Worst advert on TV at the moment (Part 9)

Comments

• Invent MeridianInvent Meridian Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if this has been mentioned before (or even if I have mentioned it) but the Nat'Yes' advert annoys me for one simple reason. The scene where the boy is on the staircase. He raises his head when he starts speaking during the scene and this causes half of his face to be blocked from view by a banister. The camera then moves slightly to the left to compensate. This is extremely irritating and if I was the director I would have done another take. I can only presume it was left in to make the advert more 'realistic'.
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    18 months on and Ronnie Corbett is still flogging ready meals! GO AWAY! :mad:
  • orangesmartieorangesmartie Posts: 3,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pnp63 wrote: »
    Now waiting for the Club biscuit ads to return and the shake n vac one too :D

The golden age of adverts!

Along with 'Who would you give your last rolo?'

in fairness, most adverts get on my nerves
  • Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 49 years old.
    I have never been into a McDonalds in my life.
    :)

Neither have I and I'm 51.
  • alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    It was an old 'You gotta chew' one with a basket ball player and a kid. Early 80s I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMpXqco7Zck

I thought that was a new add with an old film effect :o

The nutella For breakfast add really pisses me off, if i had my eyes closed i would think its a weetabix advert.
  • lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the MC Doalds, you can't say fairer than that, because the examples are so unforgiving its not funny
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    pnp63 wrote: »
    Now waiting for the Club biscuit ads to return and the shake n vac one too :D

Altogether now (to be sung slightly off-key):-

"It's all you have to do...............
    it's the shake n vac
    it's the shake n vac
    do the shake n vac
    and bring the freshness back" etc.

The last line has to be fiddled a bit as the songwriter tried to fit too many words into the phrase:D

Also, if you're very old :yawn:
    ........"Don't forget the fruitgums mum!"
  • orangesmartieorangesmartie Posts: 3,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really really really hate the talktalk youview box advert with the cheesy song that gets stuck in your head :(

although it does make me think of the Kevin Bloody Wilson version of the song... :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    It is a genuine old 35mm print which hasn't had the years of dust and dirt cleaned from it.
    Either the director's trying to telegraph the fact that it's 'old' or just too unprofessional and lazy to have it cleaned (probably all of the above).
    Back in the day ad. film prints had to be immaculate and they would never have been broadcast in this state.:mad:
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member

The nutella For breakfast add really pisses me off, if i had my eyes closed i would think its a weetabix advert.

I find it hard to believe 'more and more families' are "discovering" Nutella, Nutella was around when I was a kid (over 20 years ago) with Bruce Hammall (I think) saying Nutella was a "really tasty way to start the day", even then it looked like a European ad with a new voiceover.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The latest IKEA ad with the plastic people - the stuff of nightmares
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe 'more and more families' are "discovering" Nutella, Nutella was around when I was a kid (over 20 years ago) with Bruce Hammall (I think) saying Nutella was a "really tasty way to start the day", even then it looked like a European ad with a new voiceover.

Haven't the makers of Nutella had a slap o the wrist for suggesting its healthy?! :D
    Forum Member
    Wouldnt surprise me if they have :D
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I posted this elsewhere, but I have to add my disdain for the current Bold washing powder advert.

s it just me, or it it a terrible advert? I'm talking about the one where the son is doing something to his car and the father comes in all angry at him. Who suggested this and thought whilst filming "yeah, this is gonna work out great?"

For a start the acting is terrible, the two who are supposed to be playing father and son are totally unbelievable in the role. They both speak their lines like they are fresh out of stage school and this is their first acting job. (Maybe it is, who knows?)

Also, the father is complaining that the son has got dirty whilst doing work in the engine and under his car. I'm sorry, but why? How many mechanics does the father know who are sparkling clean after a day work at the local garage? Then he tells him to pop down to the shops to get some washing powder to wash his single dirty t-shirt? Again, why? Don't they have any washing powder at home? If they'd ran out, why didn't the father go and get some instead of swanning about the house being illogically angry at his son? Surely the son has other t-shirts he can wear and leave the dirty one in the wash basket. Why does he have to wash it right now? And why was it washed on it's own. What a waste of powder, electricity and water. Honestly!

It's a truly terrible advert. How it got passed by Bold executives for broadcast on TV is beyond me. I'm embarrassed for them. Someone in the board room has to have noticed how unbelievably shit this advert is and said something or maybe they were just afraid to lose their jobs, as no doubt Bold spent a lot of money on it.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »

It possibly is a European add, the French seem to be mad on the stuff.
  • Futurama-FanFuturama-Fan Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    I posted this elsewhere, but I have to add my disdain for the current Bold washing powder advert.

s it just me, or it it a terrible advert? I'm talking about the one where the son is doing something to his car and the father comes in all angry at him. Who suggested this and thought whilst filming "yeah, this is gonna work out great?"

For a start the acting is terrible, the two who are supposed to be playing father and son are totally unbelievable in the role. They both speak their lines like they are fresh out of stage school and this is their first acting job. (Maybe it is, who knows?)

