Nigel Farage blasts Eurovision 'prejudice' against UK

2»

Comments

• gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    Sorry but the European public voted strongly for us when we last had a decent song (Blue in 2011), we came fifth the the televote and it was the juries who voted us down, we came 22nd in their vote. Back in 2009 when it was 100% televoting we came fifth and even received 12 points from Greece plus quite a few 10 points from many countries.
    2009 was actually the first year of 50/50. We came 10th in the televote, 3rd with the juries and 5th overall.
  • poshblokeposhbloke Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nasty little spiv Farage strikes again... Does he really think that millions of people across Europe sit at home thinking along the lines of "I must vote for whatever song is representing a country whose politics I agree with"? Or could it be that our recent entries which have done badly have done so because they weren't very good? Expect a much better showing this time to confound the "no-one likes us, we don't care" fraternity.

Apologies for going on about politics, but (just for the avoidance of any doubt!), I truly detest Nigel Farage and the small minded homophobic, xenophobic, lay all of your problems at the door of Johnny Foreigner way of thinking he and his paymasters espouse >:(
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well said Nigel. Vote UKIP.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    poshbloke wrote: »
    Nasty little spiv Farage strikes again... Does he really think that millions of people across Europe sit at home thinking along the lines of "I must vote for whatever song is representing a country whose politics I agree with"? Or could it be that our recent entries which have done badly have done so because they weren't very good? Expect a much better showing this time to confound the "no-one likes us, we don't care" fraternity.

(

No - but as evidenced by the era of 100% televoting a lot of 12 points were voted not based on who had the song but who the largest migrant majority was in that nation casting votes. Did Germans always think Turkey had the best song, why did Ireland give its 12 points either to Latvia or Lithuania 5 years in a row when it never had done pre 2004, why did Russia keep getting 12 points from the ex USSR states etc etc.

If you think people vote solely on songs and performance....
  • AliceyAlicey Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    Well said Nigel. Vote UKIP.

UKIP are performing tonight?:o
    Forum Member
    Alicey wrote: »
    UKIP are performing tonight?:o

I don't know - UK is all about power to the people and us being children of the universe (not of the EU!).

Eurovision proves Europe is bigger than the EU - and you can exist outside it. 10 of tonights 26 finalists aren't EU members - how do they survive and be able to write songs/enter Eurovision?

I love Europe in all its diversity - I am just not that partial to Brussels!

"I've been tired of this thinking (hey)
    so I've drowned it out with drinking (oh)"
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's probably forgotten the fact that the UK is joint second in the all time wins. The French haven't won it for almost 40 years and the country that is the centre of all things Europe Germany have only won it twice.
  • Bagshot85Bagshot85 Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    UKIP leader doesn't like Eurovision or the BBC's gay presenters, big surprise?
    Forum Member
    Bagshot85 wrote: »
    UKIP leader doesn't like Eurovision or the BBC's gay presenters, big surprise?

So if someone says they preferred Terry Wogan's Eurovision presenting style to Graham Norton's they are now apparently homophobic? I expect some people regarded Wogan's style as racist too - or maybe they just need a sense of humour!
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    For somebody who hates it and doesn't watch it he knows an awful lot about it.

Also how to milk the most cash out of it [Europe] for the least amount of effort!
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    shepster34 wrote: »
    [...]we have no neighbours to vote for us[...]

Yes we do. Ireland, France, Belgium and Holland are all relatively near neighbours, the intervening presence of the English Channel and the North and Irish Seas doesn't change that simple geographical fact. You don't actually have to have contiguous borders to be neighbours.

Next year there will also be Scotland, though they're perhaps unlikely to be very supportive :D