Smashed screen on netbook

rehab_101rehab_101 Posts: 874
Forum Member
✭✭
As the title says, just cracked the screen, from the inside on my 3 day old netbook! Genius.....so cheaper to replace screen or replace whole thing?? Netbook cost £180.

Thanks

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make and model?
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost certainly the screen. Post make and model and I am sure somebody will be able to locate a suitable screen.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recently replaced my Compaq CQ61 15.6" panel. (£73 from amazon)
    My laptop is 11 months old. But I was still very annoyed with myself for breaking it.

The Compaq Maintenance manual pdf wasn't brilliant and I found it tough to find a better guide.
    CQ60 independent blog guide was more useful but not quite the same.

I think I managed with a single Philips #1 thin screwdriver in the end for everything.
    Magnetic tip or a tiny blob of Blu-Tack to hold tiny screws when reassembling.

All my screws had a triangle embossed beside them meaning 'for case disassembly) except those that had a keyboard symbol beside them meaning 'for keyboard removal'

Use a nice clean table and a newspaper, good light and sit by a radiator and lick your finger and touch bare metal every now and again to discharge static. Especially if you get up and walk over a carpet.

In my Googling, I found some units are easy to do. A couple of screws on the screen housing and carefully pop the trim all the way round.

Or (like mine). Unscrew panels, remove keyboard and pop surround, undo and unthread webcam and WiFi cables.
    Remove hinges. Remove screen assembly. Then pop the trim to get at the panel.

Use a CD marking fine tip pen and just mark connectors with a dot so you know how to put them back in (even if they are only supposed to fit one way)
    Mark any cables that could go in more than one connector. eg WifI antenna conns.

It wasn't too difficult. But then I am an electronic engineer.
    You should be fairly practical or ask a relative/friend to help and don't rush.

Oh...I did reassemble my hinges over their mounting point instead of under, so my lid now closes and leaves a gap. I will have to do it all again sometime.

That will be a good time to find the home for the one surplus screw I had left at the end.

Good Luck.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My screen also came in two variants. CFL backlight or LED backlight.

Check yours before you order.
  • IgniteIgnite Posts: 1,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be argued that as it's only 3 days old that there was a fault with the build of the screen? Are there any other marks on the case or is it just screen that is cracked?
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignite wrote: »
    Could it be argued that as it's only 3 days old that there was a fault with the build of the screen? Are there any other marks on the case or is it just screen that is cracked?

If you take something back with a cracked screen, they are just going to assume you dropped it or whatever. While the op didn't state exactly how it happened, I don't think you can get away with returning something you have damaged. If you drop a laptop and the screen cracks, that doesn't class as a build fault.

The ops house insurance might cover it. But might not be worth it depending on any excess they have.
  • rehab_101rehab_101 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks,

Its an emachines EM250 i think, not very good at these kinda things. Maybe KAV60 actually. This links to it though http://direct.tesco.com/product/default.aspx?R=207-8077

It was my own fault, had it on the breakfast bar, threw the post down on it, went off and forgot it was there, came back and lent on it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure this is the correct part. (couldn't see any variants anywhere)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emachines-EM250-1162-EM250-1915-Notebook-Display/dp/B003H1NU9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=computers&qid=1286295388&sr=8-1

Same company that supplied my screen (Cambridge accessories via Amazon)
    You may find cheaper but mine arrived next day and I like dealing with known suppliers when handing over my credit card details.

Or you could ask emachines.co.uk for a quote
    Part and/or fitting
    http://www.emachines.co.uk/em/customer_care.do?ctx1w.att21k=2&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&CountryISOCtxParam=UK&ctx1l.c2att1=17&CRC=2808971427

More details on your netbook at emachines.com
    http://support.gateway.com/emachines/notebook/2009/emachines/em/em250/eM250nv.shtml

Not very helpful site for detailed tech stuff

If you want to repair it yourself you may have to rely on a general guide.
    I couldn't see any Maintenance pdfs around for your model

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=laptop-screen-fitting-instructions&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&client=firefox-a&rlz=1R1GGGL_en___GB379.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need some guide, because Instructions are NOT supplied although they say so.