Options

"Lost" my DVD player

I hope somebody can help with this. I have a Panasonic DVD player with Freeview, and I can record TV programmes onto it's hard drive. I used to have an old TV, and this worked perfectly.

I then got a new TV (Technika), and it has its own Freeview receiver. From day one, I managed to somehow get the two things to operate separately, so I could basically carry on as I was before.

Now, somehow they have become 'linked'! What this means is that when I try and play something I have recorded, the DVD player shows on its screen that it is performing the action, but nothing shows up on the TV.

I have tried a factory reset on the TV (I don't want to do this, and lose everything I've recorded), and it still doesn't work in the way I want it to. So, it seems I have 'lost' my DVD player somehow, or it is hidden!

I know I have not been very technical, but I have tried my best to describe it. Is there anything that anyone can suggest to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is the DVD recorder connected to the TV?
    If it's by SCART check that the plugs are fully/firmly connected
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Yes, by SCART.

Everything is all connected, and all tightly in.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YAbY wrote: »
    Yes, by SCART.

Everything is all connected, and all tightly in.
    What may have been happening with the old telly was it was auto switching to the SCART input when you fired up the DVD. The new telly may have this turned off. Look in the settings menu for something like SCART control and if off turn it on.

Also look on the remote for an input or source button. It may have an icon of a TV screen with an arrow across one edge pointing into the "screen". Press that to either bring up a list of inputs and select the SCART the DVD is on or keep pressing it to cycle through the inputs to locate the DVD. Do this with the DVD on obviously. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The old TV was a basic model from around 1996, but that shouldn't make a difference.

Anyway, I've tried switching to SCART, and the screen goes blank, the it says "no signal", and starts counting down for 5 minutes.

I can't see an input on the TV remote, but there is an "input select" button on the DVD remote. That brought up a menu as if I had done it from the TV, and I could select SCART from there. That's when it started doing the above. Even tried it a couple of times.

Also, when I change the channel (scroll up/down) on my DVD player, it physically changes the channel, but doesn't reflect this on the DVD player screen, e.g. BBC 2 still shows as "1"! The two things seem to have linked themselves! It's still really the recorded shows I'm bothered about. Also, I can't get into the guide to record anything new.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YAbY wrote: »
    The old TV was a basic model from around 1996, but that shouldn't make a difference.

Anyway, I've tried switching to SCART, and the screen goes blank, the it says "no signal", and starts counting down for 5 minutes.

I can't see an input on the TV remote, but there is an "input select" button on the DVD remote. That brought up a menu as if I had done it from the TV, and I could select SCART from there. That's when it started doing the above. Even tried it a couple of times.

Also, when I change the channel (scroll up/down) on my DVD player, it physically changes the channel, but doesn't reflect this on the DVD player screen, e.g. BBC 2 still shows as "1"! The two things seem to have linked themselves! It's still really the recorded shows I'm bothered about. Also, I can't get into the guide to record anything new.
    Try this.

If the aerial goes via the DVD recorder unplug it and plug it directly into the TV.

Unplug the mains from the DVD recorder so you know it is completely and totally inactive. With the TV on use the DVD remote and press the channel up and down button. Does the TV channel change?

If it does then the DVD remote is controlling the TV and not the DVD.

If you tell us the model number of the Panasonic DVD that will help. You mention the TV is a Technika which is unfortunate as there doesn't tend to be much information on these TVs online. But tell us what model that is anyway, you never know..:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looks like I've found the problem - it was a loose connection. Found it when checking the aerial.

Thanks for your help!