Options

UKIP Claypso Song

Comments

• Options
    EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    I'd love to know exactly what it is that "political correctness" supposedly stops people doing. Apart from blacking up to sing Mammy, putting "no blacks, no Irish" signs in windows, or shouting racial epiphets at people in the street... what exactly is it you want to do in life that you can't do because the "PC brigade" won't let you?

Everyone is racist intrinsically. It's a prehistoric reflex. I experience racism and prejudice everyday, but then again I'm male, white, middle class and a homosexual.

If political correctness does anything it contradicts and dictates what we think and directly what we say and has resulted in white people walking on eggshells for fear of offending anyone.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    It's definitely not good publicity. It's one more gaffe in a long line which, as you say, won't bother the people who are going to vote for them anyway, but it won't persuade too many more over.

The party's opinions, policies, language and attitudes are entrenched in the past as this latest event continues to demonstrate, and the number of public mistakes alone - which keep coming - make them look as through they haven't a clue what they're doing, It's more of the same, more of the same, ooh we won a seat, more of the same.

I find them hapless and hopeless to be honest, though I can see their appeal to certain sections of society.

It does seem that different sections of society like change at a different pace that is true. People accept change more if they benefit from it.

This could all be avoided if politicians did not insist on giving all their power away. They could then synchronise change with the mainstream section of society.

People vote for politicians who promise to regulate and efficiently manage immigration. When they get voted in they find they have no power to change anything. The voters feel frustrated at being ignored and lied too, so they turn to more radical parties that promise radical solutions.

UKIP says if you vote for us we will hold a referendum to leave the EU and then we will have absolute control of our border back. The people you vote for will then be able to decide exactly how many immigrants come here. That sounds a lot more credible to many people and they probably don't care too much whether Mike Read offends a few of the usual suspects.
  • Options
    JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    I'd love to know exactly what it is that "political correctness" supposedly stops people doing. Apart from blacking up to sing Mammy, putting "no blacks, no Irish" signs in windows, or shouting racial epiphets at people in the street... what exactly is it you want to do in life that you can't do because the "PC brigade" won't let you?

And don't forget if you fly our national flag from anywhere on your property you're likely to be told to take it down in case it might offend people from other ethnicities. >:(
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Jerrybob wrote: »
    And don't forget if you fly our national flag from anywhere on your property you're likely to be told to take it down in case it might offend people from other ethnicities. >:(

Who told you that nonsense?
  • Options
    pcawthronpcawthron Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Who told you that nonsense?

All the reports of banned England flags do seem to be at council offices, on council vehicles, council housing and taxis licensed by local authorities.

But there are an awful lot of such reports.
  • Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ennerjee wrote: »
    Everyone is racist intrinsically. It's a prehistoric reflex. I experience racism and prejudice everyday, but then again I'm male, white, middle class and a homosexual.

If political correctness does anything it contradicts and dictates what we think and directly what we say and has resulted in white people walking on eggshells for fear of offending anyone.

Really? Usually we try to distance ourselves from our prehistoric ancestors by talking about how "civilised" we are- when it suits us. I tend to judge people by what they do and not by where their ancestors came from or the colour of their skin.

I suppose this is your way of saying that racism is a fact of life and anything done to combat it is going against the laws of nature.
  • Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Delete. Posted twice.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pcawthron wrote: »
    All the reports of banned England flags do seem to be at council offices, on council vehicles, council housing and taxis licensed by local authorities.

They don't say anything about banning England flags
    .The new policy was outlined in a new document, with tenants told they will no longer be allowed to put up banners and signs – unless there is a national celebration or sporting occasion.

Cllr Thorpe told The WHT: “I suspect the flags and banners issue is just one of those rules the Housing Trust needs to include as a catch-all.

“I’d be disappointed if action was taken against tenants who might choose to fly a reasonably sized flag or banner, in a safe manner to celebrate a particular occasion.”

In response a spokeswoman for Welwyn Hatfield Council Said: “The Housing Trust will adopt a common-sense approach to this and will not enforce this tenancy condition where tenants are supporting national celebrations/sporting events on a temporary basis.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it is allowed some of the time what is the objection to it being all the time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Someone on Twitter showed the warning notice they had received from the Council ......I'll dig it out if I can find it...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is allowed some of the time what is the objection to it being all the time?

