Options

Could you have survived in auswtich?

mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
Forum Member
or any camp......Maybe a stupid question or a rhetorical one as most were killed as they arrived.
Just if you were the chosen one to live, could you survive that environment. The smell, diseases, lice, infections, abuse, sleeping in a spoon position as there was no room, bodies around.
Who knows until you have the situation.Not sure if i could.

Comments

• Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    No!

We were shown some film(s) of the camps in General Studies when I was at college and the POWs were little more than living skeletons.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't do hunger or abuse very well.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon I might have escaped, I spent my whole childhood sneaking in or out of places and I'd see it as a challenge
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Definitely not. I think sooner or later I would have escaped or died.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes its a pity they couldnt all rise up and try and kill the guards. Wonder if some did rebel. I would have thrown myself on the electric fence or try did a tunnel
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I would not
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Yes its a pity they couldnt all rise up and try and kill the guards. Wonder if some did rebel. I would have thrown myself on the electric fence or try did a tunnel

There was a rebellion at one point. Would have to check the details.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With respect, this is rather a facile discussion.

Nobody on here can even remotely conceive what it was like, nor whether the human instinct for survival would have overcome all. I doubt it. Nothing could have saved you had you have been in a deathcamp.

I've been to Auschwitz, and it's harrowing even when empty, and in the case of Birkenau, purely a ruin.
  • Options
    jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having been there just before Christmas I am surprised anybody survived there. I have to honestly state that it was very emotional and the scale of these camps is breath taking . Also the allies knew about them and did nothing. The Russians actually sat in Krakow for 3 weeks before entering Auschwitz and all the Nazis escaped and thousands of inmates sent on the long death match to Dachau.

If there is something you must do before you die a visit to Auschwitz is a must

It is a permanent reminder to all , no matter what political persuasion , always to stand up to fascism and all its evil .
  • Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    It was undoubtedly horrific and a testament of mankind's inhumanity to fellow man.

Some people obviously did survive but would have been scarred for life by it.

How would you get over such things? You couldn't really, you'd just be getting by on a daily basis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah the Sonderkommando (all jews) killed their SS guards and within a few hours they were all dead ...after that the Sonderkommandos often were locked inside the gas chambers with ordinary victims , they never knew when their time would be up either.
  • Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    jojoeno wrote: »
    Having been there just before Christmas I am surprised anybody survived there. I have to honestly state that it was very emotional and the scale of these camps is breath taking . Also the allies knew about them and did nothing. The Russians actually sat in Krakow for 3 weeks before entering Auschwitz and all the Nazis escaped and thousands of inmates sent on the long death match to Dachau.

If there is something you must do before you die a visit to Auschwitz is a must

It is a permanent reminder to all , no matter what political persuasion , always to stand up to fascism and all its evil .

I couldn't visit there or any of the concentration camps as thought of it's too horrific.

As long as people know what happened. There may be a few Holocaust deniers but the vast majority of people aren't.

It won't be forgotten.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know its a stupid discussion. You really don't know unless it happens. I feel sorry most for those poor children who didnt have a clue what was happening to them and that evil Mengel doing ghastly experiments on them. Poor innocent people. What a waste. Why people cant just live together in this great world i dont know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louise32 wrote: »
    I couldn't visit there or any of the concentration camps as thought of it's too horrific.

As long as people know what happened. There may be a few Holocaust deniers but the vast majority of people aren't.

It won't be forgotten.

Louise go , and learn more about these awful events fro just a few years ago
  • Options
    Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just visiting there was harrowing and horrific, so no I probably wouldn't of. From what I gather escaping would have be nigh on impossible. Roll call had to be something like the same number at both ends of the day even if they weren't all alive anymore. A successful escape attempt would probably just have punished others, one of the guides told us of one where either one or a few people escaped and so they locked up a number of people in isolated cells to basically starve to death.

It's easy to sit here and hypothesis now but I don't think its fair on the victims. (I know you don't mean any offense and I don't mean any either). They were in an impossibly difficult situation. Would the people saying they would escape or rebel really try knowing that if they failed they would just increase their personal suffering or if they succeeded (and actually probably failed as well) incite it on other completely innocent people as well. How would you realistically go about that when physically exhausted and malnourished?
  • Options
    Tim_WilkesTim_Wilkes Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    or any camp......Maybe a stupid question or a rhetorical one as most were killed as they arrived.
    Just if you were the chosen one to live, could you survive that environment. The smell, diseases, lice, infections, abuse, sleeping in a spoon position as there was no room, bodies around.

A similar environment still exists in prisons in 3rd world countries.
  • Options
    geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard the son of a survivor talking about his fathers experiences and he said his survival was just down to "pure luck", nothing more, nothing less.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No disrespect but I find it rather demeaning to all those millions who suffered horrors beyond our wildest imagines to play let's speculate on our survival chances in there.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quickly quelled
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I'm nowhere near as strong as those who survived.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wow...just wow! Also it's auschwitz by the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Escape was extremely hard as the Germans had a 30 Km exclusion zone around the nearby town of Oswedium and they killed 12000 of the jews who lived there and the other 2000 citizens were moved to Krakow it was in yesterdays DM
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon I might have escaped, I spent my whole childhood sneaking in or out of places and I'd see it as a challenge
    Fantasy Island Auschwitz wasn't! /rolleyes/ Most were dead within 30 minutes of arriving.
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow...just wow! Also it's auschwitz by the way.
    :confused:
    What do you thinks wrong with mal2pools post.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    Fantasy Island Auschwitz wasn't! /rolleyes/ Most were dead within 30 minutes of arriving.

And yet 114 people escaped