Options

Why don't USA offer to take thousands of refugees?

2»

Comments

• Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Excellent point, and one I've just been alluding to. Why aren't the USA, Canada and Russia for that matter, opening their doors to the vast wide open spaces in their respective countries?

Sorry, I don't get why it ALWAYS has to be Western Europe. The silence from other parts is deafening.

if they don't want to go to Hungary, they won't fancy Russia.
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    Excellent point, and one I've just been alluding to. Why aren't the USA, Canada and Russia for that matter, opening their doors to the vast wide open spaces in their respective countries?

Sorry, I don't get why it ALWAYS has to be Western Europe. The silence from other parts is deafening.
    For Canada they've been taking lessons from IDS, Australia hates foreigners and has a small problem with domestic violence, Russia has Putin.

Lets face it Western Europe or New Zealand are the only areas civilised enough
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same applies to the UK.

not really. there is a lot of people putting pressure on us. I bet there aren't many US politicians saying "we oughta help these poor a-rabs"
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not really. there is a lot of people putting pressure on us. I bet there aren't many US politicians saying "we oughta help these poor a-rabs"

Senate Dems call on Obama to resettle 65,000 Syrian refugees
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if they don't want to go to Hungary, they won't fancy Russia.

Beggars can't be choosers.........or can they? ^_^
  • Options
    MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They've probably got those wide open spaces earmarked for housing and feeding their own expanding populations. Not to mention the hundreds of thousands of immigrants and refugees that they already accept every year.

Because other countries don't allow themselves to be treated like doormats. Nor do they have vast hordes of sheltered, naive do-gooders actively campaigning to take on the burden of all the world's problems.
  • Options
    RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    US:

They don't want to, and no-one will be able to make them.

As they keep telling us, they're 'exceptional'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do they keep telling us that?
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member

you've probably said that about 3 times tonight

anyway they take in 10s of millions of poor mexicans :kitty:
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    you've probably said that about 3 times tonight

anyway they take in 10s of millions of poor mexicans :kitty:
    You are joking! :o

The only Mexicans they're interested in taking in are wealthy drug barons. The yanks love folk like them because they do damn good business in supplying the cartels with weapons and ammo.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/world/americas/26iht-border.4.20459692.html?_r=0

http://www.thenewamerican.com/world-news/north-america/item/17396-u-s-government-and-top-mexican-drug-cartel-exposed-as-partners
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    You are joking! :o

The only Mexicans they're interested in taking in are wealthy drug barons. The yanks love folk like them because they do damn good business in supplying the cartels with weapons and ammo.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/world/americas/26iht-border.4.20459692.html?_r=0

http://www.thenewamerican.com/world-news/north-america/item/17396-u-s-government-and-top-mexican-drug-cartel-exposed-as-partners

i'm not joking they have between 10 to 20 million illegal mexicans living in the US :kitty:
  • Options
    lakeslakes Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good point OP
  • Options
    hendollhendoll Posts: 5,646
    Forum Member
    Has there been any official statement from Canada on why they refused entry to the family of the boy who died? I can't find anything.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    hendoll wrote: »
    Has there been any official statement from Canada on why they refused entry to the family of the boy who died? I can't find anything.

Wasn't it something to do with Turkey refusing to issue passports?
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    i'm not joking they have between 10 to 20 million illegal mexicans living in the US :kitty:
    Seems your figures are wildly exaggerated. Probably sourced from the Daily Wail. ;-)

Of course wealthy Americans need Mexicans to do all their shitty jobs.....people like Meg Whitman former CEO of eBay who exploit them.
  • Options
    FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The Great British Bigots". I think I'm going to have that printed on merchandise and sell it. I am going to make a fortune because it identifies with so many people over there that they will proudly gobble them up. I'm going to be rich, rich I tell you.
  • Options
    tour de forcetour de force Posts: 4,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendoll wrote: »

There is no need for Canada to do so as according to AP, no application was ever made.

http://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2015/09/03/the-latest-greece-rescues-751-at-sea-in-latest-24-hours
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe Kanye West could go into Syria and sort it all out.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Malliday wrote: »
    They've probably got those wide open spaces earmarked for housing and feeding their own expanding populations. Not to mention the hundreds of thousands of immigrants and refugees that they already accept every year.

Because other countries don't allow themselves to be treated like doormats. Nor do they have vast hordes of sheltered, naive do-gooders actively campaigning to take on the burden of all the world's problems.

"Vast hordes"? Sounds a bit of an exaggeration!
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this new style 'refugee' we're seeing at the moment are simply not happy going to ANY safe country. They are asylum shoppers and quite frankly, deserve to be sent back. I'm talking about the hoards of seemingly single men who refuse to move, chant, fight and vandalise both in Hungary and Calais, not to mention attack civilians. Do we really want to take in thugs like this? What these young men are doing is undermining the real refugees who are putting up with living in UN camps. Many people are saying if they show this amount of passion, fight and aggression here, why not fight for their own country. No, it's easier to upsticks, leave their families to rot while they seek the good life.

If you were fleeing for your life, you would be happy in the first safe country. And Turkey, Hungary, France etc are all safe. I do think half the fault this week though it Merkel announcing she'd take nearly a million. It's now like a stampede. But no women and children first in this chaos, the young men are scrrambling over them to get first dibs on a new German life. But saying that, women and children don't seem to he held that high in a lot of middle eastern countries so it's no surprise.