Also, the father is complaining that the son has got dirty whilst doing work in the engine and under his car. I'm sorry, but why? How many mechanics does the father know who are sparkling clean after a day work at the local garage? Then he tells him to pop down to the shops to get some washing powder to wash his single dirty t-shirt? Again, why? Don't they have any washing powder at home? If they'd ran out, why didn't the father go and get some instead of swanning about the house being illogically angry at his son? Surely the son has other t-shirts he can wear and leave the dirty one in the wash basket. Why does he have to wash it right now? And why was it washed on it's own. What a waste of powder, electricity and water. Honestly!

It's a truly terrible advert. How it got passed by Bold executives for broadcast on TV is beyond me. I'm embarrassed for them. Someone in the board room has to have noticed how unbelievably shit this advert is and said something or maybe they were just afraid to lose their jobs, as no doubt Bold spent a lot of money on it.

The reason it got past the executives is because this a just another advert trading in 1980's nostalgia, except this time it is a newly made advert (unlike nestle who have used old Kit-Kat & Fruit Pastilles adverts and Milky Way with the Red Vs Blue car advert - both ads from the mid to late 80's).

In the original Bold adverts from the 1980's this is the usual set-up between a mid to late teenage daughter and her mother:-

Daughter - 'Mum, I've somehow spilt something on my favourite dress/jeans/t-shirt.'
    Mum - 'Better get down to the shop.'
    [Mother & Daughter in shop in the Washing Powder section]
    Daughter - 'Right mum, I've got the washing powder and the fabric softener.'
    Mum - 'Both be silly, get Bold - it's 2 in 1 - that'll save us a few pounds.'

If my memory serves me right this ad campaign ran from the mid 80's to the early 90's. In the later years the daughter in the ads would tell the mother off for not buy the 2-in-1 Bold.

The only reason I can see why Bold would make new adverts (with a father and son) using this old set-up is because they want to tap into the 80's nostalgia thing, but would fear being branded sexist if they re-aired the old ads 2 women debating the most economical way to do the family washing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Admiral's new Multicar advert featuring that awful song.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised I haven't seen a mention for Green Flag's staggeringly over-the-top drama/worldwide newscast about 'James Bolton' breaking down in his car and missing baby Dylan's bathtime...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised I haven't seen a mention for Green Flag's staggeringly over-the-top drama/worldwide newscast about 'James Bolton' breaking down in his car and missing baby Dylan's bathtime...

You're right, actually, that is pretty bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a specific advert as I don't watch enough TV to latch onto current ads, but anything where:

a) An unfeasibly fat, stupid, always unshaved because he's a slob, let-himself-go husband/boyfriend has a slim, pretty and bright wife/girlfriend.

b) Men are portrayed as useless idiots who can hardly get out of bed unaided without killing themselves. i.e...

Thicko hubby comes home from the shops... with all the wrong stuff! Attractive wife rolls her eyes. Thicko hubby tries to unblock the sink.. and nearly demolishes the house! Attractive wife rolls her eyes. Thicko hubby puts arsenic and sulphuric acid on his cornflakes! Attractive wife rolls her eyes. Etc etc.

People used to be offended by dumb blonde female stereotypes in adverts, but now men are being universally treated as idiots. It's just as bad, but marketing agencies obviously think it's cool, or cute, or something.
    Forum Member
    I remember the Bold 2 in 1 ads ("money waster eh?") in the 80's/90's, terrible adverts.
    IIRC they also featured one with a son too, as if he's thinking that saving £1 or whatever on Bold 2 in 1 offsets the costs of designer jeans or some other BS :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Not a specific advert as I don't watch enough TV to latch onto current ads, but anything where:

a) An unfeasibly fat, stupid, always unshaved because he's a slob, let-himself-go husband/boyfriend has a slim, pretty and bright wife/girlfriend.

b) Men are portrayed as useless idiots who can hardly get out of bed unaided without killing themselves. i.e...

Thicko hubby comes home from the shops... with all the wrong stuff! Attractive wife rolls her eyes. Thicko hubby tries to unblock the sink.. and nearly demolishes the house! Attractive wife rolls her eyes. Thicko hubby puts arsenic and sulphuric acid on his cornflakes! Attractive wife rolls her eyes. Etc etc.

People used to be offended by dumb blonde female stereotypes in adverts, but now men are being universally treated as idiots. It's just as bad, but marketing agencies obviously think it's cool, or cute, or something.

I know that Yorkie ad (Man Fuel for Man Stuff) is taking the piss out of those male-female stereotypes but I'd expect at least a "thank you" if I'd been carrying all that shopping plus a baguette, and somehow managed to open the door with a single key, without dropping anything!
  • lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The galaxy ad with the insult to the great Audrey Hepburn. It's so creepy and insulting to her
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Be more dog".

OK, it's one way of advertising pet food I suppose....whaaaa...?!!!? It's for O2?!!? What the f£$k?!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

They're all fat slobs because there seems to be no slimming/heath food-vitamin ads for men, only for women.
This discussion has been closed.