Options

Series 1/5/31/Fnarg Episode 4 - The Time of Angels Discussion Thread

I can't make it onto the forums this weekend, but judging by the preview clips, this is going to be a classic. Can't wait :)

What did you think of the episode? 923 votes

Excellent
70% 655 votes
Good
20% 193 votes
Average
4% 41 votes
Poor
1% 11 votes
Awful
2% 23 votes

Comments

• Options
    jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I've seen of the clips, it's going to be a good one. The bit where:
    River Song tells the Doctor the Tardis isn't supposed to make that noise (after he makes a rather bad impersonation of it) and only does so because he leaves the brakes on

made me chuckle :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Way too early.
  • Options
    capt.shoegazercapt.shoegazer Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm assuming there is some forum kudos attached to whomever can start a discussion thread soonest?
  • Options
    outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    I'm assuming there is some forum kudos attached to whomever can start a discussion thread soonest?

Mais oui. :D

I've even stayed away from the new clips. I've seen the "leaving the brakes on" one (in BBC America's "The Ultimate Guide") but not the "scary" one. I managed to do the same for VotD. I don't know where my inner strength is coming from. I usually surrender to temptation!
  • Options
    RodaramaRodarama Posts: 2,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FNARG! (it's a fun word to say!)
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    afx237vi wrote: »
    Way too early.

not if you have a time machine...;)
  • Options
    JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rodarama wrote: »
    FNARG! (it's a fun word to say!)

I still like "First New After ReGeneration" whether it's true or not :D

SM'S clearly confident in tomorrow and next week pulling in as he has the "Alien" and "Aliens" analogy and if he's confident, that makes me confident and I've ignored all spoilers and preview clips outside of the BBC1 Trailer just to be sure of my own lack of preconception :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I am really looking forward to what I expect to be an exploration, or perhaps, expansion, of the concept or mythology of Moffat's Weeping Angel creations!

I understand that people will have some issue with River Song's "knowingness" - which to be fair, is a little smug: but wouldn't you be? When in that position? I know I would - perhaps an all too applicable fanboy analogy!

I think the time traveller's wife (for want of a better comparison) is a great concept to take the show into unexpected territory. All this stuff out of sync - very interesting for those, like me, that are interested in puzzle-piece narratives!

Fingers crossed for a good one. : )

Littleotik...
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rewatched 'Blink' last night, and Mr Moffat is going to have to excel himself to produce anything that good again!

Apparently this was the first episode that Matt Smith and Karen Gillan filmed.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    . . . tonight, I've got my fingers crossed. Blink is one of my personal favourites from the first four series. I think its incredible how many 'ordinary' viewers remember that episode and actually know that its called 'Blink'.

I've had a think about why I've not really enjoyed series 5 so far, and I think it's actually just because we had a very good opener followed by two weaker scripts.

I really enjoyed The 11th Hour, but thought the second episode fell flat. But, you know, even Moffat can write the occasional duff script and so that can be forgiven.

The Dalek story was OK, but I did have to remind myself that this was written by Mark Gatiss who has written two other 'so so' scripts ('The Unquiet Dead' in series one was good but 'The Idiots Lantern' in series two wasn't great, if I'm honest).

Tonight, though, there are no excuses. It should be Moffat at his absolute best. HIS monsters (indeed, his best monsters, IMO) and one of HIS returning characters (River).

I have high hopes that tonight's episode will turn around a lot of the fans - like me - who've not been particularly excited by series 5 so far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    very much agree with everything you have said there
  • Options
    Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    . . . tonight, I've got my fingers crossed. Blink is one of my personal favourites from the first four series. I think its incredible how many 'ordinary' viewers remember that episode and actually know that its called 'Blink'.

I like Blink, but won't join the Sally Sparrow fan club.

I think the reason why ordinary viewers remember the name of the episode is that the word is repeated over 100 times :)

But looking forward to the return of the angels tonight and River too.

Strange though that everyone he's met so far in this series has been expecting him.

Amy prays for help, he's there.
    Liz10 is waiting for him.
    Churchill phones him.
    Looks like River has recruited him too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    I rewatched 'Blink' last night, and Mr Moffat is going to have to excel himself to produce anything that good again!

Apparently this was the first episode that Matt Smith and Karen Gillan filmed.

Yeah it was.

I'm really looking forward to this I pretty sure Moffat knows what the audience wants with the Weeping Angels. And I doubt he would risk bringing them back after 'Blink' unless he had a really good story to go with them
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    I think it's important you read this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/2010/04/doctor-who-the-return-of-the-w.shtml

It sounds very good
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's important you read this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/2010/04/doctor-who-the-return-of-the-w.shtml

It sounds very good

Some of the comments people have left are rather pathetic however, one hopes SM doesn't come back and read them. I always get very cheesed off when someone starts a post "as a licence fee payer" !:rolleyes:
  • Options
    WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My only worry is about expectations being too high.

Look back at this time last week at the number of posts from people saying how wonderful VOTD looked and how much they were looking forward to it, and compare it to the reaction afterwards......

Let's hope it doesn't happen again this week, the forum will go into meltdown otherwise....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to this episode, but then again I look forward to every episode. :D Actually, I wasn't too keen on River Song in whichever episodes she was last in, I'm really hoping I find her more likeable this time round. But the Weeping Angels are back and they are simply brilliant!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this tonight too. I'm hyped by the suggestion that
    the Weeping Angels are bringing war!

Don't blink...

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    It doesn't matter how good it is there'll always be a sector of the "fanbase" who'll deride it.

I think it's gonna be fantastic personally. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Some of the comments people have left are rather pathetic however, one hopes SM doesn't come back and read them. I always get very cheesed off when someone starts a post "as a licence fee payer" !:rolleyes:

Oh yes, a true sign that the argument to follow will not be worth a read. :rolleyes:

As a taxpayer I somehow resist the urge to pop into the Neurology department of the local district hospital, barge into the operating theatre and inform the surgeon he's doing it all wrong.

The sense of entitlement is quite staggering!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the Guardian today:

'After the slightly 'skimmed over' feel of the new who, here comes this first episode of a roomier two parter where SM wonderfully builds on his two main contributions to Who lore: River Song and the Weeping Angels in the approapriately named Maze of the Dead-'its just a labyrinth with dead people buried in the walls'-

With expansive location work it achieves what British action TV has never managed before: it looks like a movie. An epic, scary, futuristic movie'

:):):)
  • Options
    floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    "FNARG! (it's a fun word to say!)"

Still have no idea what it means. Sounds like a Doctor Who monster. Beware the Fnarg! ;)
  • Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    What time does it start tonight please? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summer_ste wrote: »
    What time does it start tonight please? :)

6.20pm:)
  • Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    Thanks. Oooh exactly 3 hours. *Starts counting*