B T price changes

Announced (as you'd expect) with the headline, "BT cuts call packages prices again" - but there are prices increases hidden in there too!

The announcement.

Comments

• HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    Among the increases ('changes' or 'revisions' as BT prefers to call them) are:

1. A doubling of the 'call set-up fee' from 3p to 6p;

2. A quadrupling of the costs of daytime 0845 and 0870 calls at the weekend;

3. An 8.33% increase in the per minute cost of a standard UK 01/02 call on weekdays (from 3p/minute to 3¼p/minute);

4. The replacement of the 5½p charge for a UK 01/02 call of up to an hour during the day at the weekend with standard (weekday peak) per minute call charging (see 3 above).
  • LorenzoUKLorenzoUK Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad I am with Virgin Media!
  • TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    LorenzoUK wrote: »
    Glad I am with Virgin Media!

Who were the dearest provider around, so you must have been / are crazy! Or managed to scrounge a deal from then, as Virgin are losing 64,000+ customers per quarter from their phone service as they were the dearest provider going.

Especially for calls to International, non-geo and mobiles.

Those with BT lines get the best deals.

Use BT for line rental, go paperless soon to be 50p discount from 25p discount, pay by DD - (£10.50).

Use Primus Saver 2 for evening and weekend calls, there is no monthly fee and daytime rate doesn't kick in until 08:00 unlike BT, TT, Virgin etc.

You can then put calls to mobiles, international and daytime calls through Call 18185. 2p/min weekends and 6p/min weekdays to UK mobiles, international from 0.5p/min and UK landlines for 5p for the entire call.

Makes Virgin and now BT look the rip off they are!

Though I know some people are happy to pay the premium for laziness, and this is where Virgin and BT make their money.
  • LorenzoUKLorenzoUK Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sorry to steal your thunder, but for £26 per month, I have virgin line rental, 24/7 free land line calls, full tv package except sky sports and movies, V+ free, 2 mb broadband. So I aint complaining !
  • GinaGoldGinaGold Posts: 14,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Use BT for line rental, go paperless soon to be 50p discount from 25p discount - (£10.50).

I got my bill a few weeks ago, and my line rental for the above was £26.72, which is less than £9 a month. I think this was also because I pay by DD.
    Forum Member
    LorenzoUK wrote: »
    sorry to steal your thunder, but for £26 per month, I have virgin line rental, 24/7 free land line calls, full tv package except sky sports and movies, V+ free, 2 mb broadband. So I aint complaining !

Yes, as I said unless you can strike a deal, as Virgin are losing so many customers, they are giving out some ridiculous deals.

Though you don't get free calls, they are inclusive, they are paid for in your (reduced) monthly fee.

I have a TV package from Virgin for free, told them I'd dump my broadband, unless they gave me the deal I was after.

Don't have the phone line, because I use VoIP. - 2 years of service for around £4.
    Forum Member
    GinaGold wrote: »
    I got my bill a few weeks ago, and my line rental for the above was £26.72, which is less than £9 a month. I think this was also because I pay by DD.
    Didn't you forget the VAT?
    Forum Member
    Heinz wrote: »

It would appear they did.
  • GinaGoldGinaGold Posts: 14,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes I did. It's still cheaper than what I was paying a few months ago.
  • poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT Speak:

Price Reduction = Price cut
    Price Increase = Price Change.

Thank goodness for 18185.
  • CHUTNEYCHUTNEY Posts: 16,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Among the increases ('changes' or 'revisions' as BT prefers to call them) are:

1. A doubling of the 'call set-up fee' from 3p to 6p;

2. A quadrupling of the costs of daytime 0845 and 0870 calls at the weekend;

3. An 8.33% increase in the per minute cost of a standard UK 01/02 call on weekdays (from 3p/minute to 3¼p/minute);

4. The replacement of the 5½p charge for a UK 01/02 call of up to an hour during the day at the weekend with standard (weekday peak) per minute call charging (see 3 above).

No 4 is wrong-It's up to an hour in the evening and all day Sat and Sun. for 4.5 pence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CHUTNEY wrote: »
    No 4 is wrong-It's up to an hour in the evening and all day Sat and Sun. for 4.5 pence.

"ditto"

Also to meantion that:

Option 2 is now £3.45 (£1.45 pm on 12 month contract or free for a year on 18 month contract).

Option 3 is now £7.95

Also free Call Mobile plan on 12 month contract renewal and BT International Freedom option covers upto 36 countries for £5 a month.
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So whats the comparison from BT to Virgin Media or are they both about the same now?
    Forum Member
    CHUTNEY wrote: »
    Apologies, you're absolutely right - I must have got confused with the abolition of weekend rates for 0845 and 0870 calls - weekday and evening rates for such calls will apply 7 days a week from 1/8/07 resulting in dramatic increases for such calls at weekends (point 2).
  • steven3001steven3001 Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JUNE 1st Price Changes

Run down of prices

Ebilling discount increased from 25p to 50p

BT Together Option 1 remains at £11 or £10.50 with ebilling

Call Mobile, usually £1.50 can be given free for 1 year and then can be renewed every year after that (not available if you are already on a special offer. So really its available on option 1 and 2 with no terms and is provided free with option 3

BT Together Option 2 is £3.45 with no min term or can be taken free for 12 months saving £3.45 on a 18 month term or can be taken at £1.45 for 12 months and again this can be renewed year after year to continue on the same price.

