Tesco launch "Clubcard TV" - Free Streaming Service to rival Netflix & Lovefilm

Comments

• VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if these will be available? -

http://recombu.com/digital/news/skyfall-blinkbox-22-james-bond-films_M11200.html

Skyfall lands on Blinkbox along with 22 other James Bond outings

Heh! Skyfall not, but the others might be.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Blinkbox, no subscription just pay for what I fancy watching anytime - job done.
  • centauri72centauri72 Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clubcard TV has launched this morning (6th March).

Now available for anyone with a Tesco clubcard.

Not the greatest selection, inevitably, given that it's free but there are a few hits - Doc Martin in the TV drama section and Batman - the Animated Series in the TV kids section, for example.:)
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good article in the FT (registration required) http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/fd57961a-85bd-11e2-9ee3-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2LxcwsIgk
    Points include:
    • Tesco is targeting the family market hence films like Wind in the Willows.
    • Advertisers will be able to track if consumers bought their products. Committed advertisers include Kelloggs and Colgate.
    • Service will enable advertisers to target known buyers of competitors' brands.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    centauri72 wrote: »
    Clubcard TV has launched this morning (6th March).

Now available for anyone with a Tesco clubcard.

Not the greatest selection, inevitably, given that it's free but there are a few hits - Doc Martin in the TV drama section and Batman - the Animated Series in the TV kids section, for example.:)

Thanks for the heads up.

Just gave it ago and watched a bit of “James May’s Big Ideas” picture not bad, HD would be nice but can not grumble at a freebee.:)

The big, big let down for me is the “only available on PC or Mac”, this to me is like trying to re-introducing black and white TV.

I tried to watch it on an Android tablet and although the previews play when you try to play the videos proper a message pops up saying my browser is not compatible then pops up another message saying I need to install Silverlight so this is why it’s PC only.

Come on Tesco, don’t you know the World has gone mobile. If you don't get it into the various app stores I don't think this is going to go far.
  • centauri72centauri72 Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up.

Just gave it ago and watched a bit of “James May’s Big Ideas” picture not bad, HD would be nice but can not grumble at a freebee.:)

The big, big let down for me is the “only available on PC or Mac”, this to me is like trying to re-introducing black and white TV.

I tried to watch it on an Android tablet and although the previews play when you try to play the videos proper a message pops up saying my browser is not compatible then pops up another message saying I need to install Silverlight so this is why it’s PC only.

Come on Tesco, don’t you know the World has gone mobile. If you don't get it into the various app stores I don't think this is going to go far.

Press stories today indicate that they are currently working on apps for tablets and phones so hopefully you will not have long to wait. Personally I hope they will also in time appear on media streamers like Apple TV, Roku etc.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just raised a ticket with them re TVs.. hopefully their roadmap includes all the clients they currently have on Blinkbox...
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have signed up no problem but just get "oops we've done something wrong" messages If I click on anything once logged in.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    DavidT wrote: »
    Have signed up no problem but just get "oops we've done something wrong" messages If I click on anything once logged in.

Just out of interest, DavidT, what was the level of personal details that Tesco required that you had to give to them before you could join? Thanks.
  • ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I joined as well. The only detail of note was your postal address to send their clubcard. You could request no to three different questions asking if you want to receive emails etc. I don't recall anything personal.

They then send you a temporary card you can print, and that includes your clubcard number.

@DavidT, try a different browser. I was getting similar problems on Firefox and then tried in Safari where it worked without issue. Maybe a different browser on your computer may work better.
    Forum Member
    ovbg wrote: »
    I joined as well. The only detail of note was your postal address to send their clubcard. You could request no to three different questions asking if you want to receive emails etc. I don't recall anything personal.

They then send you a temporary card you can print, and that includes your clubcard number.

@DavidT, try a different browser. I was getting similar problems on Firefox and then tried in Safari where it worked without issue. Maybe a different browser on your computer may work better.

