Options

Gall Bladder Removal... Experiences ?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    That sounds nice that it will soon be Saturday! I can spend the day in front of the TV recovering and watching rubbish on the TV!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hope everything goes well Mr&MrsRR
  • Options
    Bendy WendyBendy Wendy Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hannahike wrote: »
    That sounds nice that it will soon be Saturday! I can spend the day in front of the TV recovering and watching rubbish on the TV!

....and posting on here ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Wendy and hannahike ( all the best for friday) well i am up early this morning( same time i get up for work LOL) had some cornflakes and a cup of tea , i have to be at the hospital for 12 noon so i am just keeping my mind busy.

My other half is still in bed she is going to the hospital with me later so thats all for now

Thanks for your support !:)
  • Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Home yesterday after overnight stay in the Glasgow Royal having my gallbladder removed. all went very well.. and was walking around an hour later.. a bit stiff now but nothing like the pain of the gallstones .. so on the mend. good luck to anyone having it done.. I dont have stitches as I asked for the cuts to be glued so no problems there,.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hope everything has gone well Mr&MrsRR, I'm assuming by now your all done and slowly coming round.

Glad everything went well for you calamity!

Just have a bit of a personal question and I understand if nobody wants to answer but as I mentioned before I am overweight at 5ft8in and 16st 5lbs (according to the hospital scales today when I went for my pre ass). Anyone else had the op that is classes as overweight that can share their experience regarding the anasetic (sp?!) as that us what really worried about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope everything has gone well Mr&MrsRR, I'm assuming by now your all done and slowly coming round.

Glad everything went well for you calamity!

Just have a bit of a personal question and I understand if nobody wants to answer but as I mentioned before I am overweight at 5ft8in and 16st 5lbs (according to the hospital scales today when I went for my pre ass). Anyone else had the op that is classes as overweight that can share their experience regarding the anasetic (sp?!) as that us what really worried about.

Can't really help I'm afraid, except to say that they ask your height and weight in the outer theatre so I'm sure they'll have it covered - after all, they must be able to cope with blokes who are tall and heavy? I'm sure you won't be the first person they've anaesthetised who's outside the perfect height/weight guidelines :)

Rest assured, these guys know their stuff :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update my op got cancelled got to hospital early 11.15 am as always like to be early, anyway went into side room got bp taken and blood taken,then anaesthetist arrived he spoke me through things.

Then female surgeon who was assisting the surgeon doing op asking questions then i signed consent form, she went away then i put gown on and socks then nurse gave me pre-med an hour passed i starting wondering what was going on, then nurse came in and told me operation was off!

I was gobsmacked the operation my surgeon was doing on a gallbladder had over run over 2hrs he run out of theatre time, he came ans saw me and apologised i feel very deflated got new date 14th november
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr&MrsRR wrote: »
    Update my op got cancelled got to hospital early 11.15 am as always like to be early, anyway went into side room got bp taken and blood taken,then anaesthetist arrived he spoke me through things.

Then female surgeon who was assisting the surgeon doing op asking questions then i signed consent form, she went away then i put gown on and socks then nurse gave me pre-med an hour passed i starting wondering what was going on, then nurse came in and told me operation was off!

I was gobsmacked the operation my surgeon was doing on a gallbladder had over run over 2hrs he run out of theatre time, he came ans saw me and apologised i feel very deflated got new date 14th november

Awww, that's really poor! :(

Difficult to know what to say!

I'm sure you've gone through all kinds of anxieties, pschying yourself up just to be ready for today. You must be gutted (poor choice of phrase):o.

The six weeks or so will soon pass, hope you're not in too much discomfort in the meantime.

Best wishes x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Wendy just a bit down just now got to go through it all again! i feel not to bad gallbladder wise not to many twinges just now but i suppose if it got worse i would get rushed to hospital and it would be removed before 6 weeks hope not though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hope everything goes well, i'm sure the time will fly by.
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for leaving some stones in? Well. I can only imagine that these guys are VERY experienced. If you're having keyhole surgery, they probably have some kind of camera inside you and make sure they take away all that they need to:cool:.

Wendy is right - for me they made 4 little holes - 3 for the tools and 1 for the camera so they can see what they are doing ... I don't think there is any chance they would leave any stones unturned (so to speak!).

Hannah I am the same height as you and probably not an awful lot less weight ... there was no problem with the anaesthetic for me. Things have come on a lot in this area and they really do know what they are doing. For me they put the needle in my hand, told me I would be asleep in 30 secs, and I was gone within about 4 secs! I woke up 90 mins later wondering if I had even had the op cos I didn't feel like I'd been messed around with at all!