Well quite. In the US they don't seem to have the same problem....being patriotic is not considered a PC crime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't say anything about banning England flags

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=england+flags+banned

I picked an example specifically about council housing. In this case the coucil said:
    The policy on flags and banners, introduced by Welwyn Hatfield Housing Trust, says: “You must not hang or fix signs, banners, flags or other items on the outside of the property; out of windows or to balconies.”
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd add
    "Subsection b, Especially if it's spelled wrong or contains a spurious or wrongly placed apostrophe "
    :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I picked an example specifically about council housing. In this case the coucil said:

.... unless there is a national celebration or sporting occasion." (from your link.)

National celebration = England flags.

Sporting occasion = England flags.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .... unless there is a national celebration or sporting occasion." (from your link.)

National celebration = England flags.

Sporting occasion = England flags.

No special occasion = no England flag = ban
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nigel Farage's response to the Calypso song. And he's right. The left quick to condemn this but not so quick to condemn the events in Rotherham.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/attacks-on-ukip-calypso-show-just-how-skewed-peoples-priorities-are-9814360.html

To claim that a calypso track can only be written or sung by a black person is an inherently racist position in itself, but that's the world we live in now.

Common sense doesn't prevail in these situations. Instead, we're held to ransom by the PC-brigade and their selective sanctimony.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No special occasion = no England flag = ban

Ok, I wasn't aware that people wanted to fly the flag all the time.
    Wouldn't the reason for it to be banned at other times, be, because the place would look cluttered?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nigel Farage's response to the Calypso song. And he's right. The left quick to condemn this but not so quick to condemn the events in Rotherham.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/attacks-on-ukip-calypso-show-just-how-skewed-peoples-priorities-are-9814360.html

To claim that a calypso track can only be written or sung by a black person is an inherently racist position in itself, but that's the world we live in now.

Common sense doesn't prevail in these situations. Instead, we're held to ransom by the PC-brigade and their selective sanctimony.

Farage's comments are increasingly making me cringe.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really? why "white people" in particular? speaking for myself I can state that I am certainly not in "fear" of offending someone if it is my intention to offend them, in fact I would usually make every effort to let them know that WAS my intention,
    But with this also comes the wish not to accidentally offend someone that I don't know very well,

I have had and still have friends from all walks of life, nationalities, religions, and sexualities, and if they are good and trusted and close friends then I assure you there is not a lot of "holding back" when the banter starts flying, l but I do draw the line at one particular 'name' or insult call it what you will, I really could not ever bring myself to call anyone a Tory, there is just no need to be so offensive, (kidding just kidding,.... or AM I?)
    I prefer to think of it as good manners rather than a "fear" of causing offence.
  • Options
    CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Except he isnt right, and the fact that all he has is either reductio ad absurdum or is an ignoramus who cannot understand the basics of context should worry anyone who thinks he could lead anything.

I'll make it simple for you, no one said 'only Black people would write or perform calypso'

What has been said endlessly is if you are going to write a song telling all them their foreigners to piss off back where they came from, mimicking the accent and cultural music of some of them whilst doing it is going to appear somewhat racist.
  • Options
    EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member

Do/did the councils concerned specifically mention the England flag, or also include all national flags?
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except he isnt right, and the fact that all he has is either reductio ad absurdum or is an ignoramus who cannot understand the basics of context should worry anyone who thinks he could lead anything.

I'll make it simple for you, no one said 'only Black people would write or perform calypso'

What has been said endlessly is if you are going to write a song telling all them their foreigners to piss off back where they came from, mimicking the accent and cultural music of some of them whilst doing it is going to appear somewhat racist.

The verse you are referring too is
    Leaders committed a cardinal sin
    Opened the boarders and let them all in
    Illegal immigrants in every town
    Stand up and be counted Blair and Brown

So if this song is about the EU and free movement, i.e. 2004 and eastern Europe, then how can it apply to west Indians?

The reference to Blair and Brown mean 1997 -2010 only. West Indians migrated here from 1948 to 1962 mainly and no later than 1971, due to the immigration acts.

Illegal immigrants should be deported what's wrong with that?
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone remember this short running comedy series on Channel 4, last year:
    Anna and Katy sketch

In this example the alternative comedians present a fictitious show where they both have Caribbean accents.

Does anyone remember the uproar over white women with such accents?

Nope, neither can I.
  • Options
    Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hysterical nonsense like this does you no favours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Now you're making things up. Nowhere in the song does it suggest that.