Options

why is rap popular?

Comments

• Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crtainly i'll discuss it.theres not much to discuss though,rap is crap.thats it.

I think it’s a little narrow minded to say everything about it is crap..im not a fan of country and western music but I would never say that every c&w song is Sh*t and write of an entire genre just because im not into it…there are millions of people in the world who do love it.. so who is wrong me or them. If it moves you in some way then who are you to say that its rubbish to those people.
    Hip Hop music is freedom. Its a rebellious music.It breaks boundaries and it allows people to express themselves the way they see fit. No judges and no excuses. You can say anything you feel on a hip hop record, and then add that with good beats. It can be a form of political protest for the youth It can challenge power (a lot like punk rock used to in the 70’s) educate and open your mind and inspire as well as be humorous and entertain and make you want to dance.
    It has unified individuals of all colours and cultures all over the world. It influences all other forms of entertainment like dancing, fashion, movies, art, singing, poetry, DJing.. You can mix it with pretty much any genre of music..there are even classical and operatic hip hop records..
    Hip Hop music has no limits.
  • Options
    BurketteBurkette Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leosw4 wrote: »
    Amen to that. So many more besides. The Message is an incredible track. The lyrics are astounding. Flash himself was one of the inspiration's for the Blondie number 1 Rapture

From 1983-Gary Byrd-The Crown.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epEQhxslprE A lesson in perfection and ingenuity. As many of the 70s, 80s, and 90s act's where.

The history of rap/hip hop is fascinating, taking early influences from Disco and Funk amongst other's, highly influential in 80s genres of Electro and Break Beat, which in turn led partly to the early House records, which then created a sub genre of Hip House, which was massive for a time during the late 80s.

Its astonishing with this legacy that people can have such a narrow minded view of it.

Gary Byrd-The Crown is an amazing song both lyrically and the tune. One of the best of the "message" style rap songs is Nonchalant 5 O'Clock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saRt2Vhrvxc

Busta Rhymes did a great job with Touch It the remix taking features to new heights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDtn_FtU614&feature=fvsr
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why has rap become so popular in the last 25 or so years? its utter braindead garbage.every song sounds the same.absolute trash.mind numbing drivel,monotonus with the whole genre repeating itself year after year.yet there are millions of idiots who like this tripe at the expense of loads of other good music.complete mystery.

You're a moron.
  • Options
    cloudfactorycloudfactory Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Burkette wrote: »
    Gary Byrd-The Crown is an amazing song both lyrically and the tune. One of the best of the "message" style rap songs is Nonchalant 5 O'Clock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saRt2Vhrvxc

Busta Rhymes did a great job with Touch It the remix taking features to new heights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDtn_FtU614&feature=fvsr

had a quick look.its beyond belief how crap these songs are.as usual,they sound the same as every other rap song you've ever heard.monotonus,drivel.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It offers encouragement to people who can't sing, but still want to make a living in music, but can't be bothered to learn an instrument either.
    "Don' worry son, just chat along to this beat and tug the old todger every so often."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    had a quick look.its beyond belief how crap these songs are.as usual,they sound the same as every other rap song you've ever heard.monotonus,drivel.
    But I still don't see what you expect from rap??Rap is a style, like singing and dancing.Singing will always be singing and rapping will always be rapping.But in singing you have different melodies and in rapping you have different flows, so the artists change it up.And of course the lyrics are different too...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    It offers encouragement to people who can't sing, but still want to make a living in music, but can't be bothered to learn an instrument either.
    "Don' worry son, just chat along to this beat and tug the old todger every so often."
    With all due respect, the OP has some SERIOUS competition when it comes to close-minded, pre-occupied opinions on rap... I respect that you don't like it, but you're not even trying to understand it as a culture or at least as a style.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is, I think some people are willing to be open minded about music and try new things. Some aren't and will be deliberately close-minded about "their" genre.

If you're going to automatically dismiss any and all rap music as "drivel" then I'd personally make no further effort with you as it's quite clear you have no interest in even trying to broaden your horizons.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theres some good stuff and some bad stuff like all music, generally I was never too into gangster rap, but I liked the odd tune. I was more into hip hop.

I would say gangster rap seems to attract teenagers easily. drawn in to it's rebellious nature and it's 'two fingers up' to anyone who disrespects you style ,much like how a lot of angst music is popular.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    With all due respect, the OP has some SERIOUS competition when it comes to close-minded, pre-occupied opinions on rap... I respect that you don't like it, but you're not even trying to understand it as a culture or at least as a style.

