Options

YouGov profile of SCD viewers!

RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I saw reference to this on a news website. The survey people YouGov have made their profiler available which allows you to type in the name of any person, brand or thing and get the "profile" of the people who like that thing, based on their survey sample. I've tried putting in all types of people and things and for me it just shows how wrong they can be, sometimes at least! I typed in "Strictly Come Dancing" and your typical viewer is a 60+ right wing female in social class ABC1 who among others likes The Carpenters and Michael Ball! Favourite celebs are "obviously" the judges!
If you want a laugh or a rant have a look, and type in some other "things".
I've got a serious identity crisis based on the things I like, so I'm off to get some therapy! :D

https://yougov.co.uk/profiler#/Strictly_Come_Dancing/demographics

Comments

• Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    I saw reference to this on a news website. The survey people YouGov have made their profiler available which allows you to type in the name of any person, brand or thing and get the "profile" of the people who like that thing, based on their survey sample. I've tried putting in all types of people and things and for me it just shows how wrong they can be, sometimes at least! I typed in "Strictly Come Dancing" and your typical viewer is a 60+ right wing female in social class ABC1 who among others likes The Carpenters and Michael Ball! Favourite celebs are "obviously" the judges!
    If you want a laugh or a rant have a look, and type in some other "things".
    I've got a serious identity crisis based on the things I like, so I'm off to get some therapy! :D

https://yougov.co.uk/profiler#/Strictly_Come_Dancing/demographics

Interesting. I suspect it is reliable.

So why are they chasing the yoof vote by way of inappropriate music?

Bring back Mantovani and James Last.
  • Options
    davegolddavegold Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So youguv thinks Strictly viewers are also Daily Mail readers who watch Wimbledon and listen to radio 2. Might explain a few things.
  • Options
    dippydancingdippydancing Posts: 9,428
    Forum Member
    Well out of the seven criteria listed there, two of them are right for me. Which is probably the same level of accuracy that horoscopes achieve.
  • Options
    TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting. I suspect it is reliable.

So why are they chasing the yoof vote by way of inappropriate music?

Bring back Mantovani and James Last.

Lots of young people already watch Strictly Come Dancing.
  • Options
    soexcitedsoexcited Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Hmm my daughter age 21 is a big fan and complains that certain dances should be danced to traditional music. As for me i am definitely not 60, and can't abide Michael Ball!
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should fit into the demographic. I do like Michael Ball (having seen him in Sweeny Todd!) and the Carpenters were great. However, I am not right wing, don't live in Yorkshire and definitely didn't work in health care! I like sci-fi books and films and TV such as Dexter! Where do I fit?
  • Options
    alan_tracyalan_tracy Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    ...So why are they chasing the yoof vote by way of inappropriate music?...
    That's the irony of market segmentation. The temptation is to expand your sales/viewers into other demographics. There's an assumption that you can take your original demographic with you, but push too far away from the original and you lose them. It's a cycle that starts well as casual viewers build quickly, but ends badly because nobody is so deeply attached that they care when it is cancelled.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davegold wrote: »
    So youguv thinks Strictly viewers are also Daily Mail readers who watch Wimbledon and listen to radio 2. Might explain a few things.

About Yougov yes....
  • Options
    DuckfeetDuckfeet Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Interesting - on the first screen, I match 5 of the 7 (not the location or the politics); going on thru the other categories, I've never knowingly eaten a suet pudding in my life, and used to date one of the Carpenter's backing singers - so definitely not a fan!
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its only a poll of the people who have stumbled across the website.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Its only a poll of the people who have stumbled across the website.

Yes, the YouGov site respondees are the starting set of people after all! Everything else is a subset of that.
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Does SCD actually stand for Strictly Compulsive Disorder?

Bearing in mind the marmite effect some characters has on some viewers.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate tennis!
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typically middle of the road, maningless staitistics. Nothin martched in this houselhiold.

I was a 'panel member' on some YouGov project a few years ago and had to endure monthly, or thereabouts, visits from a pollster who always used my electricity to power her laptop, usually came at an inconvenient time and always had to read out every question and the allowable responses. There was no provision for free-form or wild-card responses. (The whole experience was rather like listening to Tess reading her cue cards tbh.)

Basically, I had the (possibly false) impression every time that the available responses were carefully worded, (unless, as is typical in these surveys there was some ambiguity in some responses), to achieve the result that YouGov, or presumably, their clients required. There again, not only do I not fit any known demographic I am also very cynical.