Options

Malaysian Airline 777 missing 239 feared dead

Comments

• Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong area but didn't this happen a lot around the Bermuda Triangle ?

Bombs on planes?
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a manager for Virgin Atlantic. When I was senior cabin crew I worked on Malaysian Airlines for a year. - there was a code share and Virgin had 2 Virgin Atlantic Crew onboard the Malaysian aircraft flying from London. We wore Virgin Uniform and were like representatives of Virgin. They stopped having Virgin Crew onboard after the year and I returned to flying Virgin Atlantic.

Have bsome great memories of their crew, it was fun.

So tragic for the families of the passengers and crew.
  • Options
    pmbondpmbond Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you look on flightradar24.com they seem to have good coverage of the sea between Malaysia and Vietnam. One minute it is at 35000 feet and the next it had completely disappeared.
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    Bombs on planes?
    Sorry quoted the wrong post . But planes lost contact over the Bermuda Triangle quite often didn't they ? .
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Sorry quoted the wrong post . But planes lost contact over the Bermuda Triangle quite often didn't they ? .

Not as often as they would have you believe tbh. A lot of them turn out to be further away but are reported to be close to etc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has been reported that the Italian passenger never boarded the plane and is well and alive in Thailand. He reported his passport stolen last year. Italian authorities have confirmed this.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vietnam Air Force planes have spotted two oil slicks suspected to be from missing Malaysia Airlines plane

Sky News
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Source of the above: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl
    =auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&
    u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.blitzquotidiano.it%2F
    cronaca-mondo%2Faereo-malaysian-scompare
    -in-mare-239-a-bordo-anche-litaliano-lui
    gi-maraldi-1810638%2F
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is now also being reported that the Austrian on the passenger list is alive and well and never boarded the plane:

http://derstandard.at/1392687577976/Kontakt-zu-Flugzeug-der-Malaysia-Air-verloren

If that is true, there were two people on that plane with false documentation.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible, RIP to all onboard, condolences to all their families and friends :(
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's too early to say, but the lack of mayday suggests a mid-air break up or instant loss of power and communication.

With it emerging two of the passengers were travelling on stolen passports, it's all looking rather sinister.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1MJ1 wrote: »
    It is now also being reported that the Austrian on the passenger list is alive and well and never boarded the plane:

Their passports had been reported stolen 'during the past two years' in Thailand. Looks like Customs will have some questions to answer on that one.

An Austrian and Italian.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1MJ1 wrote: »

http://derstandard.at/1392687577976/Kontakt-zu-Flugzeug-der-Malaysia-Air-verloren

One of the passports was stolen last summer, the other two years ago. My feeling on it is that people traveling on fake passports may be more common than my perception on it was.

I just can't see why you'd wait such large amounts of time between theft and use (and the discrepancy between the timescales in which they were both stolen).

That said, it's certainly concerning that no mayday call was made, whilst I've seen some news agencies comparing this incident to the Air France flight over the Atlantic (I believe based on the time of the incident), I'm under the impression that the significant difference between the two was that Air France was in a between two radio contact points, the Malaysia Air flight looks to be in an area with good coverage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TigerBlood wrote: »
    , I'm under the impression that the significant difference between the two was that Air France was in a between two radio contact points, the Malaysia Air flight looks to be in an area with good coverage.

This is my understanding too.
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    Because of the world we live in today, I immediately think terrorism which is wrong. The stolen passport story i guess is more just a criminal part of passport fraud rather than something more sinister, well i hope so.

Also if anyone tried to get in the cockpit, the pilots would have called for help immediately.
  • Options
    DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been listening for updates on this all through the night.

I just hope, by some freak condition, that they are found alive somewhere.
    The longer the search carries on the less likely any of them would be alive. Had a look at Marine and Planes tracker and the area where plane was lost is empty of any searchers. Even if a searching plane or ship looks at the sea,the chances of seeing anyone in it is very small, as people would be tiny. A very sad happening all the same. :(
  • Options
    BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    Because of the world we live in today, I immediately think terrorism which is wrong. The stolen passport story i guess is more just a criminal part of passport fraud rather than something more sinister, well i hope so.

Also if anyone tried to get in the cockpit, the pilots would have called for help immediately.

Air France Flight 447 which has been compared to this incident had passengers with false documentation on board and at least one terror suspect.

But as we know now it was nothing to do with terrorism, could be the case here too.
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    Benllech wrote: »
    Air France Flight 447 which has been compared to this incident had passengers with false documentation on board and at least one terror suspect.

But as we know now it was nothing to do with terrorism, could be the case here too.

Yea, it does seem to be one of those unfortunate rare accidents.
  • Options
    xfactorisgr8xfactorisgr8 Posts: 20,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand the media being outside the airport as it is a big news story.. but can they please stop harassing the families as they leave and enter the airport..these poor families must be going through hell today and the media pointing cameras infront of them will hardly be helping the situation.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand the media being outside the airport as it is a big news story.. but can they please stop harassing the families as they leave and enter the airport..these poor families must be going through hell today and the media pointing cameras in front of them will hardly be helping the situation.
    I very much doubt they are following this thread on DS and seen your post request.

As journalists they have a job to do and this is how we get News which you are seeing on your television.

Maybe you should switch it off?
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand the media being outside the airport as it is a big news story.. but can they please stop harassing the families as they leave and enter the airport..these poor families must be going through hell today and the media pointing cameras infront of them will hardly be helping the situation.

I'm afraid whether or not you like it, it happens in all disasters.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would terrorists target a Malaysian airline? :confused:
  • Options
    MikeJWMikeJW Posts: 3,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    I expect conspiracy theories have been dreamed up already to explain all (ie it wasn't terrorists but the CIA/ Mossad/ whoever).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because it was a Chinese Southern code share? There is some terrorist activity going on in China at the moment as the recent mass stabbing incident shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Separatist Islamists are thought to have been behind the massacre at a Chinese Tube Station recently.

This flight was bound for China. 50% of the passengers were nationals.

Tedious link I know.
This discussion has been closed.