All the best for tomorrow ...
    Mr&MrsRR wrote: »
    Update my op got cancelled

O no! So now you have to psych yourself up twice over!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alsmama wrote: »

All the best for tomorrow ...

And from me too :) This time tomorrow it'll be all over.

You'll be grand! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the best hannahike for tomorrow you will be fine!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hey everyone, well I am updating from my bedside, gall bladderless. What a mess this morning was. So me and my mum got to the hospital at 7:30 and checked in, by this point I was pretty hysterical! Got to the ward and they did all their checks, there was a lady beside me with a similar now and they kept getting us mixed up. Thankfully she was having her Gall Bladder out as well (just in case the wrong note went to surgery!) the anththatist (sp?) came round to see me and talked me through everything. Then the surgeon came to see me. He told me about the side affects and I asked him to make sure the clips werent going to come out. He said he's to 3000 gb removals and only once has a clip come of. Would have been nice if he lied to me at that point!!
    About 8:15 a nurse came to ask if I wanted a drink and said that my op had to be pushed back to this afternoon. That set me off again in tears lol. The nurse brought me some water but I didn't want any. 5 minutes later still in jeans and tshirts the surgeon came over in his scrubs asking if I was ready to go! By this point I was pretty lost! He went to speak to the nurses and they came running to check that I hadn't drank anything, thankfully I hadn't. Within 5 minutes I had my tights on and gown on and was been wheeled down to theatre. The aunthitist and nurse were lovely in theatre, he gave me some pain liquid in my drip thingy and I started to feel a bit funny. He then put something else in and all I remember was the ceiling light started to go wavy and next this I was being woken up with the worst pain all round my body. By 11:30 I was back on the ward slowly coming round. I've had two biscuits and a piece of toast and drank lots of water. My wounds are a bit ozzy (sorry) and the pain from the gas has gone since I've got out of bed a sat in the chair. Just waiting to go home now! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done you!:)

I'm doing fairly well but I can't wait to get the bloody clips out! They're in just the wrong place but I suppose I'd say that wherever they were :o

Glad to see you're doing so well but be careful about that wind...it can turn around and bite you on the bum! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well done you!:)

I'm doing fairly well but I can't wait to get the bloody clips out! They're in just the wrong place but I suppose I'd say that wherever they were :o

Glad to see you're doing so well but be careful about that wind...it can turn around and bite you on the bum! :D

It has now turned around and bit me on the bum! It hurts occasionally in my shoulders but certain ways of sitting makes it go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has now turned around and bit me on the bum! It hurts occasionally in my shoulders but certain ways of sitting makes it go.

It'll probably last a day or two but I'm told sucking strong peppermints helps :)

Are you home yet or staying in overnight?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So glad all has gone ok (more or less!). Hoping that you are safely home now.

What are these clips? Are they instead of stitches?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I Came home about 3:30 yesterday afternion, ended up back in hospital at 9 as my tummy button wound was bleeding a little to much so they put a fresh dressing on and it's been fine since.

I slept right through from 12 till 4am but was then I'm and out of sleep till 7:30. I then go out of bed to use the toilet and I think some gas had been hiding somewhere as I'm am in insane pain with it now in my ribs and sholders, I've never felt pain like it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alsmama wrote: »
    So glad all has gone ok (more or less!). Hoping that you are safely home now.

What are these clips? Are they instead of stitches?

Hi alsmama:)

Clips are literally like small staples :eek: I took my dressings off (as advised) after about 4 days and they've been quite sore since, so yesterday I put some germoline antiseptic on them and covered them again. The hospital gave me some small pliers :eek: to give to the nurse to remove them when I go on Monday and according to the letter I got, under no circumstances must you try and remove them yourself as you may inadvertantly tighten them :eek::eek::eek: (hannah you have been warned!!:cool:)

Oh, do try and get the extra strong mints - that wind is a bugger but it'll soon pass (pardon the expression:o:o) :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done hannahike bet your glad its over dispite all the hassle in the run up to your op just wish mine was out now after wednesday"s fiasco:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hope these 6 weeks fly by for you :( I'm sure they will and before you know it you'll be on the mend in time for Christmas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey the clips sound scary! I wonder why they used those. I had dissolving stitches and 3 days post op we removed the dressings and all was healed already. There must be some reason for using clips over stitches but I can't think what!
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm following this thread with both interest and apprehension.

I've just been diagonosed with gallstones and I'm being referred to the consultant.

From my scan they think I've passed a 9mm stone as my bile duct is now this size, much larger than it should be.

From the pain I had I wouldn't be surprised!