to pirate Windows. Microsoft wanted those video comments to be removed. Youtube was just going ahead and taking down entire videos.

Many of the videos have now been reinstated.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am seeing quite a bit of criticism of W10 already in this forum. Is that really fair? I am not sure what people are really expecting.

For phones/tablets we have two major OSs: IOS, Android and a lesse used OS Windows (and other as well) but at end of day, they are all basically tile based touch to activate systems, with (mostly) on screen keyboards.

Laptops/PCs differ as they are fundamentally more powerful, and really need a keyboard/mouse to operate effectively. This was really the key point MS missed when they introduced W8. Forget all the rubbish re. Start menu (that was remedied by 3rd parties in milliseconds even at no cost).

MS forgot that the main reasons most business customers and many home user use laptops/PCs is to use Word, or Excel or similar programs which are easy to use with a keyboard. Try filling in a complicated spreadsheet on a tablet when the screen covers half the page!

Ultimately MS only had two realistic options (other than give up on tablets/phones altogether):-

1. develop an OS for touch systems and a separate OS for non-touch (keyboards/mouse) systems.

2. Try and develop an integrated system (which W8 was an attempt but too heavily touch orientated). W10 to me seems to be a good balance especially as it now (semi-inteligently) moulds itself to your type of device.

To me, the second option is the better approach - less maintenance costs, a single flagship etc. If you have a touch screen PC, you can use it in either mode as well (and even with a non-touch PC if you like.
  • Options
    White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/15/microsoft_dmca_innocents_hit/

"But the visibly shaken Naylor has warned that Microsoft could be clamping down on criticism of Windows and warns others to speak out against Microsoft."

Seems the main reason these Youtube takedowns came to light is that they did not cast the net carefully enough and " loyal podcasters and video bloggers received takedown warnings "

I don't do videos on Youtube but I'd threaten to sue Youtube if they did that to me.

Last time I looked, creating your own video showing a product in the background was not an infringement of copyright (unless the product was unreleased and subject to a NDA and even then it's a breach of contract (the NDA)).

If you wholly created the content, ie the video in whole including the recorded visuals and soundtrack, you own the copyright. I understand what it shows in the background is irrelevant from a copyright point of view.

It's no different to you videoing a concert and putting a clip on Youtube. I understand the artist can't come along and claim copyright infringement on the song (provided cameras were allowed in the concert) as the video content was created wholly by you. ie both the visuals and recorded soundtrack were created by you as your recording of the event.

Different from the situation where you use the song as a background to one of your videos. In the 1st situation, the content was entirely yours. In the other, it was part yours - ie. the video was yours and you backed it with someone else's musical content that you added after the recording event, making it your video recording + plus their music track.

I also understand you are also entitled to express statements of your opinion, provided it's clear they are statements of your opinion and not fact. If fact, then they have to be true to avoid being libellous. Your opinion can be wrong provided it's clear it is your opinion and not fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    I am seeing quite a bit of criticism of W10 already in this forum. Is that really fair? I am not sure what people are really expecting.....

MS forgot that the main reasons most business customers and many home user use laptops/PCs is to use Word, or Excel or similar programs which are easy to use with a keyboard. Try filling in a complicated spreadsheet on a tablet when the screen covers half the page!

If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

The reason many people use Windows, is because they like the desktop environment. That's why it's been so successful.

I accept that the desktop probably doesn't work as well on tablets and phones as an icon based system, but surely that's where a dual system or a dedicated mobile version comes into play.

However, bringing in a dual system that cuts the desktop down in use / features isn't the way to keep loyal customers in my opinion.

What I want to see is:

1. A return to the FULL windows desktop and Start Menu system as available previously (even if part of a dual system)

2. The return of the VIDEO DESKTOP as seen in Windows Vista. This allowed me to have a video clip of sport at my favourite holiday destination as a background - fa more interesting that a still picture. Since Win 7, all I can now have is a still picture unless I hack it and then it doesn't work reliably.

If Company IT Professionals don't like the idea of video desktops, then easy, enable it to be locked off.

Don't deny the rest of us the pleasure of having it!
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

2. The return of the VIDEO DESKTOP as seen in Windows Vista. This allowed me to have a video clip of sport at my favourite holiday destination as a background - fa more interesting that a still picture. Since Win 7, all I can now have is a still picture unless I hack it and then it doesn't work reliably.

!

Thats pointless. If you want to watch a video, use a video player. Even background pictures are pretty pointless. You switch a computer on to use it, not sit there watching the same video over and over. As soon as you open office, google, adobe etc etc you cant watch youre background video :confused: to call microsoft for leaving that out is crazy.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    shhftw wrote: »
    Now I've had a play. Microsoft are making me depressed.

This is NOT a 'good' version of Windows, not unless you actually rate Windows 8.