BT Together Option 3 is now £7.95 and can be taken as an offer on a 12 month term and the first 3 months are provided free

BT INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM is £5 a month and covers unlimited calls to 36 countries, each call up to 1 hour in lengh (fair usuage applies) and this cannot be taken if you have BT Together International

AUGUST 1st Price Changes

Call set up 3p increased to 6p

BT Together Option 1 reduced from 5.5p to 4.5p per hour

Daytime UK calls increased from 3p to 3.25p per min

Mobile calls to be reduced on Call Mobile (weekends are been removed

0845 AND 0870 calls are been reduced and NOT increased (weekends are been removed) so depending on what you make your calls depends how it affects you.

Remember I work for BT in Sales

So strictly speaking there are more savings then increases and overall from the information given to us at work a few weeks back regarding this it will save the customers in total over £40 million quid.
    Forum Member
    steven3001 wrote: »
    0845 AND 0870 calls are been reduced and NOT increased (weekends are been removed) so depending on what you make your calls depends how it affects you.

Remember I work for BT in Sales
    You lost me there. Are you saying the new price of 6p/minute instead of the current price of 1½p/minute to make an 0870 call on a Saturday or Sunday during the day is NOT an increase?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT phoned me other day and call was about them being deregulated and as I was previous customer would I go back, I explained I was currently paying £8.50 line rental + £4.25 anytime calls + vat.
    The caller said I had a good deal and they wouldn't be able to match, he said he was gonna take me off the calling list (was a first + he was English:eek: )
    If anyones interested the provider is www.yourcalls.net
    Forum Member
    BT phoned me other day and call was about them being deregulated and as I was previous customer would I go back, I explained I was currently paying £8.50 line rental + £4.25 anytime calls + vat.
    The caller said I had a good deal and they wouldn't be able to match, he said he was gonna take me off the calling list (was a first + he was English:eek: )
    If anyones interested the provider is www.yourcalls.net

£1.50 per month for Caller Display, with BT you can get this for free.

With BT you can use 18185 for cheap calls to mobiles, international and even UK landlines.

With BT you can CPS other calls to Primus for no monthly fee free evening and weekend calls.

As long as you don't use Caller Display, and don't intend to call mobiles or international and use the phone a lot during the daytime it's OK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading the blurb, am I right in saying a 1 minute daytime call on Option 1 will be 9.25p:eek:
    Forum Member
    Reading the blurb, am I right in saying a 1 minute daytime call on Option 1 will be 9.25p:eek:
    Yes - but 5p if you use 1899, 18185 or 18866.

It's always been marginal as to whether it's worth the hassle of having a CPS provider for low users but, with the BT evening/weekend rate for UK 01/02 calls being reduced to 4½p, some people may now forget about Primus Saver Option 2 (free evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls of up to 90 minutes) and just stick with BT Together Option 1 and use of 18185 for weekday daytime 01, 02, 056, mobile and international calls.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I've got VOIP is all I can say
    Forum Member
    I'm glad I've got VOIP is all I can say

Me too. I'm VoIP Only - no traditional landline.
    Forum Member
    Yes - but 5p if you use 1899, 18185 or 18866.

It's always been marginal as to whether it's worth the hassle of having a CPS provider for low users but, with the BT evening/weekend rate for UK 01/02 calls being reduced to 4½p, some people may now forget about Primus Saver Option 2 (free evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls of up to 90 minutes) and just stick with BT Together Option 1 and use of 18185 for weekday daytime 01, 02, 056, mobile and international calls.

I suppose it depends on how many calls you make at evening and weekends.

If like friends and family they make quite a few, Primus saves them a decent amount, but then I think they don't worry about phoning back several times with small calls when they no there is no charge, if they new they had to pay 4.5p each time, they'd not call as often, which is what they do during the daytime - they use 1899 for those calls, but try not to make too many.
    Forum Member
    If like friends and family they make quite a few, Primus saves them a decent amount, but then I think they don't worry about phoning back several times with small calls when they no there is no charge, if they new they had to pay 4.5p each time, they'd not call as often, which is what they do during the daytime - they use 1899 for those calls, but try not to make too many.
    Agreed. We find it very handy for getting hold of the one remaining relative who we haven't yet convinced to dump 1571 - on Primus, we don't care when we phone her evenings or weekends and get 1571 either because she can't get to the phone quickly enough, doesn't hear the phone (most of the time), is engaged on a call or is out.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see BT have still no made any price cost for anyone on BT Together option 1.

Darren