No, I have tried. And I judge music as music, cos thats what it is. When someone explains the musical value of it to me, then I may have a better chance of understanding it. All the stuff about culture and styles is just so much bluff to get the attention away from the actual music.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's 'music' for simple minds:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    No, I have tried. And I judge music as music, cos thats what it is. When someone explains the musical value of it to me, then I may have a better chance of understanding it. All the stuff about culture and styles is just so much bluff to get the attention away from the actual music.
    Well, that's a matter of personal preference, but I really think that you're negative towards the genre.I understand that you may not be able to relate to the lyrics and as a sound it's not easy to get used to because the REAL hip hop is vastly different from the other genres.I just think you're not giving it a very fair chance tbh, but I can accept that you may just not like it...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    It's 'music' for simple minds:)
    Quite the opposite.Being able to understand and absorb so many lyrics means that your mind is anything but "simple" (simple?? :confused: ).Except if you're talking about the likes of Jay-Z, Lil'Wayne, Soulja Boy, Pitbull and Drake...
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    ^ Even Drake and Jay-Z's lyrics are usually more complex than the lyrics that pop and rock artists write tbh. Maybe not Soulja Boy and Pitbull though. :D

I want to facepalm at so many of the posts here though. It's really upsetting to read.

Like that guy who said rappers can't sing and can't play instruments! A lot of them are very good at both! Look at B.o.B for a current example, he's a great singer, and he plays the piano and guitar.

Me personally, for example, I can play the piano very well, and I can sing fairly well, yet I can't rap for the life of me. I've tried, and I'm just not talented enough to be able to write a rap.

You also have to appreciate that hip hop artists, as opposed to rock and country artists, usually come from poor backgrounds. They CAN'T AFFORD to learn to play a guitar. They don't have the money to take guitar lessons. Many would've struggled to even buy a piano in their childhood!!

Rapping is an art that you can only teach yourself. You never really hear of any rap teachers, or kids going to rapping lessons. It's a skill you have to learn yourself. For kids from poor backgrounds, it's perfect, since it doesn't cost any money to teach themselves to rap. Just time and determination.

Even if you don't like rap or hip hop, in terms of the music, you can at least appreciate it for its cultural impact.
  • Options
    AngelicPrincessAngelicPrincess Posts: 7,434
    Forum Member
    The era of really good rap has pretty much come and gone again. These days it is not very good at all. in the late 80s until the late 90s the best rap was about. I understand like all music it was not to everyones tastes. But these days I find it hard to listen to rap made since 99 since the majority of it is like most other genres of late, manufactured with the aim to make a quick sale rather than produce a good sound.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its amazing that so many people are so up themselves that they think that if they dont like or 'get' a different musical style, it must be crap!

i dislike rap and hip hop greatly, but cannot deny its a musical style that speaks to some music fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But these days I find it hard to listen to rap made since 99 since the majority of it is like most other genres of late, manufactured with the aim to make a quick sale rather than produce a good sound.

Let me challenge that view if I may :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IplgDTuQoIk
  • Options
    MikeyDLuffyMikeyDLuffy Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    If anything, this thread is an entertaining read hahaha.
  • Options
    cloudfactorycloudfactory Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let me challenge that view if I may :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IplgDTuQoIk

utter garbage
  • Options
    MikeyDLuffyMikeyDLuffy Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Agree to disagree, close thread.
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Each to their own. Some people hate pop, some rock but to label it as music for simple minds is absurd. I love listening to the likes of Jay Z and Kanye West and their lyrics are by no means simple. In fact, I'd rather listen to rappers discussing gang culture, police discrimination and gun crime than I would bubblegum pop singers singing about their boyfriends and partying. Rappers have a story to tell
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    utter garbage

i'm not interested in challenging your view because you're clearly being deliberately contentious and obstinate.

I'm happy to engage people who are more open minded about music, but people like you I'll leave well alone.
  • Options
    TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    its amazing that so many people are so up themselves that they think that if they dont like or 'get' a different musical style, it must be crap!

i dislike rap and hip hop greatly, but cannot deny its a musical style that speaks to some music fans.

Spot on!

For the record I don't like rap generally but there are exceptions - a lot of Eminem's stuff is great and I think Tinie Tempah has his moments. Most of the shite that's polluting the charts recently (IMO) is rap, but like any genre that doesn't mean all of it is automatically bad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that its quite silly to disregard an entire genre of music, but most of the popular rap/hip-hop today that i hear is pretty awful :(

I'm not a big fan of this kind of music but i bought an album called Illmatic by a guy called nas a few weeks ago, its from the early 90s; thats a really good album, i recommend that :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    starfoxxx wrote: »
    I agree that its quite silly to disregard an entire genre of music, but most of the popular rap/hip-hop today that i hear is pretty awful :(

I'm not a big fan of this kind of music but i bought an album called Illmatic by a guy called nas a few weeks ago, its from the early 90s; thats a really good album, i recommend that :)
    'Illmatic' was so groundbreaking.In my opinion, 'Stillmatic', his 5th album is even better.It has a more mature feel to it and the whole album flows very well.They are both classics!