We have the Start Menu, but they've moved the Shut Down options - to the top of the Start Menu.

I'd gotten used to switching between the UIs (rarely I admit) but now the Start screen is gone, where do you put the live tiles? In the Start Menu that is already too big?

Control Panel is still deprecated in favour of the cartoonish f**kfest PC Settings.

So they turned off the hot corners, you can invoke the charms less unintentionally. All of which is already provided in the 3rd party fixes for 8.1.

Seriously folks, this is Windows 8+2. If people say this is good then all the fuss about Windows 8 was a shower scene (just a bad dream)! Windows 10 is great? Let me join the queue to blow smoke up MS' ass!

It needs to be a free upgrade to 8 to even consider it and why would you? Apart from another year's lifespan?

Microsoft have spent since 2009 treading water. It's time to consign them to the tech dustbin like every tech they've bought in the last ten years.

You have to remember though that the Technical Preview of Windows 10 that exists is a very early beta and a lot could change between now and the final release. Remember the original Windows 8 beta had a Start button and presumably menu and then it was removed in the final. Hopefully most of the bugs will be removed before it's released. I haven't seen the Tech Preview in action yet so I don't know if it's any good or not.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it isn't broke, don't fix it.The reason many people use Windows, is because they like the desktop environment. That's why it's been so successful...
    The reason they use it is that it works on the hardware they bought.

Linux sometimes works but companies like Nvidia risked the wrath of Microsoft if they ever gave proper support to other systems for that hardware.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth would anybody want a video as a desktop background? Apart from being just about the most pointless thing ever, it would be a massive resource hog.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    This can be done on any recent built of Windows using VLC.
    PathToVLCPortable\VLCPortable.exe "PathtoVideoFile\videofile.mkv" --video-wallpaper  --qt-start-minimized --loop

Edit the above acording to your requirements in notepad. Save as a bat file, then chuck it in
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found a super app called wintousb which allows you to create a bootable external USB drive with full W7, W8 or W10 installed.

Tried it tonight and worked fine. Very easy to do. I used 32 bit W10 using conventional MBR boot so I could use it on my stone age office PC.

It booted fine on my 64 bit Eufi based Sony VAIO when I set BIOS to legacy mode.

You can create a 64 bit Eufi version but you have to format disk as gpt and manually create partitions first.

I have not tried it but it is possibly easier to clone an existing eufi hard disk using macrium or similar and then format drives and then use wintousb.

W7 can be used but can have driver problems as it is moved to another diferent pc. W8 or W10 are more portable due to superior driver support.

This is a great way of testing W10 without actually installing on a PC or on a virtual machine.

Now the crucial test is to see if it will work tomorrow on my Bedrock PC at work!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found a super app called wintousb which allows you to create a bootable external USB drive with full W7, W8 or W10 installed.

Tried it tonight and worked fine. Very easy to do. I used 32 bit W10 using conventional MBR boot so I could use it on my stone age office PC.

It booted fine on my 64 bit Eufi based Sony VAIO when I set BIOS to legacy mode.

You can create a 64 bit Eufi version but you have to format disk as gpt and manually create partitions first.

I have not tried it but it is possibly easier to clone an existing eufi hard disk using macrium or similar and then format drives and then use wintousb.

W7 can be used but can have driver problems as it is moved to another diferent pc. W8 or W10 are more portable due to superior driver support.

This is a great way of testing W10 without actually installing on a PC or on a virtual machine.

Now the crucial test is to see if it will work tomorrow on my Bedrock PC at work!

Update - worked on my old laptop at work as well first time. Bit slow in starting, but reasonable response when in use.
  • Options
    BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    New build 9860 is out, you can get it by opening PC settings - Update & Recovery - Preview Builds. Pretty much does a upgrade for your install, to get some space back click search & enter cleanmgr.exe & then when it opens the disk cleanup windows click Clean up system files & tick clean previous windows installs.

The notification centre now shows with a icon just next to the system tray & there is now animations for some window actions.

Apparently over 7000 changes & fixes mostly based on feedback from the feedback app.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update - worked on my old laptop at work as well first time. Bit slow in starting, but reasonable response when in use.

Pre-prepared USB hard disk with diskpart as below,
    Then tried with a 64 bit version of W10 preview, using WINTOUSB version 1.6 and it booted from USB first time on a EUFI based Sony Vaio.