I agree with Cameron and Andy Burnham when they say we should only take refugees who are at UN camps, genuine ones, not the ones we are already seeing in Europe.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another good point. But I'm assuming many of these refugees are Shiite Islam, so these Sunni countries won't have them.

The largest religious group in Syria are the Sunni Muslims which make up around 64% of the population. So why aren't they taking more in? Aren't the Saudis and other Gulf Arabs bombing ISIS as well? No point trying to advance an anti-US agenda when they actually do take refugees in.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2014/12/us-syrian-refugees-accept-thousands-resettlement.html#
    The United States takes in about 70,000 refugees a year, of whom Iraqis accounted for the largest number in the last fiscal year — nearly 20,000. They were followed by more than 16,000 Burmese, more than 9,000 Bhutanese, more than 7,000 Somalis and more than 4,000 Cubans. The number of Bhutanese is dwindling, however, opening up room for more Syrians.

Read more: http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/orig...#ixzz3khqwWBtY

It doesn't look like they're doing much when you read further. Reading this bit:

In an interview with Al-Monitor Dec. 22, Richard said, “People are surprised we haven’t taken more.” She said the initial low numbers reflect the reality that “resettling refugees is never the first thing you do when people are fleeing an emerging crisis” and that other countries — in particular Germany and Sweden — have “stepped forward and offered to take a lot” of Syrian refugees.

it would seem as soon as other countries say they'll take more, America rubs it's hands with glee.

And:
    UNHCR seeks to identify the most vulnerable candidates, Richard said. “By Dec. 15, we had 10,000 referrals from UNHCR and they are coming in at 1,000 to 1,500 a month.”

Asked how many of those referred would be accepted, Richard said, “I think most” because they are likely to meet the United State's definition of a refugee as someone fleeing persecution or threats because of race, ethnicity, religion, political beliefs or membership to a particular social group.

Refugees must also pass medical and security checks.
  • Options
    RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malliday wrote: »
    Do they keep telling us that?

Yes they do. Perhaps you haven't heard many Obama speeches, but he regularly reminds us of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_exceptionalism

And since 9/11 it's taken on a particularly nasty 'we do what we like' flavour.
    Exceptionalism as "exemptionalism"

During the George W. Bush administration, the term was somewhat abstracted from its historical context. Proponents and opponents alike began using it to describe a phenomenon wherein certain political interests view the United States as being "above" or an "exception" to the law, specifically the Law of Nations. (This phenomenon is less concerned with justifying American uniqueness than with asserting its immunity to international law.)

And thus why many of their leading politicians don't feel any responsibility whatsoever for the crisis their policies have created and haven't made any offer to alleviate it.

It comes to something when Putin starts giving lectures, and in this case, is correct...

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/04/middleeast/turkey-russia-blame-west-migrant-crisis/
    Putin, speaking to the Russian news agency TASS, said he warned the West about the possible consequences of its Mideast and Africa policy several years ago.

"What is this policy about? This is imposing its standards without taking into consideration historic, religious, national and cultural specifics of these regions," Putin told the Russian news agency TASS at the Eastern Economic Forum in Vladivostok. "This is first of all, the policy of our American partners."

"I am looking with surprise at certain American mass media now criticizing Europe for an excessively tough, as they believe, treatment of migrants," Putin added.

Europe is "blindly following U.S. instructions" and suffering greatly, he said.

Ignore the blatant hypocrisy of Putin's attitude towards the Baltic States, this is specifically about what America has done to create this crisis, and they are not taking responsibility for it!
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Harper's Canada... another country that likes to stick its oar into countries that have nothing to do with them (Ukraine, cough cough) but clearly seems to think it has no international responsibilities.

Canada has strict entry criteria for family migration visas.
    They are tough,but fair.
    Clearly the person who was refused entry did not meet the criteria that every other family immigration entrant was assessed by.
    That does not make Harper a monster,them's the rules !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they do. Perhaps you haven't heard many Obama speeches, but he regularly reminds us of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_exceptionalism

And since 9/11 it's taken on a particularly nasty 'we do what we like' flavour.

And thus why many of their leading politicians don't feel any responsibility whatsoever for the crisis their policies have created and haven't made any offer to alleviate it.

It comes to something when Putin starts giving lectures, and in this case, is correct...

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/04/middleeast/turkey-russia-blame-west-migrant-crisis/

Ignore the blatant hypocrisy of Putin's attitude towards the Baltic States, this is specifically about what America has done to create this crisis, and they are not taking responsibility for it!

Look, you've obviously got a bee in your bonnet about the United States, but I don't hear them talking about being exceptional all the time.

You're taking the rhetoric of politicians, historians and thinkers, much of which emerged in the dawning of a brand new nation, and applying it to a whole nation and hundreds of millions of people in the modern day.

It's a pretty pathetic generalisation to being hanging onto.

And if you're going to start quoting Vladimir Putin of all people as an authority on America's shortcomings, especially if you're going to say 'ignore Putin's hypocrisy' in the process, then I know for certain that you've got a prejudiced point of view.