Ascension

SyFy's new mini series is to me shown (US Pace) Monday to Wednesday next week, hopefully it will be a return to form for the channel which has had no space based shows in recent times.

http://www.syfy.com/ascension

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascension_(TV_series)

Comments

• Paul555Paul555 Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    SyFy's new mini series is to me shown (US Pace) Monday to Wednesday next week, hopefully it will be a return to form for the channel which has had no space based shows in recent times.

http://www.syfy.com/ascension

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascension_(TV_series)

Looking forward to this one. We need some more space based shows. Just hoping that it's good!

Certainly has potential anyway
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Well.. that was something. Wasn't expecting the murder mystery, thought I was watching the wrong show for a minute.

and didn't see that ending coming at the end of the 1st episode at all.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    Well.. that was something. Wasn't expecting the murder mystery, thought I was watching the wrong show for a minute.

Loved the ending, not sure what is happening but it is better than I thought might be happening.

Hope it is not just a murder mystery show, wrapped up in a scifi show.
  • MacBurpMacBurp Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Just watched the second part. I think the big unveil will be
    genetic engineering.

Liked the reference to
    50s/60s sf writers
    in the crew.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MacBurp wrote: »
    Just watched the second part. I think the big unveil will be
    genetic engineering.

Liked the reference to
    50s/60s sf writers
    in the crew.

I think
    The name of the show and the ship is a clue to what is happening.

They are trying to create a new level of human evolution, which is why the girl seems to be displaying supernatural abilities such as telekinesis and the ability to see things she couldn't know.

A better idea for a show than just a ship sent out in th past.
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think
    The name of the show and the ship is a clue to what is happening.

They are trying to create a new level of human evolution, which is why the girl seems to be displaying supernatural abilities such as telekinesis and the ability to see things she couldn't know.

A better idea for a show than just a ship sent out in th past.

What I like is seeing something intriguing. I have heard the producers want to do about 5 seasons. Sounds right as I can't see them wrapping up everything in one episode.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I knew something was up since the Ship and Earth were seemingly in instantaneous communication yet we were told all the technology to build the Ship was available in the 1960's.

I did think for a while with the Little Girl thinking someone/thing was watching them that we might be getting some alien involvement.

How is the Girl aware of the Observers though, telepathic or just somehow found out about them (before seeing the Man in her quarters).

The fake space mission (to test mans reaction to long periods in Space or for some other reason) is of course not new with a number of stories based on the idea and I'm sure the Outer Limits or Twilight Zone will have done an episode based on it but I can't recall a version where it's done with a Generation Ship which is a nice twist.

I see Ep 2 is out will watch that tomorrow.
  • jette52jette52 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    twin peaks meets goliath awaits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last episode review so spoilers if you haven't seen it.

Oh come on!!! Such a good idea, gone out with a whimper.

Up to the bit where the 'StarChild' (rolleyes x 1000), did her bit, it was good but then it was like they found out they were canceled and turned into a mini series and thought 'Might as well not waste our time putting any more effort into it'.

It could have been such a great story about human evolution and what is life about, but instead we get silly affairs about who is shagging who and mysterious organisations running shady things, and most of the last episode wasted saving the ship from a normal problem rather than a more meaningful one.

rolleyes.

As soon as they said 'Star Child' I knew it was going to be one big middle finger up to the viewers. :(
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite enjoyed this. It looks like the numbers are okay so Syfy might give it another series. I was intrigued at the end and would like to see more.
  • Mairi_CameronMairi_Cameron Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Yet again a visit to these forums resulted in me discovering a programme I'd have completely missed otherwise, what a great place this is. I had an Ascension marathon today, watched them all back to back. I didn't plan to but after seeing the first one there was no way I was going to stop.

I realise the concept isn't new but it's been done in a different way to anything similar that I've seen. I thought the cast were great, predisposed to like Gil Bellows anyway but I didn't think anyone let the side down. On the whole a pretty good piece of televisual entertainment.

I'd quite like another series, what happens to Stokes, where did Galt end up (another planet, a different time etc) but if they don't give us anymore it's actually quite refreshing to be left with questions, not everything has to be neatly wrapped all the time!
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was hooked on this until the third episode. I didn't care for the lights out; them rushing around, when they could've been let out (even from their perspective) didn't connect with me.

Also, the show kept introducing too many plot threads: Who was the inside man, Black guy cheating the system, true aim of the programme? When I realised this wasn't going to be resolved, as I had assumed would be, with it being a '3 Day Event'. I became slightly disinterested.

But overall, it was entertaining. Guessed the twist early on but that wasn't a problem.
  • GibraltarianGibraltarian Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Just bingewatched on this and loved it.

Whilst I was expecting a space set opera, I quite liked the big reveal at the end of the first part. It was completely unexpected, and I love it when a TV show does something unexpected on me - I watch loads of procedurals and hate how you can spot the killer most times right from the first moment they appear on scene!

I found part 2 slower, but it picked up and kept me watching.