Only niggling issue was it would not boot from USB3 but would from USB2 - still quite acceptable speed though fro a portbale windows.

select disk 0
    clean
    convert gpt
    create partition primary size=300
    format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows RE tools"
    assign letter="T"
    create partition efi size=100
    rem == Note: for Advanced Format Generation One drives, change to size=260.

format quick fs=fat32 label="System"
    assign letter="S"
    create partition msr size=128
    create partition primary
    format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    assign letter="W"
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Sexbomb wrote: »

Though I have largely avoided this thread, I think thats a sensible course of action to take. Obviously with the enthusiasm that has greeted the preview, the feedback they will be receiving is invaluable. I suspect there will a fair few more builds before the consumer preview is available. At least MS is listening this time round, something it failed to do with 8.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not put back, that was always pretty much the intention.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Why on earth would anybody want a video as a desktop background? Apart from being just about the most pointless thing ever, it would be a massive resource hog.

I don't know, but I'm suddenly reminded of Active Desktop in Windows 98. That allowed you to have a webpage as your background. That was a stupid idea even back in 1998/1999. I guess it could be considered a predecessor to the W8 Live Tiles.

I thought it was due out in early autumn anyway?
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know, but I'm suddenly reminded of Active Desktop in Windows 98. That allowed you to have a webpage as your background. That was a stupid idea even back in 1998/1999. I guess it could be considered a predecessor to the W8 Live Tiles.

At the time most people had at best 56k or perhaps a broadband of 512k so it was a good idea in a way but the bandwidth was not there to make it work with things such share prices/weather etc which with the async manner of the connection would almost kill the link possibly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »

Not if you have a decent pc.

I could run it on Vista 64 at full resolution ie 1680 x 1200 and 30fps and it never impacted at all and I used huge video files - mintues long per loop and in the multi gb size range per clip. Plus it only runs when you're actually viewing the desktop. Bring a window up and it stops freeing resources until you tab back to desktop.

I had it when I had Windows Vista 64 and it was really nice. I was running a Core 2 Duo and 4GB of memory at that time. I had a looped video of my favourite holiday spot running in the background on my desktop and it was really nice to have that as my environment.

At the end of the day, if you don't have the pc to run it, or don't want it, then there's no reason to use it. That doesn't mean MS shouldn't have it as an option for those who have a pc that can run it or want to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, to get back to the more central topic, I've just been using Windows 8.1 and have read the list of changes in Windows 10. Needless to say I'm still not impressed.

3 of the really irritating things in Window 8.1 carried over to 10 (to my knowledge) are:

1. Restriction of available info / actions eg I recently wanted to associate mail with another program to allow it to open mail files. truble is with Windows 8 onwards you can no longer right click and get file properties.

2. Those stupid floating tool bars. Why is it easier or more user friendly to hover randomly over the top right hand side of the screen to bring up the search bar etc when previosuly you could just click the start menu and access it from there which was quicker and easier?

3. Retention of tiles - I understand when you go to programs in the new start menu, you get loads of tiles up across the screen representing the programs!! Why? Again mobile friendly, desktop unfriendly!

Windows 7 was really well evolved into a user friendly platform that gave advanced access to file properties and features, whilst remaining user friendly and logical for most and there was no reason to change it.

MS tried to incoporate something suited to mobiles into a one size fits all program and have failed in my opinion. What works for mobiles - nice big tiles to press and restricted info on view doesn't work well for desktops and vice versa. It would have been far better to keep Windows Mobile as a separate program and Windows for Desktops the same.

My personal plan is still to hang onto Win 7 64 for as long as possible and then if Windows doesn't revert, go over to Mac. I have many friends using Mac and there are many useful features plus once you get used to it, it's is user friendly, not least of which because it can run Windows in it's emulator giving you windows on the Mac platform.
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I installed the preview on my Windows 8.1 laptop would i then have to do a clean install when I then got the released public final version or could I just upgrade?

Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    If I installed the preview on my Windows 8.1 laptop would i then have to do a clean install when I then got the released public final version or could I just upgrade?

Thanks

I would expect you would have to do a clean install. The preview version could change quite a bit

Do not recommend installing over 8.1 unless you make a full image backup using Macrium Reflect or similar, so you can easily revert to 8.1.

If you just want try it, why not install inside a virtual machine using virtualbox or VMware. This is a low risk option.
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would expect you would have to do a clean install. The preview version could change quite a bit

Do not recommend installing over 8.1 unless you make a full image backup using Macrium Reflect or similar, so you can easily revert to 8.1.

If you just want try it, why not install inside a virtual machine using virtualbox or VMware. This is a low risk option.

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do agree with the back up, because you never know, but windows 10 have got a roll back, so if you do not like it you can roll back to your previous OS.

i should think that MS will make it as easy as possible for people to update and no doubt will allow people to update over the top of windows 7, 8 and 8.1 without a clean install.
    Not that I recommend it, clean install is always better.

I doubt windows XP and Vista will be able to be updated without a clean install.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I doubt windows XP and Vista will be able to be updated without a clean install.

IIRC you had to do a clean install even with Windows 7. Certainly from XP.