Options

Data over IP

Does anyone know of a provider who you can use modems with? (I believe it's the T.38 protocol that allows fax over IP as well).

Any help's appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Options
    sean2003sean2003 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you just wanting to send faxes? Or use a service which connects at 56k?
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ideally a 56k service, although 33.6 would be fine, it's more data than sending faxes.
  • Options
    Beavis99Beavis99 Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd be hard pressed to find someone who offered this, as dialup connections are pretty pointless over broadband connections anyway. OK, you might connect to a remote location via dialup, but bear in mind that 56k is only available over POTS and only used by ISPs. Dialup point to point (eg, me calling you on your landline) will always be at max 33k6.

If you're going to be frequently connecting over dialup, I'd keep/get a landline as it's far more easier. If its infrequent or for a short period, use your mobile, though thats normally limited to 9k6 or 14k4.

B
  • Options
    Captain CodCaptain Cod Posts: 2,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this what you mean?:

"There a system specificially for faxing over VoIP, known as T.38. T.38 digitises the fax signal at the transmitting; the digital transmission is then immune to analogue signal effects. DrayTEL supports T.38, however both sending and receiving VoIP devices must also support T.38."
  • Options
    Captain CodCaptain Cod Posts: 2,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and my router has this feature: "Enable T.38 Fax function"
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I need a T.38 provider though, not someone who passes it through, it has to be a gateway. The problem isn't the equipment, the problem is finding a gateway.