Thank you for that feedback, ovbg. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of interest, DavidT, what was the level of personal details that Tesco required that you had to give to them before you could join? Thanks.
    This may be relevant too:
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    Good article in the FT (registration required) http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/fd57961a-85bd-11e2-9ee3-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2LxcwsIgk
    Points include:
    • Advertisers will be able to track if consumers bought their products. Committed advertisers include Kelloggs and Colgate.
    • Service will enable advertisers to target known buyers of competitors' brands.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^Although in fairness you don't need to actually use your clubcard... Or just buy smokes with it since they have no advertising these days ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Points include:

Oh Christ, they're spying on our shopping now... .:eek:

No wonder they're offering this new service for free. Thats very valuable information for advertisers. And no doubt very valuable revenue for Tesco too. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ovbg wrote: »
    ^^^Although in fairness you don't need to actually use your clubcard... Or just buy smokes with it since they have no advertising these days ;)
    Expect advertising for patches and electronic cigarettes if you do! ;)
    Forum Member
    This may be relevant too:

Thanks for that link, 1andrew1, and here's the motivation for it all:

"The move comes as Tesco is re-emphasising its Clubcard in a push to revive its UK business after its profit warning in January 2012. It is seeking to increasingly personalise promotions rather than issuing offers such as newspaper vouchers."
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    Oh Christ, they're spying on our shopping now... .:eek:

No wonder they're offering this new service for free. Thats very valuable information for advertisers. And no doubt very valuable revenue for Tesco too. :D

I guess the thing to do, VisionMan1, is sign up giving the bare minimum of information, decline all offers of email/postal contact and leave the Tesco Clubcard at home so they cannot track your shopping habits.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think I will give it a miss,
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    i think I will give it a miss,

:eek:! You do realise, noise747, that you'll be missing out on free movie gems like Leather Goddesses from Phobos Invade Mars, don't you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that link, 1andrew1, and here's the motivation for it all:

"The move comes as Tesco is re-emphasising its Clubcard in a push to revive its UK business after its profit warning in January 2012. It is seeking to increasingly personalise promotions rather than issuing offers such as newspaper vouchers."

I guess the thing to do, VisionMan1, is sign up giving the bare minimum of information, decline all offers of email/postal contact and leave the Tesco Clubcard at home so they cannot track your shopping habits.

Oh don't get me wrong, I know all internet related/TV internet activity has been tracked for years. And they're all at it too. Which I accept and am not too bothered about block statistical analysis.

But I think to track ones shopping habits, completely away from the internet, is going a step too far. So I'll just give it a miss.

Hm, unless Tesco already sell the information on ones Club Card purchases? I dunno.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its free, sign up and use it if something is there you fancy, personally I give a poop about Google or Tesco et al 'tracking' me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    Oh don't get me wrong, I know all internet related/TV internet activity has been tracked for years. And they're all at it too. Which I accept and am not too bothered about block statistical analysis.

But I think to track ones shopping habits, completely away from the internet, is going a step too far. So I'll just give it a miss.

Hm, unless Tesco already sell the information on ones Club Card purchases? I dunno.

But you can just leave the clubcard at home. Then you get the free movies and you don't get your shopping tracked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek:! You do realise, noise747, that you'll be missing out on free movie gems like Leather Goddesses from Phobos Invade Mars, don't you?

I think I will survive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Its free, sign up and use it if something is there you fancy, personally I give a poop about Google or Tesco et al 'tracking' me.

Nothing to do with tracking, I use Tescos once in a blue moon and from what I have seen on the service, it is not worth bothering with even free and also, no point in it if I have to sit by my computer to watch it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with tracking, I use Tescos once in a blue moon and from what I have seen on the service, it is not worth bothering with even free and also, no point in it if I have to sit by my computer to watch it.

Nice to see your consistent negativity about all things continues unabated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vangeezer wrote: »
    Nice to see your consistent negativity about all things continues unabated.

Not being negative, just pointing out the facts.

I have used blinkbox in the past and the quality was not that good, it suppose to work on a PS3, but it is a hassle.

If you shop at Tescos and you have a clubcard then maybe it is worth it if you want to sit in front of your computer screen to watch it, but i don't shop at Tescos and I don't have a clubcard.

Tesco is not doing this for the fun of it, they want you to get a clubcard and do some shopping, i bet there is something in the small print saying that if you don't use your clubcard with in a certain amount of time it will be withdrawn.

i know with the Nectar card if you don't use it after a certain amount of time your account is closed.