Error 80710723 on Store Downloads

steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have Playstation Plus and hence end up doing some pretty huge downloads when they bring out new full games etc. Fine in theory as I have 30mb virgin cable, no downloads limits, no problemo, in theory at least.

However, I have noticed that (particularly when performing a large download e.g. 2GB+) it has a tendency to fail so far through with the 80710725 error message. I have checked the suggested actions and they seem to indicate the system lost the internet connection which shouldn't be happening since the PS3 has a direct ethernet connection to the superhub (cable modem/router).

The annoying thing is that as the PS3 seems to lack a download manager, you have to start the download again from scratch every time this happens, quite a pain for those 10GB+ downloads.

I suspect it may be related to loading on Sony's servers (or perhaps on the virgin media cable too) as I most often get the error at peak hours e.g. 6PM-11PM, often if I download again off peak e.g. morning, it will download ok.

Is it just Sony's servers becoming overwhelmed or could I have a problem in my set up?

Comments

• gothergother Posts: 14,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be down to VMs traffic management. Once you reach 2gb usage in a day you get your speed throttled to 2mbs.
  • rehmanmohamedrehmanmohamed Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my money would be on Virgin's speed throttling as well
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    PS3 does have a download manager.

I only have a 1mbps connection so I often download about 1-2 gb of a 10gb+ Playstation Plus game per day until it finally finishes
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Could be down to VMs traffic management. Once you reach 2gb usage in a day you get your speed throttled to 2mbs.

Do Virgin really throttle that much on the (L) 30mb? I have done some massive downloads before (in the same day) and watched streaming video on Netflix/Lovefilm without any apparent loss of speed.

Besides, even if the throttling did kick in surely it would only slow the downloading down, not cut it off altogether?

The item I had the issue with (Ratchet and Clank All for One) downloaded perfectly (and pretty quickly) the next morning so it definitely seems to be an issue with downloading at peak hours.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steven123 wrote: »
    Do Virgin really throttle that much on the (L) 30mb? I have done some massive downloads before (in the same day) and watched streaming video on Netflix/Lovefilm without any apparent loss of speed.

Besides, even if the throttling did kick in surely it would only slow the downloading down, not cut it off altogether?

The item I had the issue with (Ratchet and Clank All for One) downloaded perfectly (and pretty quickly) the next morning so it definitely seems to be an issue with downloading at peak hours.

On you package the STM would be 3.6GB in the evening (16:00 - 21:00) and 7GB during the day (10:00 - 15:00). I cant see the traffic management causing a download error but busy congested periods on Virgin coinciding with heavy usage periods on the PSN might cause an issue.

If your on PS+ let the automated update option do the downloading for you.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to have errors galore when i was on VM although at the time i was on their 10mbs package. But since switching providers i have no errors but it takes a very long time to download psn content. I suspect that's down to psn though.
    It may be worth you upgrading to vms 60mbs package if you can afford it otherwise shop around and if you're out of contract haggle with VM. It's not uncommon for people to be given the 60mbs pack for the price of the 30mbs pack.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had no issues with Virgin Media and the PSN, no errors, no lag and fast downloads.