Zafira error messages

1965Wolf1965Wolf Posts: 1,783
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a Zafira and a while ago it was serviced and we then had a new timing belt fitted. Since then we have intermittently had a light come up in the shape of a spanner. Garage reckoned it was something that just needed resetting and that was done today.

Light came back on afterwards and garage hooked it up to computer and said two error codes- P0014 and P 0597. Their resident expert is away til Monday on a course. Are we safe to drive especially on a long drive this weekend to London. Also- any idea what the issues are? I have googled and dint really understand.

Thanks

Comments

• IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1965Wolf wrote: »
    I have a Zafira and a while ago it was serviced and we then had a new timing belt fitted. Since then we have intermittently had a light come up in the shape of a spanner. Garage reckoned it was something that just needed resetting and that was done today.

Light came back on afterwards and garage hooked it up to computer and said two error codes- P0014 and P 0597. Their resident expert is away til Monday on a course. Are we safe to drive especially on a long drive this weekend to London. Also- any idea what the issues are? I have googled and dint really understand.

Thanks

P0014 is indicating that the camshaft timing is not correct...this is a problem caused by not setting the camshaft timing properly when changing the timing belt.

Take the car back and insist they rectify the problem before you go on your trip...it is very important!!!!

The other code relates to a temperature fault. I t could be that a sensor has been damaged during the timing belt job or some other fault. Is the heater working properly and the coolant level correct?
    It's possible this code may clear when the camshaft timing is reset correctly.
  • 1965Wolf1965Wolf Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problem re temperature thanks. So the other issue may have happened when the belt was changed? What could go wrong on our trip?

Thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What could go wrong...well, it depends if it was only set incorrectly and the car starts and runs fairly decent...in my opinion it may be down on power and the idling a bit rough.

If the belt is loose...which is what may possibly have caused the timing to be wrong by the timing belt jumping a tooth because the belt is too slack, then it's possible that the belt could jump off and seriously damage the engine ...admittedly this is worse case scenario but possible.
    Checking and resetting the camshaft timing is not a big issue for the garage to tackle.
    The timing has most probably been set incorrectly when the belt was replaced.

Reading up on the other code ...that seems to relate to the thermostat housing which has sensors...one of these could be faulty or the thermostat is faulty...could also just be a red herring and as I said earlier, could reset itself when the cam timing is corrected.

Bottom line...minimum situation.....lacking power and higher fuel consumption with possible starting and idling issues but will run fairly reasonable.
    Worse case...belt jumps off and wrecks the engine.

Edit....does your engine sound noisier than it used to? Rattling noise like a diesel?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. No we haven't noticed a deasil sound. What would that mean?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. No we haven't noticed a deasil sound. What would that mean?

A rattling noise would indicate a possible fault with a solanoid that controls the variable valve timing on one of the camshafts...possibly exhaust....this might explain the warning light.
    I still think you may have had the valve timing set incorrectly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just one more question. Tonight the light was off for a journey of about ten miles then came on again for the return trip. Does this indicate some kind of loose connection as opposed to an engine problem or am I being a bit optimistic?!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just one more question. Tonight the light was off for a journey of about ten miles then came on again for the return trip. Does this indicate some kind of loose connection as opposed to an engine problem or am I being a bit optimistic?!!

Does seem to be an intermittent problem.

If the car is running fine without any unusual noises from the engine then it sounds less worrying.
    I think from the sound of things that you might be fine with it on your trip, but of course i haven't driven the car.
    Just keep an eye on things until you can get it back to the garage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks sir. Decided not to risk it and car booked in for Monday.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a thing you can do with the pedals and ignition on the Zafira where you can get various error codes to come up. I think you have to hold the brake and accelerator down, then turn the ignition (but not turn over the engine) and the codes come up where your mileage is. Then google them.