Options

Rice Pudding

AceMcCloudAceMcCloud Posts: 2,458
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hoping someone can help, my gran used to make amazing rice pudding before she died and I can't seem to get it right when I try to make it

I'm talking about very basic rice, sugar, milk and butter with a pinch of salt

No matter what I try I can't get it to taste sweet, it's just very bland

I've tried using all sorts of sugar, cooking it for different times at different temps, adding more sugar but it always turns out the same

I've read some recipes that include cream as well as milk but I can't remember my gran using cream at all, would this have a big impact?

Any other thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's two types of rice pudding, the sort you mix everything together and bake and the sort where you cook the rice and then mix it with twice the volume of hot vanilla pudding, like Bird's custard. The second type is much sweeter and creamier.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    are you using pudding rice ?
  • Options
    Simon_MoreSimon_More Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to swap some of the milk with condensed milk. I add a couple of drops of vanilla essence when cooked. Put some sweetener in as well. When cooked though. I use the slow cooker yum yum
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the type where you mix it all together and bake

yes I'm using pudding rice, tried allsorts of that too

How much condensed milk do I swap and is it a like for like swap?
  • Options
    roniandfredroniandfred Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    try using full cream milk, or i use jersey milk for rice pudding,
    bottle jersey milk, 2 oz pudding rice, about 2 oz sugar, knob of butter,
    stir, i like nutmeg on mine, put in oven for about 2 hours isn,
    stir half way through, if not sweet enough add some more sugar.
    lovely brown skin on top, iif you don't want the skin, stir more often !
    delicious.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AceMcCloud wrote: »
    Hoping someone can help, my gran used to make amazing rice pudding before she died and I can't seem to get it right when I try to make it

I've tried using all sorts of sugar, cooking it for different times at different temps, adding more sugar but it always turns out the same

I've read some recipes that include cream as well as milk but I can't remember my gran using cream at all, would this have a big impact?

Any other thoughts?

My gran used to make it like this too. Milk, butter, rice, sugar and pinch of salt. No vanilla, cream or anything else. She couldn't afford it. I have never been able to replicate what she made with a beautiful skin on top. What I have ended up with is akin to a soup no matter how much milk to rice I use.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    As luck would have it, I made Arroz Con Leche on the weekend, for the old man who is lactose intolerant and a type-2 diabetic.

I used Lactose free milk and Spenda (which is ridiculously expensive!), but you can use whole milk and sugar, as the recipe states.

From memory

1 litre lactose free whole milk.
    100g Splenda or sugar.
    1 x 10cm cinnamon stick
    Zest of 1 lemon
    150g pudding rice.
    30g unsalted butter

Put everything except the sugar into a saucepan.
    Leave for 30 minutes.
    Bring to the boil, stirring regularly.
    Once about to boil, turn off the heat and add the sugar.
    Stir to dissolve sugar.
    Put into an ovenproof dish.
    Dot the top with the unsalted butter (can be tricky when liquid is hot!).

Bake at 150C for about 45-60 mins.

Serve cold. Put some sugar on the top and blowtorch or grill to caramelise if you like.

It tastes great.
  • Options
    aggielaneaggielane Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AceMcCloud wrote: »

Any other thoughts?

Bottled whole milk from a milkman used to have cream at the top of it, could it be that? Or creamy milk from Jersey cows?

Putting a little condensed / evaporated milk in a rice pudding is common in some families, as is sprinkling a little grated nutmeg on top.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take the salt out of it OP, that will make it taste less sweet to start with. Never heard of putting salt into any kind of milk pudding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Take the salt out of it OP, that will make it taste less sweet to start with. Never heard of putting salt into any kind of milk pudding.

Thanks I'll give it a try, I've always wondered about the salt too