Thunderbirds movie on tv.

2»

Comments

• Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I would love to see a Captain Scarlet movie. It was always the most grown-up of Anderson's concepts, and very, very dark.
    Yes indeed, and could easily be "Battlestar Galactica"-ed into a metaphor for the War On Terror, e.g. massive foreign forces (Earth) carrying out a war many miles away (Mars), with the Mysterons as Terrorists turning Earthlings to their "radical" cause, and the "This is the voice of The Mysterons" messages as the equivalent of suicide videos... though quite what that makes The Angels, I don't know :)
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just reading an article in a magazine, interviewing one of the producers Richard Taylor, who stated that for copyright reasons they cannot copy the designs of the craft verbatim anyway.

A few other things I gleaned was that the shows will be 30 mins each, and while some may think that's not right because the originals were an hour, to be fair todays youth would not have the attention span to sit still for an hour, and I have to agree.

And rest assured it will be aimed at the kids, as was the original. They are not going to spend millions making a new series to appeal to ageing fanboys.

We can only hope that the people making it have the smarts to ensure it also harks back enough to the original series to appeal to adults, as well as the kids.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes indeed, and could easily be "Battlestar Galactica"-ed into a metaphor for the War On Terror, e.g. massive foreign forces (Earth) carrying out a war many miles away (Mars), with the Mysterons as Terrorists turning Earthlings to their "radical" cause, and the "This is the voice of The Mysterons" messages as the equivalent of suicide videos... though quite what that makes The Angels, I don't know :)

Radical, but it would be great if they did it.

Scarlet always had a dark side to it, it was the most adult-themed of all the puppet shows. I guess for that reason it is my favourite.

I loved the BSG re-imagining, and that would be absolutely perfect for Scarlet.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just reading an article in a magazine, interviewing one of the producers Richard Taylor, who stated that for copyright reasons they cannot copy the designs of the craft verbatim anyway.

A few other things I gleaned was that the shows will be 30 mins each, and while some may think that's not right because the originals were an hour, to be fair todays youth would not have the attention span to sit still for an hour, and I have to agree.

And rest assured it will be aimed at the kids, as was the original. They are not going to spend millions making a new series to appeal to ageing fanboys.

We can only hope that the people making it have the smarts to ensure it also harks back enough to the original series to appeal to adults, as well as the kids.

how do you arrive at that conclusion ?

Doctor Who is 50 minutes (longer at times) , and how long are those Transformers movies , Harry Potter etc. over 2 and a half hours each , they seem to watch them well enough .

• ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Gerry Anderson's shows from Thunderbirds onwards weren't just aimed at kids. Granada used to show them at 1830 after the news. They were shows which the whole family could watch without any of them being bored or having their intelligence insulted.
    Not counting the execrable Terrahawks, obviously.