And then part 3 was quite exciting. I really got caught up in the whole emergency situation on board the ship and outside too. Agian, I was quite liking the idea of the three going "Snowden" to have the show surprise me agian by pulling an almighty plot twist. It will be interesting to see how Stokes survives on his own, and what he will do once he is out there. Shame to see the Spook woman killed though.

And then the finale - a complete WTF ending baiting us into asking for more! As a previous poster mentioned, I think the series works quite well as a limited series - even with the WTF ending and all those answers in the air, but Id definitely like to see more of this.

Don't know how a weekly series might work though. Ive also read they have a 5 year plan so I can imagine the premise evolving into something else progressively. Perhaps they do all end up in space at some point?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps they do all end up in space at some point?!

Well Harris certainly seems to think so as he said as much after killing his Boss.

I'm guessing if it does go to a series we'll have Christa working with the earth people (probably not totally willingly) start sending people and equipment to whatever planet* she sent Gault to.

Interesting that we never saw if the company man ended up on the planet with Gault. Did he appear unseen a little distance away or did he not actually get there.

If the latter it could be that Christa (subconsciously at least) made sure he didn't survive the trip or it's only possible for the members of the Crew (due to some genetic modification) to survive such a trip.

*Probably not one orbiting Proxima Centauri as there was that scene where she said IIRC they would all die if they went there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ascension picked up by Sky who will be showing it on Friday 16th January at 9pm on Sky 1.

Might help it get renewed.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I swore blind the announce said coming January 2016!!!!!!???????:o Thought WHAT????? No way.:D
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Well.. that was something.
    Wasn't it just? Wasn't at all what I expected it to be, though I enjoyed it all the same.
    Loved the ending, not sure what is happening but it is better than I thought might be happening.
    I thought teleportation?
    007Fusion wrote: »
    Also, the show kept introducing too many plot threads: Who was the inside man, Black guy cheating the system, true aim of the programme?
    I thought these were all answered, bar the black guy cheating the system (not sure what you mean there?)

The Inside Man was the Doctors Husband (Nora's Dad), and the aim of the programme was supposedly to reach a new evolutionary state through means not entirely explained to us.

One that that I didn't get, when the girl (the young one) was in a state of shock, and the doctor and that other woman were on about their destination (Proxima - represented in red) the young girl clearly stated that they can't go there, else they'd die, and that they must instead alter course and go to the other location (represented in blue).

If the ship wasn't actually going anywhere, then what is the blue nebula-themed area she was intent on us traveling too?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I thought teleportation?

Not sure if you misunderstood, but my reply was about the ending of the first episode, when the bloke was 'spaced'.

I just meant that
    I was glad the show was about more than than just a ship going to another planet, which is what we were lead to believe the show was about.

In fact I almost had an orgasm when I realised the show might even be about the 100th Monkey Theory, which I hope they will explore if the series is renewed.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »

I thought these were all answered, bar the black guy cheating the system (not sure what you mean there?)

The Inside Man was the Doctors Husband (Nora's Dad), and the aim of the programme was supposedly to reach a new evolutionary state through means not entirely explained to us.

One that that I didn't get, when the girl (the young one) was in a state of shock, and the doctor and that other woman were on about their destination (Proxima - represented in red) the young girl clearly stated that they can't go there, else they'd die, and that they must instead alter course and go to the other location (represented in blue).

If the ship wasn't actually going anywhere, then what is the blue nebula-themed area she was intent on us traveling too?

Not convinced. They showed his wrists and he had no recent cuts. Nor was the blood test followed up.

Gault (as I suspect others) has been cheating the system. His ascension to his position, was mentioned as being very swift. And almost unheard of considering he was from the lower decks. I suspected he was the Inside Man.

The breeding was part of the aim, but there were more aspects to it. I can't remember what specifically was in my thoughts, without jogging my memory.

On your query. I think the place that Gault teleported to, is where she was referring to. So if they were travelling via a real spacecraft, that's where they'd need to be heading to reach their destination. I believe it's either another dimension or planet, only accessiable by those born within the programme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    Not convinced. They showed his wrists and he had no recent cuts. Nor was the blood test followed up.

Were you not convinced by

- Him knowing the number to get an outside line to Earth
    - him distracting James from watching Alf on the Monitor and then pulling the wires to stop anyone else seeing it.
    - him admitting he killed Lorelai for the sake of the experiment
    - him looking directly at the camera after Christa mentioned 9/11 and the Kennedy assassination.
    - Him being the one to run the blood test and thus be able to make up any result he liked and put the blame on the trainee Doctor.

etc

Of course he may not be the only Inside Man but he is certainly an Inside Man.

The question of course is how he was recruited. His Father must have been the original (or one of) Inside Man and he was probably told the truth when he was a teenager.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Interesting that we never saw if the company man ended up on the planet with Gault. Did he appear unseen a little distance away or did he not actually get there.

One theory I saw was that she used his body to provide the nuclear energy needed to teleport Gault.